Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #1

Went looking at new DP's yesterday

So the wife and I have been looking at new class A diesels over the past few months. Probably not going to buy anything in the near future but just trying to get an idea on what we look. No rush.

We had narrowed it down to Winnebago, Tiffin, Entegra, Newmar and Fleetwood. We really like the Winnebago Tour and really the Journey. We find we don't need all the fancy luxury items that the Tour carries but like the larger motor and some other features. I'm hoping to talk my wife in to going full time. I think the Journey 42E or Tour 42qd would suit us just fine.

Going to scratch Entegra off our list. Visited a dealer with both Newmar and Entegra on the lot and we are not impressed with Entegra. Seemed very poor wrokmanship. Loose walls, wallpaper coming off at seams etc. For the money the Newmar Dutch Star seemed more well put together.

We have been hearing some bad things about Tiffin and Fleetwood lately as well so I'm not sure if they will stay on the list. Probably narrow the search down to Winne and Newmar.
matthew6279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Have you looked at the Nexus? I think if I were looking for a new coach I would definitely check them out! You should be able to get more for your money buying direct from the manufacturer!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Have you looked at the Nexus? I think if I were looking for a new coach I would definitely check them out! You should be able to get more for your money buying direct from the manufacturer!
I have looked at some class C Nexus motorhomes and I did not care for it. Maybe I need to look at some Class A.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #4

A quick look at their website only shows 35'.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6279 View Post
A quick look at their website only shows 35'.

OK, didn't realize that!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6279 View Post
So the wife and I have been looking at new class A diesels over the past few months. Probably not going to buy anything in the near future but just trying to get an idea on what we look. No rush.

We had narrowed it down to Winnebago, Tiffin, Entegra, Newmar and Fleetwood. We really like the Winnebago Tour and really the Journey. We find we don't need all the fancy luxury items that the Tour carries but like the larger motor and some other features. I'm hoping to talk my wife in to going full time. I think the Journey 42E or Tour 42qd would suit us just fine.

Going to scratch Entegra off our list. Visited a dealer with both Newmar and Entegra on the lot and we are not impressed with Entegra. Seemed very poor wrokmanship. Loose walls, wallpaper coming off at seams etc. For the money the Newmar Dutch Star seemed more well put together.

We have been hearing some bad things about Tiffin and Fleetwood lately as well so I'm not sure if they will stay on the list. Probably narrow the search down to Winne and Newmar.

My wife and I have completed 9 years full time. We owned a Winnie D/P back in the days of no slide coaches. They are solid coaches. I don't consider them to be the equal of Newmar in overall quality or value.

If I were in the market today Newmar would be high on my list.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #7

wallpaper in a new motorhome?
Old 07-18-2016, 05:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
My wife and I have completed 9 years full time. We owned a Winnie D/P back in the days of no slide coaches. They are solid coaches. I don't consider them to be the equal of Newmar in overall quality or value.

If I were in the market today Newmar would be high on my list.
Newmar is high on the list if I can find the floor plan I want. We really like the front living room with the L sofa and corner tv and fireplace. The 4018 Dutch Star offers that but I like the rest of the floor plan in the 4369.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
wallpaper in a new motorhome?
This was in the Aspire I believe which is not Entegras high end unit like the Cornerstone. We also looked at the Anthem but just didn't love it. Actually maybe it was in the Inspire?? I can't remember now! But it was the area above the drivers side slide. The seam was loose and the wall was loose.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:40 AM   #9

Entegra's entry level line is the Insignia. Perhaps that is what you looked at. I don't remember seeing any wallpaper in any of the other models but I wasn't really looking for any either.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:43 AM   #10

I have looked at so many at this point its hard to keep straight. I thought I looked at the Aspire and Anthem. Probably going back to look and set up a test drive in a couple weeks so I will follow up.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #11

We bought a used 2014 Tiffin Red last year that had not been used by 1st owner and had no problems other than material furniture was made with was flaking. We bought a new 2106 Phaeton in Feb and have been travelling in it since then and only problems have been with the chassis and engine. I would not scratch them off the list. When we went to buy we thought we wanted an Entegra but when taking time to sit in both and the $ value between that and what we bought just couldnt justify the Entegra. We are happy with this coach. Its a 36GH. I think some of the problems with coaches are as much the owner as the builder.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #12

You are going about your search the right way. Find out what you like and what you don't like. Read this forum and those that are brand specific such as the Tiffin RV Network Forum. Find out what brands have issues and how or maybe I should say if, those issues get resolved. Go to shows and see what's available where you can compare coaches. Hershey comes up in September and Tampa in January. Both are excellent shows with more Class A's in Tampa than in Hershey but you'll find all the mid-level brands at Hershey which sounds like your target budget level. Enjoy the search. It can be fun.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #13

The only problem with RV shows is that you don't really see the specific models you may want. Dealers usually have more variety on floorplans and models. An entry model is way different from other models. You could be looking at entry levels and crossing the whole manufacturer off you list because of what you see. Newmar typically will have good quality throughout. Every model is made on the same line by the same workers.

Take some manufacturer's tours.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
We bought a used 2014 Tiffin Red last year that had not been used by 1st owner and had no problems other than material furniture was made with was flaking. We bought a new 2106 Phaeton in Feb and have been travelling in it since then and only problems have been with the chassis and engine. I would not scratch them off the list. When we went to buy we thought we wanted an Entegra but when taking time to sit in both and the $ value between that and what we bought just couldnt justify the Entegra. We are happy with this coach. Its a 36GH. I think some of the problems with coaches are as much the owner as the builder.
I agree that some of the problems with coaches are the owners as well as the builder. But, new on the showroom floor with wallpaper issues does not sit well with me on a $400,000 coach. I asked my wife and it was the Aspire that had that issue. I'm not 100% sure that Tiffin is off our list yet. Just seems that I hear more and more complaints and then hear that they are backed up down in Red Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
You are going about your search the right way. Find out what you like and what you don't like. Read this forum and those that are brand specific such as the Tiffin RV Network Forum. Find out what brands have issues and how or maybe I should say if, those issues get resolved. Go to shows and see what's available where you can compare coaches. Hershey comes up in September and Tampa in January. Both are excellent shows with more Class A's in Tampa than in Hershey but you'll find all the mid-level brands at Hershey which sounds like your target budget level. Enjoy the search. It can be fun.
We are going to try and make a show, probably the Tampa show in January. I'm slowly narrowing down my list of must haves. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The only problem with RV shows is that you don't really see the specific models you may want. Dealers usually have more variety on floorplans and models. An entry model is way different from other models. You could be looking at entry levels and crossing the whole manufacturer off you list because of what you see. Newmar typically will have good quality throughout. Every model is made on the same line by the same workers.

Take some manufacturer's tours.
We are looking at entry-mid level. Really what I want is a basic mid level without all the fancy polished tile flooring and crazy backsplash and such. I want tile but not the polished type and really don't need all the luxury fancy stuff.

Can I get mid level quality but not all the shiny stuff?