Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #1

Weapons; Where to store them prior to entering Canada??

Hello all, this question may have been ask before but could not find where on the forum.
My wife and I are planning a long trip from Tampa heading west then north to Washington. we would like to go into Whistler and Banff/Jasper area.
What do RVer's do with there weapons? Place them in storage? Need help figuring where to safely place them for later pickup.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Norm
Norm-n-Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Find a gun store on the US side of the border they should be able to store them for you. However, WA has some almost draconian laws about guns and you may run into them. If I leave a handgun at a gun store for repairs they may have to run a background check when I leave it, then do another one when I pick it up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm-n-Mary View Post
Hello all, this question may have been ask before but could not find where on the forum.
My wife and I are planning a long trip from Tampa heading west then north to Washington. we would like to go into Whistler and Banff/Jasper area.
What do RVer's do with there weapons? Place them in storage? Need help figuring where to safely place them for later pickup.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Norm
I'd consider renting a bank safe deposit box.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
The link may prove helpful. Note the section on MH's vs TT. If carrying, As others have stated not following the law exactly can have dire consequences. There are many CCW sites that provide current state CC laws.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I'd consider renting a bank safe deposit box.
Problem there is transporting the handgun to the bank. You're carrying a concealed weapon.
BTW, here in WA it's perfectly legal to concealed carry in a bank IF you have a valid license in WA.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #6

It's been years since we have went into Canada, but they used to have gun lockers at the border checkpoints. You tell them you have a weapon, they put it in a gun safe, and give you one of the two keys required to open it, much like a safety deposit box. Then when you leave Canada you retrieve your weapon. The only drawback was you have to enter and exit thru the same border crossing. Not sure if they do that anymore, so I would call and check first.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Problem there is transporting the handgun to the bank. You're carrying a concealed weapon.
BTW, here in WA it's perfectly legal to concealed carry in a bank IF you have a valid license in WA.
I would think that would be pretty easy to get around by breaking the weapon down as if for cleaning while in the coach - and then carry / deposit the pieces in two trip such that you're never carrying a complete gun - but rather pieces of an incomplete weapon.

On the issue of "a bank" - it's not one of the "excluded zones" associated with legal, licensed, conceal carry in Michigan either - so assuming one is licensed to carry, carrying into a bank is legal here as well.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:23 PM   #8

It's been about five years now, but we dropped our guns off at the Police
station closest to the boarder in Maine.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You also might consider pawning at a Pawn Shop. Low charge and they are kept safe.

burfurd
Old 03-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
under the bed lol?

silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I would think that would be pretty easy to get around by breaking the weapon down as if for cleaning while in the coach - and then carry / deposit the pieces in two trip such that you're never carrying a complete gun - but rather pieces of an incomplete weapon.

On the issue of "a bank" - it's not one of the "excluded zones" associated with legal, licensed, conceal carry in Michigan either - so assuming one is licensed to carry, carrying into a bank is legal here as well.
Typically the portion containing the serial number is treated the same as firearm whether it is complete or not.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #12

I have no need to store my gun prior to entering Canada. I take my short-barrel (but legal) tactical shotgun into Canada. No big deal, just fill out the paperwork (get online) before you enter and notify the agent at the border crossing. Usually, they will want to inspect it. Count on about 15 - 30 min for the "visit." DW stays in the coach with dog in a parking space off to the side. I take this as an opportunity to stretch my legs and talk with some of the nicest people you will ever meet.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #13

Remember, if you carry a handgun into Canada and it is found, you get a one year term in prison. You can surrender it at border if you forgot it was in your RV.
2covesover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #14

Quote:

The "receiver" of any firearm constitutes "The Firearm".

For example, the lower receiver of an AR-15, completely stripped of all other parts, is "The Firearm". For an FN-FAL, the upper receiver is the firearm.

Breaking the firearm into its component parts will not avoid the consequences of the law as long as the identified receiver is part of those parts. And without the receiver, it is no longer functional.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada