RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 06:14 AM   #1

Weather Radio

I was thinking that this might be a good idea. We spend most of the summer away from home and in some areas prone to dangerous weather.
There is more to these radios than one might think. Some have S.A.M.E. technology that allows you to program the area you are in and prevents nuisance alerts.
A nice feature as long as you program it every time you move.

A unit that will operate on battery power is certainly a good idea but since it needs to be on all the time, must be able to be plugged into a 120v outlet.

Other feature maybe I haven't thought of.
Comments?

Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 07:13 AM   #2

Mine has a solar panel and a hand crank, flash light and can be charged from a cell phone.....Radio on AM/FM is really clear, as is the weather band....Running Snail is all that's on it...

Old 12-02-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
Commercial Member

any radio is better than none, but at least get one that uses either 110 volts or batteries.if you spend even one night in oklahoma, texas, or kansas, you definitely need one. they can be a life saver.
i know that, personally. it has saved us more than once. one thing i find that bothers me is that a majority of the campgrounds either have no storm shelters, or do not allow animals inside.
a lot of us travel with at least one animal. they are part of our family. i also know that for a fact., as i'm number 4 on the totem pole. one cat dies, so i moved up a slot.
my wife will not leave her kids, under any circumstance.
paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Mine has a solar panel and a hand crank, flash light and can be charged from a cell phone.....Radio on AM/FM is really clear, as is the weather band....Running Snail is all that's on it...
That's the one I have. Kiss! Nothing to think about, its there.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:11 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
We have the same one and it works great. It is always tuned into your local area not matter where you are.

We also have a sever weather alert on our cell phones that also keeps us updated as well as current radar maps for what ever area we are in.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Midland unit that has a wall power adapter and battery powered. You set it up for the county and state you are in and the local NOAA station.It goes off with weather and Amber alerts.

Ken
Old 12-02-2019, 10:09 PM   #7

We purchased a Sangean CL-100 weather radio after a scary experience with a tornado in Illinois a few years ago.
Since that time, the Sangean has awaken and alerted us twice with warnings of pending tornados, giving us an opportunity to pack up and get out of the immediate area.
The Sangean allows you to key in specific geographic areas and weather warnings.
My only issue is that it does not have long battery life on 4-C batteries, but also works on 120-volt.
This little gem is a permanent fixture in our RV.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #8

I use a cb radio a lot. They make several that have weather bands built in. Currently I'm using a uniden 980ssb. It will scan the channels as you drive down the road. It has the severe alert feature as well. Runs on trailer battery. One in truck as well. They are inexpensive great ways to communicate when out of cell service. And great weather alert radio
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
We have the same one and it works great. It is always tuned into your local area not matter where you are.

We also have a sever weather alert on our cell phones that also keeps us updated as well as current radar maps for what ever area we are in.

I forgot about the weather alert on my cell phone. Is the cell phone alert the same as a weather radio alert. Is there some advantage to buying a weather alert radio over the cell phone alert?
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:00 AM   #10

My wife and I both have weather alerts on our cell phones.

There are multiple available, including one from the National Weather Service: https://www.weather.gov/wrn/mobile-phone

Most will "follow you" to know your current location and send alerts based on where you actually are at the time. This way you not only have it in your RV - but if you get out and about, it goes with you on your phone.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJShiflet View Post
My wife and I both have weather alerts on our cell phones.

There are multiple available, including one from the National Weather Service: https://www.weather.gov/wrn/mobile-phone

Most will "follow you" to know your current location and send alerts based on where you actually are at the time. This way you not only have it in your RV - but if you get out and about, it goes with you on your phone.
Does it work when you're out of tower range? Or if service is down in a storm?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #12

Consider a radio with an antenna input socket.

If the built-in antenna is insufficient or you're in a metal-sided unit an exterior antenna might solve the problem.

First of all, using a splitter and any plug-adaptor wires needed, you can connect it to the am-fm antenna on top of your rig. The frequency (162Mhz to 108 Mhz) is close enough that it will work well.

If you can lead an antenna coax outside, you could mount a dedicated antenna on top of the ladder, on top of a flagpole etc.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:22 PM   #13

We have a set of Family Radio Service units that we use when parking. They also get weather alerts and we use them when the weather looks like it might get interesting. They work on their internal battery or when pugged into the charger.
miller806 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #14

Our dash radio also has a weather band built in. Real shocker when it comes on by itself with an alert!

A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio