Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #1
Weber Q Grills

Considering Weber Q grill and asking for some input on what size is best. Will be cooking for 2-4 people most times. How much work involved in clean up? What are must have Weber optional items? Is the electronic ignition worth extra cost?

2016 Dutch Star 4369
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #2

I have an older model of the Q2200 and it is the right size for us. We chose the larger size because you never know when you may have guests at the site. Plus you don't have everything crammed together on the grill. We bought the adapter for it and use a 20# propane tank. It's very easy to clean too.

Good luck!

Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #3

I line mine with heavy duty aluminum foil. When it was brand new I made a pattern so I can cut the foil in a jiffy. I throw the foil away after a trip and before storing.

My regulator has oddly cut threads and won't take a standard Coleman one pound bottle. I have been using the thin bottles used in for a soldering torch. Recently I have a acquired the hose used to connect to larger tanks and the adapter to use for small bottles. Now I can use whatever is handy.

I am surprised how well the unit grills. My first attempt with another brand was a dismal failure. I finally gave up my purist ways and quit lugging real Mesquite charcoal around.

We bought the 1200 model with the flip out shelves.

2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
I do not remember the size number, but the smallest with the flip-out side shelves travels well for us. I can cook two racks of ribs or 6 to 8 hamburgers to serve 4. The heat is as good as it's big brother that we have on our patio at home. We use a long hose and a 6 pound LP gas tank. I would recommend the Q grills over all the others I have tried.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:23 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Is the electronic ignition worth extra cost?
We have the smallest - least expensive unit and it came with electronic ignition...
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:41 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have I believe the 1200 model...

It has an electric start - works great.

Cooking for 2-4 the size should be ok.

Easy clean up - has a foil pan to catch grease, which are easily found in stores for replacement.

It fits in our basement well. It fits well on top of a picnic table but I also bought the folding table for the Weber Q. Also folds and compact for storage in our coach basement.

I had a folding charcoal grill prior - it fell apart after a few uses..........

It is well made and can purchase a griddle for it........many different models and colors to choose from.

I like it.

Angie & Glenn, and the boss: Haddington the Airedale
2017 Newmar Canyon Star 40', FMCA, NKK - Home based in the Heartland of America: Brownsburg, In 🌽🌽 🏁 Retired Army Sergeant Major
My home town: Brooklyn, New York
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:43 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We also use the Q100. We bought a 5# lp. tank and a 5-6 ft. hose which we keep in a plastic milk crate. Set out the grill, grab the milk crate and connect hose. Good to go!
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:58 AM   #8
I have used a Weber Q-120 for 5 years now, as a full timer. The built-in temperature gauge, electronic ignition and the taller cover than the Q-100 are pluses you need. Flip-out side tables are usable. Clean-up by scraping the inside with a small putty knife every 60 days or so. There are disposable aluminum foil pans that fit in the heavy re-movable drip pan. Just add a small rock to keep the wind from blowing the lightweight disposable pan out. Bought a adapter hose to use re-fill-able propane tank. One time use canisters are good for occasional weekend use.

The Q-120 has been discontinued by manufacturer, but can still be found. Hurry before all gone.
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
We have the Q-100 (and the flip out shelves that I bought separate). The little wire thingy that comes with the grill to hold those dinky propane bottles is about as useful as breasts on a borthog I have the cart and a 5# propane tank. The tank sits on the bottom shelf of the cart. The one thing that you have to realize is that you need to preheat the cast iron grill before using it. The burner does not have a lot of BTU's but the cast iron grill heated is the way it cooks.

I take my Q apart in the spring and wire brush the burner and pressure wash the inside of the case. It is going on 6 years old now it works great.
2005 Suncruiser
Banks Powerpack
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:51 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the bigger 2200 and like another person said, I wouldnt go any smaller due to the fact that you never know when you have a couple guests or especially fulltiming when you might do a large turkey breast for thanksgiving or a couple slabs of ribs. I think it would be hard to fit ribs on the smaller one but if you are just doing burgers and dogs I think the smaller one would be fine. Either way, they are easy to self clean by just putting a layer of foil on the grate, shiny side down and turning it up to high for a half hour or so. Everything turns to white ash and easily brushes away. I think they all come with the igniter. I like having the temp gauge on ours. The folding, rolling cart by weber works great and fits in compartment well. I store the cart in the original box and everything, grill and cart look like new after 4 years of use. I have the 6 foot hose and an extend-a-stay T so I can hook the grill directly to the main tank of the motorhome. Great product!
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:05 AM   #11
We've had a q120 for 5 years, still in great shape. We also use the weber rolling cart. I removed the regulator to use it on the trailer low pressure port and increased the Btu slightly with a numbered drill bit set. To clean the grill I set it to high, place a sheet of aluminum foil on the grill an close the lid for 5 minutes.
I can comfortably cook for 4.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #12
Thanks to everyone for your input. Due to favorable comments I will purchase one, I just need to decide size.
2016 Dutch Star 4369
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Thanks to everyone for your input. Due to favorable comments I will purchase one, I just need to decide size.
I am also looking at the Weber Q series. I currently have a Cuisenart SS portable grill that works well but is starting to rust through the paint in some areas. Also it was knocked over at some point and is a bit tweaked. I plan one replacing it with the Q2200 and purchasing the folding stand.
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat
2011 Jeep Rubicon
2012 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4WD
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We purchased The Weber Q grill last summer. Bought the small disposable propane canisters to use since we were new to this.

The grill is the smaller one, has the temp gauge on it, the fold out sides, and we bought the wheeled cart for it. We plan to buy a tank system this summer and not use the disposable canisters just for our convenience. We intend to fulltime in 2 years.

We love this little grill! Practiced with it at home as well. My husband decided to do a rack of ribs on it and it did fine. Cooks faster than your larger grills because the heat stays close to the meat but have not burnt anything. Has several colors.

Have cooked steaks, chicken breasts, salmon burgers and hamburgers, and sausage and chili's. Easy to clean, we take grills out and wash in a bucket of hot soapy water. Folds up easy and goes back in the basement bay and no issues.

Glad we bought it. Well worth the money and it was on sale. Lynne

Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote