Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2005, 07:27 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
If things weren't bad enough before the storm; wait till the refiners get done with us.

Just when we had asperations of a new coach, and of course one with more horses and more livable space; Katrina comes along and makes a short wind of that.

Reports are already coming in from across the country from state & county police departments, that highway traffic is considerably lower then years past. That's good for having less accidents and deaths. So what are we going to do with our big boy toys. I'd hate to be in Motorhome Manufacturing or Sales after this past weeks events.

Radarr

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2005, 07:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If things weren't bad enough before the storm; wait till the refiners get done with us.

Just when we had asperations of a new coach, and of course one with more horses and more livable space; Katrina comes along and makes a short wind of that.

Reports are already coming in from across the country from state & county police departments, that highway traffic is considerably lower then years past. That's good for having less accidents and deaths. So what are we going to do with our big boy toys. I'd hate to be in Motorhome Manufacturing or Sales after this past weeks events.

Radarr

Old 09-06-2005, 06:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Right now it's a boom time for RV and mobile home manufacturers and for dealers in the regions hit by Katrina. An RV is the quickest and perhaps even least expensive way to get a place to live for several months or years that it will take to rebuild, so sales are great for the moment. But after that bubble bursts, the industry will still likely face high fuel costs that will deter new owners and potential upgrades as well.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:51 AM   #4

Fuel will moderate. The fuel futures have been out of control, even before Katrina
Old 09-07-2005, 04:20 PM   #5

i have read that class A sales are down 27%, that Fleetwood and others are laying off big numbers of folks, that Monaco had its worst quarter numbers in years, YET..

Dealers on the internet are responding to my price quote requests on diesel pushers with a price barely 10% back of MSRP.

These guys do not get it. I hope they starve.What arrogance!!!
Old 09-08-2005, 04:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Unc,

Don't let it get to you I think these guys are getting burnt out from all the request for quotes that they receive and never hear anything back. Try calling the dealerships on their 800 numbers and talking to the owner or general manager. Sometimes I don't think the left hand knows what the right hand is doing. If I were an owner, I'd be ****** to let a sale get by me at this time. Try it and see what response you get. Then let us know what happened.

Trailer sales have gone sky high because of Katrina. The down side to that is, there's going to be a lot of TRASHED UNITS for sale or should I say scrap, in a year or two, which is really going to hurt that market then.

Radarr
Old 09-08-2005, 06:00 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd hate to be in Motorhome Manufacturing or Sales after this past weeks events. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A local RV dealer (who had an exhibit at the campground we are at) told me yesterday that FEMA has bought nearly all the Travel Trailers/Fifth Wheesl (new and used) inventory of several Central Florida RV dealers and was looking for 40,000 more units locally.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Dealers on the internet are responding to my price quote requests on diesel pushers with a price barely 10% back of MSRP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering that the profit is 35%, (example, $100K MSRP rig costs the dealer $65K) it doesn't sound like some dealers are very interested in doing business. I'm surprised that they haven't received marching instructions to go after fast nickels instead of slow dimes. Fast nickle Dealers will often work on a 3 - 5% profit. In that case a $100K MSRP rig would cost the RV buyer $68 to $70K.

Dave
[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
RVrs R US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:05 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Trailer sales have gone sky high because of Katrina. The down side to that is, there's going to be a lot of TRASHED UNITS for sale or should I say scrap, in a year or two, which is really going to hurt that market then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been thinking of that too. Gonna be a ton of used units on the market later, many of them with almost no mileage but who knows what condition? I think the least expensive models [ which are no doubt in highest demand] will be the worst because their interior materials/construction were never intended for extended use. A family living full time in them will beat them up far worse than a family on the occasional camping weekend.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:59 AM   #9

Fuel prices will come down. Maybe not as much as we'd like, but back below $2. How do I know? Warren Buffet in July bought Forest River. I doubt he'd have done that if he didn't figure fuel prices would come to a point where people can afford to drove or tow their RVs.

I was at an RV dealership in Iowa last week and a FEMA contractor ordered 20 new rental trailers. FEMA thought they would need them 10 - 12 months. The rental rate would pay for them in 6 months. Your tax dollars at work. Folks are still living in trailers in FL over a year after Ivan.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:11 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rainbow:
Fuel prices will come down. Maybe not as much as we'd like, but back below $2. How do I know? Warren Buffet in July bought Forest River. I doubt he'd have done that if he didn't figure fuel prices would come to a point where people can afford to drove or tow their RVs.

I was at an RV dealership in Iowa last week and a FEMA contractor ordered 20 new rental trailers. FEMA thought they would need them 10 - 12 months. The rental rate would pay for them in 6 months. Your tax dollars at work. Folks are still living in trailers in FL over a year after Ivan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rainbow-
how long do you think it takes to build a 2000 sf house? 90 days, 120 days? how long does it take to build 100k of them? now add to that the tens of 1000's of damaged homes. now if you can do it in a year, how come u are bit.hing and not down there making a fortune as a gc building/repairing all the 100k plus homes in under a year? huh? huh?
I just love arm chair quarterbacks!

Class of 2005
Richard n Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:25 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave:
[QUOTE]A local RV dealer (who had an exhibit at the campground we are at) told me yesterday that FEMA has bought nearly all the Travel Trailers/Fifth Wheesl (new and used) inventory of several Central Florida RV dealers and was looking for 40,000 more units locally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A dealer on the west side of Michigan has landed a contract with FEMA to deliver 700 two bedroom travel trailers somewhere in the affected region ASAP. The units are supposedly going to be made by Forest River at a rate of about 120 per week, hauled up to the dealership, prepped and stocked with non-perishable supplies and then hauled south. The newspaper article said the rigs retailed for a little over $20k and the dealer was selling them to FEMA for just over $15k. The dealer (Lakeshore RV) is basically shutting down its retail business until it fills this order. According to the article in the Detroit paper, the biggest problem they were having was lining up enough drivers with trucks to haul the trailers.

2005 Chevrolet 2500 HD CC 8.1L/Allison
Alan554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:32 PM   #12

At the time of this post, FEMA has purchased 750,000 units direct from the manufactures.