Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
That's a bummer Randy!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #16

In south miami they would wait till everyone went to work and school then take their little truck and back into the front double doors knocking them down ; jam and all. Help themselves and be gone in minutes. No point to locking the door there. On the road they just look for whats easy ; any unlocked door.
Unfortunately disintegrator machines arent available and I would probably get zapped by my own because I forgot it was armed.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #17

This is another example for the need of good insurance.

I'm fortunate to leave my fifth wheel in a specialized RV storage lot with a 24 hour a day security guard for $32.50 per month.

The lot parks our RV's about 12"-18" apart, and it makes opening any door difficult. They'd have to be awfully skinny to get through one of those doors.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
There is an audible alarm that the sound is so piercing you can't stay in it for more than a few minutes. I'm not sure what the name of it is, but I have that installed in both my houses. One is hooked up to a monitor where the Police are called and the other is just an audible alarm that is not monitored. You can get them both ways on a house, so I don't see why you can't do it on a MH. It would be relatively cheap to do as you would only have to do the door and any window someone could crawl thru.
This is prolly the best option, what is it and where can it be obtained?
PLAYER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #19

I got mine thru a guy I used to work with who started instaling alarms as a side job. He became quite the expert and soon had job requests from major companies world wide. I haven't seen him in a few years but I'm pretty sure you can buy the alarm horns and sensors at any electronic shop. We have accidentally set ours off a couple of times and after about 2 minutes you can't even think straight. Add to that you are the crook, a little tweeked anyway, and you think the cops are coming you will get out of there and probably not come back.

I haven't put anything on my MH yet as we keep it in our driveway, but after reading this I am going to look into it.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #20

Sorry to hear of this happening but if they want to get in an RV it won't matter what locks you have. With a double lock they may have broken a larger window to get in and destroyed the door getting out. Best thing for protection is good insurance.

Not to minimize your loss but when you said "robbed, literally" I thought you really were robbed. "Property taken by force or fear". It was "burglary".
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
All,

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I'll have to rethink my initial inclination to add a super-deadbolt. The biggest pain is the broken window, and short of leaving the rig unlocked I'm not sure how to prevent that in the future.

I like the idea of removing the TV's. We remove everything else of value so it makes sense. I'll look into mounts that allow easy removal as replacements.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was the TV (and any of the other stuff) ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT?

If so did they take your manuals portfolio.

Many times you will find the serial numbers recorded in the manual page provided for that, It makes a difference.

Also, You can use a vibrating engraving tool to mark stuff, Usually in places where it's not visible while using it.

Mark it like this

ST/D-123-456-789-012

Where ST is the 2 letter abbreavation for the state that issued your driver's license,, Example, I'd use MI, and the string after the slash is your driver's license number, that one is in MICHIGAN format, but is NOT a valid driver's license number.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We have an alarm in our S&B from this co. Skylink Products | Garage Door Openers and Accessories | Home Automation | Wireless Security / Alert System | Emergency Dialers | Swing Door Opener | the alarm that goes off is so loud its almost disorienting, I use motion detectors in my garage and house, its all wireless.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #24

I don't have any special locks other than what was with the coach when we bought it. What I do have is a small video camera that activates on motion. ( we have it for the dogs) and anyone that might enter that was not invited. These cameras are available on line, wal mart, Target, Best Buy, almost every where.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #25

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Old Fashioned

You guys may think I'm old fashioned, but I think we're way too lenient with criminals. I wish we could bring back the Guillotine for execution and as a deterrent to crime.

I say, death penalty for any infraction above jaywalking.

cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
I agree with the no lock approach. I've been victimized twice. First time broke out door window. Second time they were interrupted while trying to pry open the door, damaged door and frame. TVs were easy to replace, broken window and jimmied door not so easy.

You can't lock these things, any side window takes 30 seconds to pry open. The walls are thin, 5 minutes with a SawsAll and you can have a hole big enough to walk through and a $20,000 repair bill. Better to leave it unlocked and just replace stuff.
I agree, the only reason we lock our door, and compartments, is to satisfy the insurance company requirement. I think it's called reasonable precautions.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #27

It makes me sad and angry and scared. The damage will like cost more than what they took. So stupid.
My TT is in storage at a nice place that seems secure, but any meth-head with a hammer can still break in if they want. I take my TV out as well as the power cable and anything else of value, but they would still have to break in to see it is not there.
I don't know that there is a good solution.

When I read he got robbed, I thought it was like a home invasion while camping. Thankfully it was "only" a burglary. :(
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Doesnt seem like you could do much more. A fenced security lot with on site staff is near the top. Only thing would be to have a locked inside storage.

Not sure if you could get a security company to install security locks. I know nowadays they are able to install home security systems without land lines so that may be an option. That hooked to a loud klaxon may be a deterrent.

Makes me wonder though why we should pay to keep our stuff protected.
Come on now, we can not expect our police forces to take time out from the coffee shops and from pinching innocent people for doing 5 mph over the speed limit to prevent a bunch of hoodlums terrorizing us.
What ever happened to "To serve and protect"

Tags
rally