Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2016, 07:45 PM   #1

Weather shield

New to forum, I have a 2016 Coachman chaparral 29MKS it has "weather shield +" .
Does anyone know what the hi & low temp it's good to?
Frost31720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Weather Shield + is just Coachman's notice that they build their recreation vehicles for four season use. As I said in your other thread on this topic, Coachman Their lack of specifics I think is because of all the variables and issues if freeze damage happened and you held Jayco liable. Variables like length of time temperatures remain very low, wind speed, etc. can greatly influence your RV's ability to handle the cold. In the 2015 brochure, they do say, "In the summer of 2014, the insulation in the Chaparral was put to the test at the state-of-the-art Dometic extreme temperature chamber. At 0°, no section of the interior got colder than 63° while in the hot test (110°) the majority of the unit was around 75°." (pg 13) No other details as to length of time or other variables. The sun's radiation and wind speed can greatly effect heat loss or gain, I'd assume in a big insulated chamber you can park a fifth wheel doesn't have those variables. In the heat of summer, if you park a Class A facing south in the summer, your heat gain will be much greater than if facing south in the shade of trees. Using insulated window coverings can reduce heat loss in winter and heat gain in summer. Parking in a shielding grove of trees will help reduce heat loss on a windy winter night as opposed to parking on a wind exposed ridge.

I've not tried to use my RV in the depths of winter, however we've camped in Yellowstone in October when temps got down to near zero. I put a wireless remote thermometer in my heated wet bay to monitor temperatures, and can add incandescent trouble lights if needed. Opening cabinets and closets where water lines run to help add heat can also help.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. It is inline with what I have heard from another. It's too bad they don't list more data. Been stuck here in Oregon since October , normally in the desert by mid-October , hope to leave here next week or 2. Stay safe
Frost31720 is offline   Reply With Quote