Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We Love Texas and Native Texans

We recently had the opportunity to visit Texas (for the first time) and had a very pleasant and rewarding experience. Everywhere we ventured throughout the state we were made to feel welcome and appreciated as "winter Texans". Just one example: We were washing the toad at a local car wash in Bandara, and the owner happened to be on site when we pulled up to the wash rack. We began making conversation and when he found out that we were RVers and traveling through his state, he said the car wash was on him (and it took a while to get the Jeep clean). Needless to say we were impressed, but we found others, ie; campground hosts and RV service centers, etc, to be equally as friendly and hospitable. We will return soon!

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Good to hear y'all had a pleasant experience here in the Lone Star state! It seems the number of out of state travelers/visitors increase exponentially each year.... that's ok with us, it's a big state with a lot of variety to offer
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #3

Glad you are enjoying TEXAS! I have lived here for 66 years and am a NATIVE TEXAN. I was SO HAPPY to discover Escapees and the Escapee mailing service, so that I could continue being a Texan.

My poor DW (Dear Wife) unfortunately has only lived here for 43 years and was born in GA. She keeps trying and trying to be a Native Texan, to the extent that she even bought a "Native Texan" bumper sticker for our Toad.

I am originally from CANYON, Texas, home of Palo Duro Canyon State Park.

See Palo Duro Canyon State Park

This is one of the most unique part of Texas, although people from all parts of Texas believe THEIR part is. (The poor, delusional souls)

Enjoy!
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #4

We too just spent a pleasant winter traveling through Texas. Took a big clockwise loop from the NE, then to Conroe, to Padre Island, to Big Bend, to Wichita Falls. Stayed mostly at state parks (19), driving less than 200 hundred miles on interstates. The park system, the roads, and the people, were all exceptionally hospitable. Would have preferred it a little less wet in the east half of the state, but otherwise an excellent way to spend five months on the road.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #5

Palo Duro Canyon is where in 1874 Ranald MacKenzie, arguably the most effective post Civil War Indian fighter, and his 4th Cavalry ran the last hostile Comanches to ground. MacKenzie destroyed their camps and winter supplies and slaughtered their huge horse herd and put them afoot; discouraged they gave up the fight.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
Palo Duro Canyon is where in 1874 Ranald MacKenzie, arguably the most effective post Civil War Indian fighter, and his 4th Cavalry ran the last hostile Comanches to ground. MacKenzie destroyed their camps and winter supplies and slaughtered their huge horse herd and put them afoot; discouraged they gave up the fight.
It doesn't sound like it was the Comanches that were the hostiles.
2021 RAM 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans, 4:10 differential
2013 DRV Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 replaced by 2021 DRV
psaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:55 AM   #7

Read the story. MacKenzie at LEAST didn't slaughter the Indians; only their horses.

MacKenzie was first in his class at West Point.

Custer was last in the same class.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandClaudia View Post

MacKenzie was first in his class at West Point.

Custer was last in the same class.
While in their mid 20s, both Custer and MacKenzie were division commanders during the Civil War. MacKenzie, along with Ord, Gibbon and Weitzel, was part of the shakeup that transformed the Army of the James, a rather sadsack outfit, into a first rate command-- fast moving and hard hitting.

Custer, if kept in rein, was an able and energetic officer and in Virginia under Phil Sheridan did excellent work. But MacKenzie was far more capable of independant command, obviously as things turned out. ;-)
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:58 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Brink, glad you enjoyed your stay in the "Lone Star" state! Y'all come back now and stay awhile.

We, my wife and I, had that same impression 14 years ago when we first arrived. We were both born and raised in Michigan. However our jobs have taken us to the North, South, East, and West of this great nation, and though we have met a lot of extremely nice people in each location, non can compare to the totality of Texas. In fact, we liked it so much we decided to make it home.

It is a great camping destination too! Texas has an awesome state park system where often times a 50 amp full-hookup site is only $26 a night. A few "must sees" in my book are:

1. Davis Mountain State Park. A beautiful mountainous region that will not disappoint, and while there, be sure to take in a "Star Party" at the McDonald Observatory;

2. Palo Duro Canyon State Park to see the "grand canyon" of Texas and the musical "Texas." You may even run into a Texas horny toad or two while hiking about.

3. Tyler State Park, Dangerfield State Park, or Bob Sandlin State Park in located in the east Piney Woods area. This is a great summer destination with lots of shade and great crappie fishing.

4. Martin Dies Jr. State Park located in the Texas Bayou. Here you can rent a canoe and leisurely paddle through the sloughs.

Mustang Island State Park. This park is close to Padre Island National Seashore where you can comb the beach for sea shells, and see Camp Ridley sea turtles being released.

Be sure to take the time to see a rodeo or two as well.

We are anxiously waiting for school to get out so we can take in more of what this great state has to offer.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #10

Glad you had a great time here in Texas and we were nice to you. Let me tell you I have had both good and bad. I am a transplant but I got here as fast as I could! (dang parents)
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was a kid in Arlington in the late 40s, a soldier in El Paso in 64, and a Winter Texan for the last 11 years. Great state to live or visit. My dad was the Navy recruiting officer in Dallas and a Deputy Sherriff in both Dallas and Tarrant County. After retiring they lived in Austin for a while. So not being a native, I do have real roots.
And Texans are Great Friendly People!

Don't Mess with Texas
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by psaint View Post
It doesn't sound like it was the Comanches that were the hostiles.
As a guy with a little Native American heritage, I'd have to agree...
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:37 AM   #13

I'm very glad so many people love TX, I've been hearing this for years. My oldest daughter moved to Mansfield about 6 years ago & loves it. Personally I haven't had the same positive experiences while visiting TX. But clearly I'm the minority.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
We recently had the opportunity to visit Texas (for the first time) and had a very pleasant and rewarding experience. Everywhere we ventured throughout the state we were made to feel welcome and appreciated as "winter Texans". Just one example: We were washing the toad at a local car wash in Bandara, and the owner happened to be on site when we pulled up to the wash rack. We began making conversation and when he found out that we were RVers and traveling through his state, he said the car wash was on him (and it took a while to get the Jeep clean). Needless to say we were impressed, but we found others, ie; campground hosts and RV service centers, etc, to be equally as friendly and hospitable. We will return soon!

Bronk
Us also! Our experience was the same. Also, lower costs than other snowbirding areas. Lots of interesting things to poke our noses into and we had gorgeous weather. They even throw big "Winter Texan Welcome Back Parties" at the beginning of each season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8924.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	93289   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8922.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	93290  

aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags