Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Went for a ride on the zipper

DW and I stayed overnight near Blythe CA on our way to Golden Village Palms RV park in Hemet a couple weeks ago. The park we stayed at on the river was a bit congested so I suggested DW meet me at Starbucks to get some coffee and we could hook up the toad there. OK, great idea, only one problem, my trusty co-pilot was not with me on my way to town. Of course I missed my turn, so I turned into an abandoned gas station on the corner and cut across to get back on the right road. I followed what appeared to be a driveway, but I discovered a bit too late that it lead me right off the curb By then I was already committed so I slowly drove off the curb onto the road. All seemed ok except DW kept shaking her head at me while she followed me to the coffee shop I got out and did a quick walk around and tires/wheels seemed ok. After all I was only creeping off the curb at a very slow rate of speed so didn't think it caused any damage
We hooked up the toad and hopped onto I-10 West. About 15 minutes later heard a bang noise from right rear. DW got up and looked around, found a jar of peanut butter had fallen from the cupboard. Ah, that must have been it. I kept driving and soon asked DW if she felt a vibration. Yes, she agreed and I said it must be these damn CA roads. Went about another hundred miles and stopped at Indio to get a soda. Got back to the RV and saw the right rear outside tire was shredded! I was in disbelief because I knew it must have blown a hundred miles ago, but there was no damage to the RV, except a clearance light was taken out.
I had just weighed the RV a couple weeks ago and knew I was very close to the max GAWR for the rear axle. That means I drove a hundred miles on one inside right rear tire at twice its rated load capacity! Yikes, I'm still counting my lucky stars
Just wanted to share this story with others in case anyone else is as big a knucklehead as me. If you hear a loud bang shortly after driving off a curb it would be wise to pull over and check your tires

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 PM   #2

Wow, How lucky for you to have only blown 1 tire ...or is there more to this tale?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ah, er ah, yeah, maybe
I forgot to mention had another blow out 20 miles later.
Best to have all six tires replaced after driving off a curb. Also a good idea to replace the 13 year old spare tire too

Old 04-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
and maybe invest in a TPMS? just sayin'. glad there was no damage, except your wallet. and a light.

edit: thanks for the info about the damage a curb can do. probably didnt even look damaged until it went bang.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
By then I was already committed so I slowly drove off the curb onto the road.
I can't help thinking that was one heck of a curb you dropped off or it was just coincidental.

At least all's well that ends well.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use to pull a trailer and I had no idea I had a flat tire until someone flagged me down. I also was pulling my toad in January and it had a flat, which I didn't know until someone flagged me down. I now have TireMinder!!!
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I couldn't go over the curb at a 90 degree angle, I was cutting across the gas station so came down at 45 degree angle. I suspect the sideways force pulled the plies apart under the tread. The sidewalls looked fine, nothing was visibly wrong or bulging. The tires were 4 years old and looked excellent. I suspect a tire pressure monitor would have caught the blow out, but would not have been able to prevent it. The pressures were all checked before I left the park. AT least now I know what a blowout sounds like (X2)

Old 04-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No matter it happened and that's what hurts the pocketbook, but better the way it went down compared to what could have happened.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #9

Ohhh, that is one of my worst fears.....a blowout, I mean. Haven't had one in the motor home, but had one years ago in a full size van. Scared me to death! I'm afraid of DH not being able to control the vehicle if we have one.........though it sounds like you couldn't even tell, really......so glad a few new tires were all the cure needed...
MoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRV View Post
Ohhh, that is one of my worst fears.....a blowout, I mean.
I felt very fortunate none of the steer tires blew out. I'm sure I would have had my hands full if that were the case. The thing that scared me was if the other rear tire (on the duallys) had blown out I think I would have had a fish tailing monster on my hands.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #11

Blowout

We had a 2005 Itasca Sunrise. The tires were less that two years old. I weighed the rig, front and back. I did not weigh the corners. I had over 500 lbs to the safe side, both front and back. Every time I drove more than 100 miles, I had a sidewall blowout on the inside rear tire. The first time it was driver's side, the second was the passangers inside rear. the third was the driver's inside rear. All were side wall blowout. No damage to the coach. The Itasca was traded.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #12

Michelin or Goodyear used to have a very good video about surviving a MH flat tire, but I can't find the link.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Michelin does have a blowout video that I watched carefully. The key especially for a steer tire is to accelerate, not put on the brakes, until you have control. When it happened to me, after watching the video, my foot beat my brain to the punch for a second before brain kicked in. Luckily, no consequences but I could definitely feel a difference in being able to steer the monster safely. Works a whole lot better to accelerate than put on brakes! A lot of people add a steering system such as Safe-T-Steer to their vehicles and coaches.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote