Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #1

Well, that was no help!

Mr. M and I are trying to decide if we want to go with a fifth wheel or an A class for full timing when we retire in a few short years. Today, we went to a few dealerships to check out the various lines from the various manufacturers. We found lovely coaches and lovely fivers, and not-so-nice coaches and not so nice fivers. It's a good thing we have a couple of years to decide! The Montanas are so nice, but so are the Allegros.....

Mrs. M

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
My wife LOVES the Montanas and I would have one today.... But she really needs the bed and bathroom of the Class A... Something to think about if you travel more than sit.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.M
Mr. M and I are trying to decide if we want to go with a fifth wheel or an A class for full timing The Montanas are so nice, but so are the Allegros.....

Mrs. M
Mrs M
We did not want to pull anything anymore so we got our class a back in June and have not regretted it one bit....we just rent a vehicle when we go some where if we need one....We too really liked the allegros but at the show we found a holiday rambler vacationeer... My wife really liked the way the interior was laid out and I liked the outside color and design...Good luck trying to decide I know it is a though decision....
Old 10-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #4

Our decision took two years, but we had the time.
(Well, that didn't help either! LOL)

Enjoy the lookie-looing!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.M View Post
Mr. M and I are trying to decide if we want to go with a fifth wheel or an A class for full timing when we retire in a few short years. Today, we went to a few dealerships to check out the various lines from the various manufacturers. We found lovely coaches and lovely fivers, and not-so-nice coaches and not so nice fivers. It's a good thing we have a couple of years to decide! The Montanas are so nice, but so are the Allegros.....

Mrs. M
Be careful if purchasing a Montana for full-time use. Keystone specifically excludes warranty coverage if the unit is used for residential (full-timing) purposes.

This isn't a problem if buying used since the warranty is likely to have expired anyway, but Keystone's exclusion of units used for full-timing implies they don't have a lot of confidence in their construction.

As a happy Tiffin owner, IMO you can't go wrong with an Allegro or other Tiffin product. Tiffin is a family-owned business that is rated #1 in customer service.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Be careful if purchasing a Montana for full-time use. Keystone specifically excludes warranty coverage if the unit is used for residential (full-timing) purposes.

As a happy Tiffin owner, IMO you can't go wrong with an Allegro or other Tiffin product. Tiffin is a family-owned business that is rated #1 in customer service.
Where can you find Tiffin's warranty info that says it is good for Full Time use.
I couldn't find it on their web site anywhere.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are talking full time, you need to be looking at full-time rated units.

In the 5er lines, consider, DRV, Lifestyle, Excel and such. Some of the manufacturers that have gone under and have some good values on the used market are Carriage (Carrilite and Cameo), Teton, King of the Road, Nuwa, HitchHiker and such.

Montana is not considered a full-time unit and excludes full-time use in their warranty.

Have fun shopping.

Ken
Old 10-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Where can you find Tiffin's warranty info that says it is good for Full Time use.
I couldn't find the warranty online either, but I saw a reference in one of the owners manuals online that says, "The Tiffin Motorhomes limited warranty was provided to you by your authorized Tiffin Motorhomes dealer during the pre-delivery inspection." It also says in that manual you can e-mail them for a copy of the warranty. The address they give is info@tiffinmotorhomes.com. Specify the model you are interested in.

I looked up our warranty, and there is no exclusion for full-time living. They exclude rentals and other commercial use, accidents and abuse; but there is no mention whatsoever of an exclusion for full-time living. In fact, they knew full well we were full-timers one time we had warranty work done at the factory, and there was absolutely no question about whether or not they would do the repairs.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Don't know about warranty language or even other Tiffin models except the 2013 Allegro Bus, but here's what Tiffin's online brochure says about that particular Tiffin:

"Just as there’s no place like home, there’s no motor home quite like the luxurious 2013 Allegro Bus, the model favored by Tiffin customers who live full time on the road. "

Quote is from page two at the following link: http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/pdfs...usBrochure.pdf
Old 10-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you full time in a 5th wheel, What are you going to run around in? If you use the truck, you are using a heavy duty (gas guzzling) vehicle. We pull a Honda civic and get great gas millage when out and about. When we go on our two months trips out west, my wife will lay on the couch and take a quick nap while underway. It is also nice to be able to use the bathroom while underway. Not having to get outside when it is pouring rain is also a plus.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A with the floor plan that works for you. All MFGs have good and bad days you can get fixed but you have to live in the floor plan. IMO driving an A and the comfort of having everything with you as you drive can't be beat. I also don't have any need for a big pick up. We rent when we feel the need.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #12

Mrs M,

Do a search under Class A and 5ths on this forum. I asked the same question a few months back. Received great responses.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Mrs M,

The first step is to decide between the two types of rv's. You can decide on manufacturer later.

In our case we started with a fifth wheel. While we loved it, we found we were in a travel/exploring mode that had us setting up/breaking down camp often. While this is not actually difficult it is more labor and time consuming with the 5er than with our subsequent motorhome. So we changed to a motorhome 9 years ago and were glad we did. This has worked well for us.

In the future we may go to one or two locations for months at a time. Then we may switch back to a 5er. There would be no need for us to have all that expensive drive train of the motorhome to be sitting idle nearly year around.

So my point is you need to determine how much travel and how often you will be moving. Both can be used successfully but you may find that the mh is a little easier if you move often.

After that you can work on floorplans and manufacturer.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
We have a 5er (Cougar 327 RES) and unless I fall into a lot of money or sell the sticks and bricks there is no way I can afford to buy a Class A. I find that with the 5er we get more bang for our buck in terms of space, although the class A's are finished better. In the 5er I can also see the steps leading down to the kitchen and living room being problematic in the near future as age kicks my knees out from under me. I also like having to deal with only one power unit. Although the toad gets better mileage it still requirea gas and maintanence plus the expense of just buying it to tow behind the Class A. So its pretty much a choice about money and what you like best.