Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
We Were Robbed - Literally

We got a call from the storage facility where we park our MH about 10:30 this morning. They'd had a break-in and our coach had been vandalized or robbed. They aren't allowed to enter and couldn't tell us how bad it was.

We got there an hour later to find the window in the door smashed, door unlocked, both TV's gone, and all cabinets and drawers open and ransacked. The worst damage, after the window, was that they ripped the bedroom TV off the wall taking a large chunk of the wall with it. They also took some small, cheap hand tools and a couple of flashlights. They left behind the Dish receivers and good kitchen knives.

One other coach was entered, but the storage-lot staff responded quickly and prevented a lot of other folks from having similar experiences. The thieves cut through the chain-link fence to avoid the razor-wire on top. Thankfully the lot has motion sensors that alerted the on-site staff.

I happened to have the component-list provided by Thor in the coach and was able to give the police the model and serial numbers of the TVs. We were fast enough that it's possible they'll get picked up if they try to pawn the TVs. I'd like to be there when they do that. The Sansui's that come standard in the Axis are far from top of the line. I doubt they'll get 20 bucks for them on the street!

So, with the tale of woe behind us, a question: does anyone have experience with a keyed (both sides) deadbolt in their coach or TT? It would be for use only when we are away from the coach and would prevent the door being opened, even if the window were broken again.

Thanks,
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Community Administrator

So sorry for your loss. I hope they get caught and what's coming to them. I have a doubled keyed lock on my S&B house. Hope someone can advise you for the rv.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #3

Sorry for this...I hope they get caught and your insurance treats you well.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe this is a dumb thought or I'm just the dumb one but my experience has been that a lot of normal household items work in an RV. So I'd look for the lock you want at Lowes, etc. and then see if it fits your RV.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have an ordinary household deadbolt on our door.

I kinda think all these locks do is keep the honest folk out.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #6

Sorry to hear this. Sure hope the law finds the people responsible, and makes them feel violated. If you wanted a double sided deadbolt, try removing the inside lever of your current deadbolt. Wouldn't quite be a double sided one, but it couldn't be unlocked through a broken window very easily. Good luck.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
The problem with RV walls is that they are thin, therefore the locks are not strong. Most of the deadbolts are not very long and again strong (have a look at yours).....The locks give you a bit of a sense of security. The locks are designed to keep honest folks out and make it only a little bit harder for crooks. Any pry bar applied to most RV locks will result in easy access. Any unoccupied rig is a target. Where we park and store it can make a difference, but it can almost feel like playing the odds, especially when its stored at a storage facility which isn't checked or the property monitored. Might help to put temporary signs on the door which indicate that all valuables/TVs have been removed while in storage. I spoke to our RV dealer and ask how they kept ahead of toads getting into their RVs and stealing TV's. He told me that there are no TVs in the rigs on the lot and the rigs are left unlocked.......all the time. He said that from time to time someone does get into the rigs, but leave and seldom do damage. Goes against everything we learn growing up, but maybe remove the eye candy from the rig and leave the rig unlocked. Go look around the rig and steal nothing or take my toilet paper. Just an idea
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Bummer , Bad News, So sorry to hear of your misfortune. I have mine in the driveway and still am nervous.
Some moron stole 1 of my wheel covers. Nothing like yours but in my own driveway.
It's just -22 below wind chill here in Mpls so maybe they won't be out tonight...
Good luck with your insurance Company.
Happy Holidays,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Along with the others, sorry to hear about your rig.
If someone wants in, they'll get in as the story goes. Ours is in the back yard with 3 dogs. One being a Doberman .
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:46 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A double cylinder deadbolt is a bad idea. Smokey fire and you are looking for the keys to get out? No thanks. Besides, once they get in, all they have to do is kick the door to get out, dead bolt or not. Don't even think about it.

Personally, I flick the dead bolt when we retire at night, it gives more piece of mind. Kicking an RV door IN would be tough.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #11

I agree with the no lock approach. I've been victimized twice. First time broke out door window. Second time they were interrupted while trying to pry open the door, damaged door and frame. TVs were easy to replace, broken window and jimmied door not so easy.

You can't lock these things, any side window takes 30 seconds to pry open. The walls are thin, 5 minutes with a SawsAll and you can have a hole big enough to walk through and a $20,000 repair bill. Better to leave it unlocked and just replace stuff.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #12

Randy sorry to hear about your MH getting burglarized. Having spent over 30 years in Law Enforcement and some of those years on a crew following career criminals and putting them back where they belong, the others are right-Locks keep honest people honest. One thing I will tell you is crooks will go to the point of easiest entry unless they are looking for something specific. We have watched these guys go door to door trying doors/windows( both houses and cars) until they find an unlocked one, and try entering(but that's when our welcoming committee stepped in). So I personally wouldn't leave it unlocked, and you may find someone living out of it.

On my home I have all exterior deadbolt locks keyed both sides and the house alarmed. I think it is good for a house as it would take them additional time to get big things out and most likely wouldn't have the time to mess around. But in a MH the double keyed locks may make them cause even more damage, maybe kicking out the door or a window, and causing damage to the surrounding frame of the MH. Either way if they really want to get in, and they have the time they will. If anything I would add an audible alarm and that will scare them away even if it isn't monitored. Hopefully they got some video and can catch these idiots. Good Luck...Mike
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Doesnt seem like you could do much more. A fenced security lot with on site staff is near the top. Only thing would be to have a locked inside storage.

Not sure if you could get a security company to install security locks. I know nowadays they are able to install home security systems without land lines so that may be an option. That hooked to a loud klaxon may be a deterrent.

Makes me wonder though why we should pay to keep our stuff protected.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #14

There is an audible alarm that the sound is so piercing you can't stay in it for more than a few minutes. I'm not sure what the name of it is, but I have that installed in both my houses. One is hooked up to a monitor where the Police are called and the other is just an audible alarm that is not monitored. You can get them both ways on a house, so I don't see why you can't do it on a MH. It would be relatively cheap to do as you would only have to do the door and any window someone could crawl thru.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally