Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a friend in Cranbrook, BC, and if it ever works out to visit spur of the moment, I would probably be traveling with a firearm. I will check out pawn shops in Bonners Ferry or possibly Sand Point, ID. I plan to visit on purpose this Sept. and run up to Jasper/Banff at the same time. In that case, I will leave all firearms at home.

Bare in mind that this year is the National Park centennial and the parks will be extra busy!
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #16

KZ RV Club
You don't want to take an undeclared weapon into Canada.
I worked LE near the boarder and had occasion to cross to interview witnesses etc. I dropped all my weapons at the Bellingham PD. Once coming back they noticed the cage in my unmarked. That a police car? Yes. Pull over, they searched to insure there were no weapons.
Took 40ft Patrol boat with 2ft lettering to Vancouver Island to meet RCMP. Stepped off the boat in full uniform. Canadian customs walks over, take off the gun belt, no weapons. They secured all weapons in the cabin and sealed it, stating we will check before you leave.
I like the pawn shop idea now that I'm retired.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have wondered about the same thing. I thought about taking the RV to Alaska through Canada but wondered what to do about the firearm. My first thought was to rent a safety deposit box but doing some research you have to know the bank rules before hand as most prohibit explosives (ammo) some will accept a handgun if securely wrapped up before putting it in the box. As necessity is the mother of invention I found this site GunSitters.com - GunSitters unfortunately no franchises are in West as of yet, but it sounds like an up and coming business. Checking the internet this is a hot topic on many forums and the best suggestion was take your gun to a gunsmith for a cleaning and pick it up a week or two later when he/she has it done and you happen to pass by the area. You'll know its safe and it'll be clean. Shouldn't be too hard to find a gunsmith in Montana. Alaska trip might be back in the planning.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #18

I had a gun shipped from Ak to Bellingham Pawn in Bellingham Wa. They are a FFL and it would be a good choice. Room to turn around in the parking lot if your towing as well.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #19

You must return to St. Marys MT KOA
to retrieve your weapons, but the owner will, as a courtesy, store your weapons in a large safe in the upstairs of the office (his living quarters) while you are in Canada. We stay there every time we are enroute to Calgary Stampede.
Mr. D has an excellent solution!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #20

Since I've never pawned a gun before, I have a question. Do you have to fill out a 4473 ATF form/background check when you get it out of pawn? If so, they cannot transfer a handgun to someone who is not a state resident. All handguns must be transferred by an FFL holder in your home state. I suppose you could argue that the gun was always yours and ownership was not transferred. Does anybody know how this works?
Old 03-19-2017, 10:56 PM   #21

I had a gun shipped from the Bellingham Pawn shop to Tok, AK. There are rules to go by, but it is doable. I had the Tok, AK FFL holder ship it to Gt Falls as a UPS shipment and picked it up there. As LONG AS NO ONE OPENS THE PACKAGE but the addressee, there is no transfer situation. Shipping guns is not a big deal, but some stores will not like the idea and not handle an incoming/outgoing gun.
I did not like the idea of traveling across CA without a weapon, but soon forgot to worry. Picking it up in Tok was simple.
The downside to all this is the cost--it was around $150 to do it all.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:24 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
I forgot about the 4473. That might be a problem for an out of state resident. I'll have to check on that. Nothing leaves an FFL dealer without one.
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:53 AM   #23

I did not have to fill out any forms as it was not a transfer.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Sell them to me at half the price. I'll store them!!
Old 03-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
If only one or two LONG guns fill out the paper work, FOR BOTH SIDES OF THE BOARDER, have the inspection and you are good for 60 days. There will be a charge, for me was $25 per weapon. If a handgun I would store it or ship legally to myself. If you are going and coming through the same point with many weapons cheapest would begins a storage unit in doors and climate controlled near by and store there, lockable and no oneknows what's in there.

LEN
Old 03-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #26

Another option would be to rent a self storage space in one of the many storage facilities in or near the closest city to the border crossing you plan on using to enter Canada.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Don't know where you are crossing but there are a number of gun shops in the Bellingham area. Just take your gun for a "cleaning", and tell them when you will be needing it back

Tags
ada, canada