Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #1

We took the plunge today

A sad day in some respects, but we finally decided we can't afford this lifestyle any more. It's gobbling up more of our retirement savings than we're comfortable with.

We've put the MH on consignment (mod edit). They offer a remarkably good deal - a $595 sales fee no matter the value. They'll also fix the minor problems the rig might have and deduct the total from whatever the final selling price is. They keep in constant touch with the owner of the rig.

Friends of ours recently sold their '98 Bounder (mod edit) and were very satisfied. We'll see what happens. The principal we dealt with was very upbeat about the condition of our MH and thinks he can get maybe $8000 more than we expected.

We'll be sorry to see the old girl go, but our neighbors won't be! Our HOA covenants allow parking of RVs and boats on the driveway and we made good use of that.

Since we're giving up the lifestyle, we have crockery, cutlery, coffee maker. etc., that served two occupants. We have no use for it. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I guess eventually this day catches up with all of us......Wish you all the best.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #3

Hopefully you will readjust to the dark and gloomy NW winters. We are heading south in a few weeks as my DW is retiring November 14. We have rented out condo over here in Poulsbo and are looking forward to heading south toward the sun.

I would be interested in your sharing the specifics of the "affordability" factor which seems to have much to do with your decision. We will be heading out with modest monthly income and a nice reserve for emergencies, but while I have played around with the numbers, one never knows the true cost until out on the road. We have both a TT membership as well as a PA membership and hope to also take advantage of a bit of "free" camping. If you can share a little of your experience, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best of luck and Anacortes is a great little community!!
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #4

Bill:

We've lived in Washington since we emigrated from the UK in 1968, except for three very hot and sticky years in Tidewater Virginia in the early 70s. We're very comfortable with the climate, year round. It is a lot like our home area in the UK - just a few degrees warmer.

When we got our first RV, gas was about $1.60, commercial CGs were about $20 a night and State Parks around $15. Our last season using the MH, gas was up to $4.50 or more in the areas we were travelling though. Oregon SPs were $28 with hook-ups. A KOA we stayed at was $45. We're on SocSec and a modest pension. Having raised 4 children, our rate of saving was a lot less than most folks when they were growing up and we didn't get into home ownership until we were around 40 years old. I took early retirement from Boeing because I was having to travel to the Islamic world frequently. In the Boeing McDonnell Douglas merger, we lost the Boeing standard of Business Class for overseas travel. Flying Seattle-London-Jeddah in the back of the bus was more than I was prepared to put up with.

Our retirement nest egg wasn't very big to begin with and the stock market has taken more out of it than we have. As a result,we weren't able to do the sort of travels that were the reason for buying the RV in the first place.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
Hopefully you will readjust to the dark and gloomy NW winters. We are heading south in a few weeks as my DW is retiring November 14. We have rented out condo over here in Poulsbo and are looking forward to heading south toward the sun.

I would be interested in your sharing the specifics of the "affordability" factor which seems to have much to do with your decision. We will be heading out with modest monthly income and a nice reserve for emergencies, but while I have played around with the numbers, one never knows the true cost until out on the road. We have both a TT membership as well as a PA membership and hope to also take advantage of a bit of "free" camping. If you can share a little of your experience, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best of luck and Anacortes is a great little community!!
Check out the world of Work Camping.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Frank! We're really sorry to see you leave the RV lifestyle! Sure hope you can get a good price for the rig and that everything goes well for you! Drop by and say Hi when you have the time!

Good luck and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #7

I've put it in the classifieds on this forum this morning (8 Nov)
Old 11-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry to hear you are selling the rig. I know you have thought about it for awhile and it is not a snap decision. The cost of everything seems to keep going up but retirement income can't seem to keep up.
We wish you luck in getting a fair price for you MH.
Because you don't have an RV does not mean you can't share your experience's and knowledge with the rest of us.
Good luck.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
A sad day in some respects, but we finally decided we can't afford this lifestyle any more. It's gobbling up more of our retirement savings than we're comfortable with.

We've put the MH on consignment (mod edit). They offer a remarkably good deal - a $595 sales fee no matter the value. They'll also fix the minor problems the rig might have and deduct the total from whatever the final selling price is. They keep in constant touch with the owner of the rig.

Friends of ours recently sold their '98 Bounder (mod edit) and were very satisfied. We'll see what happens. The principal we dealt with was very upbeat about the condition of our MH and thinks he can get maybe $8000 more than we expected.

We'll be sorry to see the old girl go, but our neighbors won't be! Our HOA covenants allow parking of RVs and boats on the driveway and we made good use of that.

Since we're giving up the lifestyle, we have crockery, cutlery, coffee maker. etc., that served two occupants. We have no use for it. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.
Frank and Eileen.....I am so sorry to learn that you've had to make this decision, and I'm sure it's not one you took lightly. We faced a similar situation in 2009. After 16 years of fulltiming, I found myself dealing with a brain issue that we believed had sidelined us for good. With God's grace and the help of several topnotch neurologists at Hermann and Methodist Hospitals here in Houston, the problem has stabilized and I anticipate better health for years to come.

We recently made the decision to buy a used MH and go back on the road. We'll be moving into it on December 15 and plan to resume traveling in the spring. My hope for you is that, like ours, your situation will change for the better and you can return to RVing if that's where your heart is.

We, too, are concerned about the costs, which have increased dramatically since we hung up the keys, but decided we would be better off living more frugally and having the lifestyle we love, than being tied to an apartment that we don't want. Having said that, I must admit that I will miss the long, hot showers!

I wish both of you the very best.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
frankdamp
I sure hate reading this type of a post.
I wish you the best.
Like another poster wrote just because you don't have a MH you can still share all of your knowledge.
I am planning on just starting the fulltime experience. After a split up with the other 1/2.
Please keep in touch.
Best wishes,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sure the decision to sell your RV was not an easy one but sooner or later everyone has to come to the realization that it is time.

This year I just took the plunge and retired at the ripe old age of 56. How long we will be able to maintain a RV lifestyle who knows but for the time being we'll take time to smell the roses.

Like you I had job that required international travel both to Europe and South America. I was able to travel First Class although every once in a while I'd have to make a quickly planned trip that sometimes resulted in flying coach. 8-10 hours on a plane in cramped quarters is not pleasant. If I had kept up my work pace I wouldn't have lasted another year.

Good Luck on you future endeavors.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote