Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #15
Pez

Monaco Owners Club
We will be in Lubbock July 3rd for 2 or 3 days. From Lubbock down to Hill Country, Austin, and San Antonio area. Looking for any suggestions for most scenic route from Lubbock going south to the areas. Also any suggestions to see after arrival at destinations. I know all 3 areas have a lot to offer from my research. Your suggestions will be helpful. Thanks for any suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #16

Jayco Owners Club
It's a long way outa the way from Lubbock to the hill country, but to me, the Trans-Pecos area (far west Texas) is by far the most beautiful. Big Bend, The Davis Mountains, and the Guadalupe Mountains are uniquely beautiful. McKitrick Canyon is part of the Guadalupes and has been voted by wildlife photographers as the most beautiful place in Texas. The Guadalupe Mountain ridge contains Carlsbad Caverns at it's northern end... and that territory was Texas before it was New Mexico... so I count it as part of the Trans-Pecos... Big Bend is a trip all in itself. The South Rim hike is not for the faint of heart... but worth the effort. The drive from Big Bend on west to Precidio on the River Road is spectacular. It takes you through Terlingua, famous for the chili cook-off... and on through Lajitas, (where the mayor is a beer-drinking goat), and then out the road west to Precidio. If it's summer, be careful in Precidio, because the pavement often melts and sticks to your shoes. But at night, the temperatures are delightful and the stars are amazing.... The Davis Mountains and Fort Davis are beautiful, too. There's lots of history in the area and don't miss the Marfa Lights!

So... not the shortest route... but by far the most scenic...

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Love Texas, folks there seem to have a pride in their state that I have never seen anywhere else we've visited.

I remember when visiting Bandera it was warm and I was in shorts and T and a local cowboy was approaching us and he stopped and stared at me and said, "You do know that you are now in cowboy country" and then moved on down the street. Very funny and yes despite the heat it seemed as if all the locals were in jeans and typical cowboy dress.

Loved our stay there - great music as well.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Love Texas, folks there seem to have a pride in their state that I have never seen anywhere else we've visited.

I remember when visiting Bandera it was warm and I was in shorts and T and a local cowboy was approaching us and he stopped and stared at me and said, "You do know that you are now in cowboy country" and then moved on down the street. Very funny and yes despite the heat it seemed as if all the locals were in jeans and typical cowboy dress.

Loved our stay there - great music as well.
I was raised on a ranch on the Texas/Oklahoma border. We wore the boots, levi's and long sleeve shirts to avoid all the critters and vegetation (mesquite trees, cactus) that were waiting to reach out and and grab that bare skin. Not to mention the barbed wire fences.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
We will be in Lubbock July 3rd for 2 or 3 days. From Lubbock down to Hill Country, Austin, and San Antonio area. Looking for any suggestions for most scenic route from Lubbock going south to the areas. Also any suggestions to see after arrival at destinations. I know all 3 areas have a lot to offer from my research. Your suggestions will be helpful. Thanks for any suggestions.
If you are close go to Fredericksburg it is not far from Austin and San Antonio. Lots of Winery's and a great WWII war in the Pacific Museum. With Lots of antique shops and good restaurants.

Also visit Luchenbach (Waylon & Willie)it is a quaint old fashioned store and they have live country music out in the back. There is no admission fee.

Also there is a state park close that has 10's of thousand of bats that leave every evening from an old railway tunnel and it is free to view.

All three of these I mention are a short distance from one another.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
well, I'm glad you have all enjoyed texas. As for me, I lived there for 6 years and the happiest day if my life was the day I left.
Each to his own I always say.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #21

I've always loved Texas and the people there.
I like their 70 mph speed limits on 2 lane roads and if you pull up on their bumpers, the car pulls over and lets you pass them.
I like the way they talk. If you find a real Texan, many have a perfect Middle Tennessee southern accent--like Davy Crockett and Sam Houston (Tennesseans) had.
I love their roadside barbeque shacks, and how they serve meals on a piece of butcher paper. And their beer comes in tall neck bottles.
And the spirit of Texans is great. Those thousands and thousands of Californians moving there each year are finding a completely different society.
And I like not having state income taxes and reasonably priced housing. People making normal salaries can actually have a nice, big house by any standards.
And I especially like Chicken Fried Steak coming from there.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtjester View Post
well, I'm glad you have all enjoyed texas. As for me, I lived there for 6 years and the happiest day if my life was the day I left.
Each to his own I always say.

Just curious, but what did you dislike so much.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #23

I have been living in Deep East Texas for almost 3 years now and it is the best move my family and I have ever made. We have lived on the East Coast, the Midwest and traveled all over the country, but Texas has my heart.
talbott357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
I lived in the Texas panhandle for 4 years (Fritch) and really enjoyed my time there. The terrain and the weather were harsh but the people were the best! Paladuro Canyon was a favorite spot along with Lake Merideth. You sort of get used to the wind, rattlesnakes and tarantulas... after a while. Oh yeah... tumbleweeds and jackrabbits... My two oldest children have great memories from there and my third was born in Amarillo.
(My forth is an alien from Roswell, NM)
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
We recently had the opportunity to visit Texas (for the first time) and had a very pleasant and rewarding experience. Everywhere we ventured throughout the state we were made to feel welcome and appreciated as "winter Texans". Just one example: We were washing the toad at a local car wash in Bandara, and the owner happened to be on site when we pulled up to the wash rack. We began making conversation and when he found out that we were RVers and traveling through his state, he said the car wash was on him (and it took a while to get the Jeep clean). Needless to say we were impressed, but we found others, ie; campground hosts and RV service centers, etc, to be equally as friendly and hospitable. We will return soon!

Bronk
I have family in San Antonio so we have made several trips (mostly flying) there, over the years.

I've been all over this country and Texas has some of the friendliest folks I've ever met. It just jumps out at you with the first interaction with the locals. As soon as they realize that you're from out-of-state (not difficult with my yankee accent) , you get a "welcome to Texas... we hope you enjoy your stay", etc, etc).

We are so looking forward to becoming winter Texans in another year or two. Not sure if we could handle that summer heat, but that's the way we're going to start.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Just curious, but what did you dislike so much.
I don't mean for this to get into a texas "love it or leave it" discussion, so I'll leave it alone. My experience was decades ago and I'll assume things have changed for the better. My best to all my texas friends.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #27

Conversely, being a Texan having traveled to the New England area this fall, I was puzzled as to why everyone in that area had such a sour attitude (for the most part).
After two weeks of dirty looks and rude attitudes, it felt like a breath of fresh air when we walked into a Cracker Barrel in Tennessee and saw all the friendly smiles and cordial greetings.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
Conversely, being a Texan having traveled to the New England area this fall, I was puzzled as to why everyone in that area had such a sour attitude (for the most part).
After two weeks of dirty looks and rude attitudes, it felt like a breath of fresh air when we walked into a Cracker Barrel in Tennessee and saw all the friendly smiles and cordial greetings.
New Englanders (and many Midwesterners) are straightforward and frank, some mistake this for sourness. They'll tell you what they think, straight up, without the passive aggressive "bless your heart" nonsense that often disguises backbiting and hostility in southern culture.

I'll tell you what, I worked with people from all over the country and New Englanders are top hands--intelligent, enterprising and inured to tough conditions. And quietly self respecting without making a macho show of it.

Tags
texas