Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #15

We'd been looking at coaches off and on for a few months as we were looking to upgrade from our beautiful old Bounder. We met some folks with a 39' Siena and just loved the "quirkiness" of the Siena (built by the same folks who did Alfa) and the residential appliances. We then saw a 35' with double slides and we knew that was what we wanted. So the hunt began!

We finally found one being offered by the largest dealer network in the SW. I was going to drive from Palm Springs to Yuma to see it. The rep, a personal acquaintance, couldn't guarantee it would be in Yuma the next day as he wanted to bring it to Mesa, AZ so I basically did everything over the phone. Sight unseen, though I had been told via the manager in Yuma that the inside was "impeccable" but there was a bit of oxidation on the outside. I negotiated the price and headed to Mesa to pick it up...rented a car for the 325 mile trip from Palm Springs to Mesa.

I asked my DW if I had any freedom to walk away from the deal if I did not like what I saw, she said "if it doesn't start" LOL. Anyways, the interior while nice was certainly not "impeccable" and the state of the decals, especially the large one covering the entire rear, was a 7 out of 10 at best. In other words, the coach was nice but clearly not pristine. Had I seen it first I would have negotiated a much better price. Also, I was told we had a 800 credit score, but don't think I got as good of a rate as I could have. I was just putting a lot of faith in the sales rep who I have known for several years, but a salesman is a salesman, right?

I spent a good 90 minutes going over the coach, but still missed a cracked upper awning mount and several other little issues which I have had to take care of. Do we love the coach...absolutely! But I learned a great lesson regarding rv purchases. And I was shocked that the industry standard is to essentially do nothing to a coach until a contract is signed. And then apply a tire dressing and a little inside housekeeping and send the buyer down the road!!

I guess the thing I am upset about the most is being told that if I drove to Yuma to see it first, it might not be there. I would think ANY salesman would have called the Yuma lot and said I have a serious buyer coming tomorrow to see this coach. For me, Yuma was a lot closer to Palm Springs then Mesa, AZ!

Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #16

Who trades these things in in that condition? Even tho I know I won't get a dime more for it, I'd still clean the unit out before I traded it.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:56 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
Who trades these things in in that condition? Even tho I know I won't get a dime more for it, I'd still clean the unit out before I traded it.

A whole lot of people! We just had one roll in with 15 year old tires you could stick your fingers into the sidewall cracks. I've seen $$$$ coaches come in that looked like they offroaded in it. It's for this reason we have a tech who does nothing but repair trade-ins, and the coach gets washed and cleaned inside before it is put up for sale.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Dealers.... We started out looking at dealers because we thought we could look at several coaches at one spot instead of driving two hours to look at one. What we found was that most of the dealers we found bought a lot of coaches at auctions. Even ones they took in trade they disavowed any knowledge of their prior history. We slowly migrated to looking only at private sellers and found a much better quality of coach. I'm not saying you can't find a good coach at a dealer, just that they aren't as common as you might think.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #19

If you're located in mid Ohio I don't have specific dealer recommendations but perhaps others will. It's a hike but KingsCampers in Wausau gets good reviews though. After spotting some flaws (delamination, etc) in several used coaches we decided to go with a reputable dealer who would help us after the sale but hiring a professional inspector would be advisable at least.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:29 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just like Brian said, you would not believe some of the coaches that come in trade. I cant believe that some people live this way and surround themselves in such literal FILTH! There are many that I wont even walk into to inspect for fear of bringing some kind of critter home with me. How people sleep in and allow their children to live in these conditions is beyond me. These folks exist people! It amazes me when you meet these folks and you think ok, ordinary people and then they bring there trade in to the store and your whole perception changes. I'll take some pics next time, I promise you it wont take more than a couple days to accumulate a few priceless shots. Maybe Brian will contribut a few as well? Oh, one more thing, we dont buy our units at auction.....ever.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can you imagine what their homes look like??!!
Old 04-14-2016, 06:33 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Just like Brian said, you would not believe some of the coaches that come in trade. I cant believe that some people live this way and surround themselves in such literal FILTH! There are many that I wont even walk into to inspect for fear of bringing some kind of critter home with me. How people sleep in and allow their children to live in these conditions is beyond me. These folks exist people! It amazes me when you meet these folks and you think ok, ordinary people and then they bring there trade in to the store and your whole perception changes. I'll take some pics next time, I promise you it wont take more than a couple days to accumulate a few priceless shots. Maybe Brian will contribut a few as well? Oh, one more thing, we dont buy our units at auction.....ever.

I can grab some photo's next time a doozy comes in. Like Mojoracing's dealership we do not buy at auction either. It's not just trade ins that come in that way either, it's also units being brought in for service. The best part is when they come back wanting to trade 6 months later and tell us how well it's been taken care of.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #23

I read meters for the power company for a few years. Sometimes we had to go through the customers house to get to the meter. One lady was a hoarder. Had a small path all the way through her house. It was disgusting !!!!!
Old 04-15-2016, 12:17 AM   #24

Arbogastrv is who I talked with a week or two ago. They stated they buy most of their used RV's from auction however are very picky on what they get. I told them I have visited a RV auction that's a few miles from my house and they said they will send their junk trade ins there and would suggest never buying unless I want a major project. From what I saw they were right on that....

Mount comfort, camping world (Fairfield & Colombus Oh, Richmond IN which all were Tom Raper), Lewis RV & colerain RV are the closest ones to me. I hope I can find one from a private seller to hopefully save some $$$$ and also get a more realistic opinion of the condition.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #25

Just be very wary of Camping World. Not too many good things to say about that place, as you have probably already read.

RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote