Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
IC2

Waxing/polishing

We are picking up a brand new 5er on Friday. Of course it has never been wax and probably wont have its first wash since being built in February until 10 minutes before we arrive. Now, with that said, I would like to give it a really good cleaning and then waxing before our first trip out a week or so later. It is fiberglass and is probably painted (tan/brown/black) instead of through and through white like the last one. It isn't ready for Poli-Glo and hopefully never will be. Past waxes/polishes have run the gamut of Nu-Finish, Mother's, Meguiar's NXT and a couple other pastes. I'm considering starting and continuing with NXT, especially since it's now a liquid instead of a paste. Then of course, I am getting a bit older too and simple seems to work better these days.

Now, after that blather, any comments on using the Meguiar's NXT? Any other preferences - common car/boat stuff preferred?? Oh and I did see Barry Meguiar filming a show last month at a car event with a crew of about 10-12 helper-gophers.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #2

We purchased a Mobile Suite in November 2011. It has never seen a water bath. Well, we bought it off the lot and sat there for 3 months before we adopted it, so the dealer probably washed it with Dawn. That's what they usually use. We have an acquaintance that owned an rv repair shop in Ventura, CA for over 30 years. He told us about Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All. It was invented for airplanes and is great for rv's. They have a website that has videos and tells you all about the product. The best thing about it is a long pole comes with it and you don't have to use any ladders to clean. It is waterless but leaves a "seal" on the finish that beads up in the rain. The dreaded bugs on the front nose cap are easily removed with water and the long pole. The black streak remover is really great. I don't sell it or have any connection with it, just use it and love it. I've tried Poli glo, hated it, tried Dri wash n guard, pretty good results but Wash Wax All is easy and way better. The initial kit is about $240 but I haven't purchased anything else except concentrated refills in 2 1/2 years.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
We purchased a Mobile Suite in November 2011. It has never seen a water bath. Well, we bought it off the lot and sat there for 3 months before we adopted it, so the dealer probably washed it with Dawn. That's what they usually use. We have an acquaintance that owned an rv repair shop in Ventura, CA for over 30 years. He told us about Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All. It was invented for airplanes and is great for rv's. They have a website that has videos and tells you all about the product. The best thing about it is a long pole comes with it and you don't have to use any ladders to clean. It is waterless but leaves a "seal" on the finish that beads up in the rain. The dreaded bugs on the front nose cap are easily removed with water and the long pole. The black streak remover is really great. I don't sell it or have any connection with it, just use it and love it. I've tried Poli glo, hated it, tried Dri wash n guard, pretty good results but Wash Wax All is easy and way better. The initial kit is about $240 but I haven't purchased anything else except concentrated refills in 2 1/2 years.

Worth a look - AMAZON has the kit for $190 + 15 bucks for shipping. They advertise that it's a good product where there are water restrictions and that probably makes it a good choice for those folks. We luckily don't have any of those restrictions. Lots of other Aero Cosmetics products at AMAZON too. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #4

IC2,
I use the NXT liquid on all my vehicles including the RV and am very pleased with the results. 2 of the cars are black and they turn out beautiful. I like to use a clay bar about every 2 years on everything then follow up with the NTX.
Good protection and lasts long. Bugs clean of easily. Of course, the more you use NTX the better the finish will look!
Bug Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I tried that product but found a better (in my opinion) product at Back to the Fifty's last year. Our MH is Fiberglass and a 82. Since I removed all oxidation last year I started using these products. I use 2 from them 1 is Called
The Perfect Wax -
-Drywash & Wax
-Clay-ed Finish
-Non-Dusting
-Clear Coat Safe
-Clean, Seals, Polishes and Protects in one step.
-Removes oxidation, Bug Marks, Road Tar
-Tree Sap, Bird Droppings and Swirl Marks

I use that between waxing.

Then I use there Wax.
-Euro-Class Cream Wax
Same results as above
Easy on - Easy off, I finish with a buffer (I do by hand then use my buffer)
I used to use Dawn too Wash, but have hear it takes off the wax
I now use Ice Wash
I still use Dawn on the Tires and Caps.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #6

Before I waxed I would read the manufacturers recommendations first. Most do not want you waxing until 6 months old
Old 07-14-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Before I waxed I would read the manufacturers recommendations first. Most do not want you waxing until 6 months old
After wandering several RV sales outlets, really doubt there is much of a problem with aging of paints as not a single 2014 or 2015 was in that 6 month age period according to the stickers on their left sides. Additionally, the current polyester, isocyanate and water based paints really have a problem with entrapped solvents past a few weeks.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #8

I was impressed by a demo of a product, Purple Slice. It's one of the dry wash products with polish and wax. Only $65 gal. I used about a quarter to do the whole rig. I bought a mop from Bed, Bath & Beyond that I had used on laminate floors in the house. It's rectangular with velcro to hold the micro fiber pads & ext pole. I bought extras so I could change off when dirty, used all three. No ladder required.

One point - if you have decals instead of paint, better talk to the mfg of the decal. My friend was told not to wax the decal on his new rig. His old rig had peeled edges.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:54 AM   #9
IC2

It sure sounds like the wash 'n' wax products may be a good way to go. I go to several car shows a year and there are several vendors with their 'wonder products' at every one. Maybe I should stop and watch a couple plus look into other folks recommendations above and, hopefully, below

Decals - I've heard that they should not be waxed too. I think what may be a problem are the vinyl wraps rather then standard RV decals - and those wraps are big, covering an entire MH/trailer. A smaller name or swoopy set of decals shouldn't be bothered - I've had them on cars and now our Titanium. The nose decal is not only waxed, it was Poli-Glo (7-8 coats worth!!) covered several years ago. This has completely stopped a little edge peel where the PO never waxed. The rest is still as perfect as an 8 year old 5er can be with good care. There are others like 3-4 year old Keystone products that are peeling, but my guess is from lack of care rather then waxing (besides that, how can you wax between decals without lapping onto them).

Just a little rant - we are looking for a new or at least newer 5er, 1-3 years old. What we are seeing are used units that appear to have never been waxed with the fiberglass gel coats that are chalking and roofs that are grunge gray. It amazes me that people can spend ~40 to over 100 thousand dollars and never even wash 'n' wax this expensive leisure time (most cases) 'toy'. Makes you wonder how the mechanicals are as well. And their vehicles and home.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My Mh is a 82 and has no decals except the wording Pace Arrow, and I wax right over them. I must be doing something right when I have other campers asking how I keep it so shinny
This is no quick wax gimmick it took me 2 days to do 1 side of my 30ft MH
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote