Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #15

Have you thought about going with a 2-3 year old gently used coach?

becks is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 05:18 PM   #16

I'd also advise skipping an entry level new and going with a higher quality manufacturer and purchase used. You'll be amazed at what you save. Also, the used one might not have all the glitz that you don't want. Each year they keep adding more of it and upping the price along with the weight.

You also state that you're not buying in the near future - just looking. If you do find a new, higher level that you like now but it's out of your budget range, make note of the Model #. Then when you're ready to buy, search for a used one with that Model #.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:46 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I agree. Don't rule out used. It may take a while to find the right one. We bought our used Mountain Aire for about the sell price of an entry level DP. It has the nuts and bolts to last for many years, not to mention solid everything else.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:53 PM   #18
Crash Test Blonde :-)

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6279 View Post

We are looking at entry-mid level. Really what I want is a basic mid level without all the fancy polished tile flooring and crazy backsplash and such. I want tile but not the polished type and really don't need all the luxury fancy stuff.

Can I get mid level quality but not all the shiny stuff?
+2! I'd like quality and class, less flashy Vegas-looking trim.

CC, Paul, & Duckie
Old 07-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #19

An Entegra or Newmar combared to a Winnabago is like comparing apples to oranges. They are in a totally different league. Built different. It's easy to rule out the higher end coach since it costs a lot more but they cost more for a reason.
Engine, chassis, suspension and i could go on and on. Drive an Entegra or Newmar and set aside the cost of the coach, then drive a Winnabago. The difference is night and day. I am not bashing Winnabago, but the more you understand the higher end coach the more you realize why they cost more. If i was full-timing, i would be in an Entegra Athem.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin View Post
An Entegra or Newmar combared to a Winnabago is like comparing apples to oranges. They are in a totally different league. Built different. It's easy to rule out the higher end coach since it costs a lot more but they cost more for a reason.

Engine, chassis, suspension and i could go on and on. Drive an Entegra or Newmar and set aside the cost of the coach, then drive a Winnabago. The difference is night and day. I am not bashing Winnabago, but the more you understand the higher end coach the more you realize why they cost more. If i was full-timing, i would be in an Entegra Athem.

I completely disagree. The Winnebago diesel line up is well thought out with the Journey anchoring the bottom end with a good value, and the Tour/Eclipse at the top. I have driven examples of all three and the driving experience is very similar. I consider Newmar to be the top of the mark but the Winnie's are a big winner in the "bang for the buck" sweepstakes. It's in no way apples/oranges. It's more like Gala vs Fuji. Somewhat different taste but they are both sweet.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:34 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
This was the approach we went with ... bought a 2012 model year coach in February 2015.

We were fortunate to find a used coach with a floor plan and feature set we liked. It was in immaculate condition with less than 20K miles on it. Obviously as a used vehicle - it was sold "as is" - BUT, the dealership treated it as if it was new - addressing the couple of extremely minor issued we discovered during our pre-delivery inspection at no charge. Selling price was less than half of the original sticker price.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
I am definitely open to a used. We are looking at the new ones now so when we buy in a year or two the new ones now will be used!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I'd also advise skipping an entry level new and going with a higher quality manufacturer and purchase used. You'll be amazed at what you save. Also, the used one might not have all the glitz that you don't want. Each year they keep adding more of it and upping the price along with the weight.

You also state that you're not buying in the near future - just looking. If you do find a new, higher level that you like now but it's out of your budget range, make note of the Model #. Then when you're ready to buy, search for a used one with that Model #.
Newmar is at the top of our list. Really I figured all of these, Newmar, Entegra, Winnie and Tiffin were higher end coaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
+2! I'd like quality and class, less flashy Vegas-looking trim.

CC, Paul, & Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin View Post
I have not driven any of them as of yet but coming from a 2005 Dutchmen on the C5500 chassis with 8.1l gas I'm sure all will be far and above in ride quality and power. Really I'm not ruling any out for cost as there is not much of a cost difference between them, except for the entry level. My favorites right now are the Winnie Tour 42, Newmar 4369 and 4018. I really went hoping to like the Entegra better but in the Aspire I did not feel the quality was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
This was the approach we went with ... bought a 2012 model year coach in February 2015.

We were fortunate to find a used coach with a floor plan and feature set we liked. It was in immaculate condition with less than 20K miles on it. Obviously as a used vehicle - it was sold "as is" - BUT, the dealership treated it as if it was new - addressing the couple of extremely minor issued we discovered during our pre-delivery inspection at no charge. Selling price was less than half of the original sticker price.
When I plan to buy in a year or two we will really be doing the same thing. Just trying to pick the one we like now!
Old 07-19-2016, 06:35 AM   #23

When we were planning on going full time I didn't even entertain the idea of new. There are so many quality used coach's out there, plus I didn't want the headaches of trying to get everything fixed on a new one. Going used also gives you the ability to really move up to a quality coach.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
When we were planning on going full time I didn't even entertain the idea of new. There are so many quality used coach's out there, plus I didn't want the headaches of trying to get everything fixed on a new one. Going used also gives you the ability to really move up to a quality coach.
That's what we will be doing. Only looking at new now as when we are ready to buy they will probably be used! Mainly I wish I could get a mid-high level coach without all the glitz as posted above.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #25

Trying to get a list of options and must haves.

Definitely want some sort of hydronic heating. AquaHot, Oasis etc. Is the engine heat worth the cost upgrade? Prefer one over another?

Chassis - been reading for a couple weeks on the chassis. Seems like Spartan is voted best. I figured Freightliner would be easier to find a service station.

All are full body paint.

Would like solar.

Anything else you all have found worth the expense??
Old 07-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6279 View Post
Trying to get a list of options and must haves.

Definitely want some sort of hydronic heating. AquaHot, Oasis etc. Is the engine heat worth the cost upgrade? Prefer one over another?

Chassis - been reading for a couple weeks on the chassis. Seems like Spartan is voted best. I figured Freightliner would be easier to find a service station.

All are full body paint.

Would like solar.

Anything else you all have found worth the expense??

1. I agree with hydronic heat. I only have experience with AH but I know Newmar uses Oasis. Engine heat is nice, particularly for pre heating engine in cold weather. Most also have an electric block heater so not a big deal either way. I have it and don't attach a big premium to that feature.
2. Spartan chassis owners are very vocal about their chassis but I read about many Spartan specific issues. I think both chassis are very comparable. I don't have either.
3. Full paint is pretty universal on upper end. I prefer lighter colors. Dark colors are heat sinks. Somewhat prone to thermal checking.
4. Few OEM builders do a decent job with solar. Most OEM solar packages are a100-125 watt panel which is essentially a trickle charge. Not enough to be really useful. The wiring they use from the roof to the controller is too light to be useful when adding more panels. A good after market project.
5. I had a tag axle as one of my "must haves".

Good idea to continue your education at the Tampa Super Show. Also visit Lazydays just across I75 and above I4 from the fairgrounds. They generally have a number of quality used coaches. The higher end units are plugged in and all are open.

Look for what is available in '05-'07 high end coaches. These years are previous to the DPF systems which have been somewhat problematic. Country Coach, Newmar Essex or Mountain Aire. Monaco/Holiday Rambler/Beaver. Foretravel is a great coach but you might have to go back a little further.

Good luck. The search is a lot of fun.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #27

Just did a year long search for our fulltime DP. Sounds like we have similar taste as I didn't want all the glitz & glitter either. Although, I was looking for a 36'-38' with at least 400HP Cummins, which really limited our choices. We did look at all the top manufacturers and also found some pretty shoddy workmanship in brand new 300-400k models! Ended up buying an 2005 Foretravel U270. We are extremely happy with our choice, Foretravel is a very well built motorhome. I would highly recommend adding them to your list.
BigD629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:27 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
PS - you probably know already - but the Tour and Ellipse are the same coach, and the Journey and Meridian are the same coach. Don't rule out Meridian or Ellipse on your search. They all Winnebago.

We felt the 42E was a perfect compromise for us to the Tour 42QD. A few less fancies - but the 42E tag offers a bit more than the shorter ones, like little more HP, 3 ACs, etc. The new 42E now has Aqua-Hot as well, and the 450hp vs our 400hp.

There are a few things I miss from what we saw in the Tour/Ellipse: Dishwasher (hope to install one in ours); heated seats; aquahot; automatic locking cabinets (that is a biggy - it is a pain running around locking these cabinets). Silly stuff like the soap and towel dispenser they exclude in the wet bay, the remote tank monitor in the wet bay, stuff like that I can live with or upgrade.