Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Just when we are getting ready to take off for two or three months on the road to warmer southern climates, the price of gas goes through the roof. Well, this year I for one am not going to let it be a problem because soon the rig will be packed, the tires kicked, and the Allegro is pointed south, or west, or???? I can see a couple of extra nights at Wally World or a day or two staying put to offset the extra bucks spent on gas. What do you think?

Happy trails,
Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Just when we are getting ready to take off for two or three months on the road to warmer southern climates, the price of gas goes through the roof. Well, this year I for one am not going to let it be a problem because soon the rig will be packed, the tires kicked, and the Allegro is pointed south, or west, or???? I can see a couple of extra nights at Wally World or a day or two staying put to offset the extra bucks spent on gas. What do you think?

Happy trails,
Bob
Old 11-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #3

Go for it!!
Last Feb/March we spent five weeks wandering
the Carolinas,Ga and Fl.
When I figured it all out at the end we had actually averaged less than 100 mi. a day.
There were a few travel days when we used a lot of gas but several days we didn't move.
Milt
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Thats the spirit Bob. We can't just give up what we love because of the prices. Your Idea of spending a night or 2 at wally world or where ever, and even staying put will help.

Have fun and enjoy.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #5

Same here. We will leave middle of Jan for two months in Florida. 1250 miles round trip;
10mpg at $3.20 per gal.--$400.00 for gas. That is if we park the MH when we get there and don't take it anywhere until we return home.
We have cut our restuarant visits by more than half....That'll give us the money for the gas for the MH.
Trouble forseen is the price of just about everything is creeping up because of the gas prices.
Bill

03 Minnie E450 V10
trvlrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I like the spirit. We worked all of our lives to get to this point, and I will be darned if some towel head who wants to hold us hostage with his oil is going to spoil my retirement!
Go for it....
Old 11-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think future traders are mostly to blame for rising costs. Speculators see a chance to make profits on something we all want. I see another ENRON im the making!

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Well Senior Chief! I envy you!!

I took a weeks vacation - and the weather was perfect, but, we could not take our coach out.

Price of fuel is steep, but, we had to put a new heating/cooling system in the house - and that was steeper. I tried the old adage of ours "Done so much with so little, for so long that I am qualified to do everything with nothing!" Hey! It worked well when we were in the CG, but the furnace decided "Done so little with so much, that I must be a politician!" And it quit!

I just winterized the water system and will be taking the 40'er down for an oil change this week. Maybe we can get away for a weekend in January!!!

Have good trip!

Gordon_R
aka (Retired CG Chief)

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Gordon;
Don't give it a second thought as heating the house in the winter is number one priority. But, before you know it.....spring will have returned (or nearly returned) and the call of the open road will prevail and that beautiful HR Ambassador will going on down the highway. Us chiefs have a way of getting it done!
Bob
Old 11-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
I think future traders are mostly to blame for rising costs. Speculators see a chance to make profits on something we all want. I see another ENRON im the making! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I watched one of those Sunday talk shows a while back and that was their consensus.
Fuel price will have an effect of everyone. Brian Williams of NBC nightly news said last week to expect $4/G by Jan 08 and $5/G by the coming summer. That's gonna hurt the economy!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:27 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
[expect $4/G by Jan 08 and $5/G by the coming summer. That's gonna hurt the economy! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is already hurting the economy. The average middle class working family on a fixed income can not continue to cut back in other areas to make ends meet to pay for fuel and energy costs. Once gas hits $4/Gal I litterally will not be able to afford to drive to work. I will end up selling the truck and camper just to be able to go to work. I will end up taking a huge loss on the truck I just purchased and lossing the main means of recreation and vacations that our family has, which by the way is already listed for sale because of this nonesense. It is great for everyone who can afford to absorb this insane and unjustified increases, but when the economy is in the toilet in 6 months to a year and everyone is hurting because of it, I persaonally don't want to hear anyone complaining then when something needs to be done about it now. Done venting.

Go and enjopy your trip. You have worked hard for the lifestyle, enjoy it to it's fullest.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Rick. There is allot of truth in your statement.

That said - like someone above said - we worked and sweated all these years to get these toys. For me? It started with my first pop-up in the early 80's - and I saw and toured allot of mobile palaces along the way, to the point where I could finally afford a nice one.

Ain't nuffin gonna interfere with that now. Frankly, I'd rather eat oatmeal (which I detest) 3 times a day if that's what it took to hold on it it!

They gonna have to pry my cold dead fingers off'n the steering wheel!!!

Besides! It's too much fun playen wif it!!!

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #13

Hey, another Coast Guard Chief (fomer, now CWO-I sold out for the money ) jumping in here.

Although I'm still on AD, I won't let fuel prices slow me down. There are other ways to cut back to offset the cost of using my MH. I currently drive a 4 cylinder car that gives me 30 mpg and that savings goes into my fuel account over a previously less economical vehicle.

If worse comes to worse, I'll sell a kidney or something, can't stop RVing, have to use those 30 days of leave each year!

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Once a chief, always a chief! There are always ways to reduce the cost of RVing. In our case, when we get underway in early December, its straight to Fort Wilderness for 10 nites with the mouse, then to Miami for 7 days at a campground, then back to central Florida where we'll be more or less stationary. Finally, its a week at Daytona for a week of NASCAR madness in February before we return to Tennessee. Doesn't cost a dime in fuel expenses while parked. Semper P.
Bob