Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbelljlg View Post
I understand what you are saying we are having a problem with them also about them lying to us. I feel they should be held accountable for their lies. To me that would some kind of false advertising and that is illegal. We were told that they are not responsible for what their sales people say to us to try and get us to sign a contract. Which in my way of think they should be responsible.
A verbal contract or promise is worth the paper it's written on. If it's not in writing then it never happened or was said.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Ocean Canyons and WHR

I kind of feel responsible in some way for some of this. My problem was not with WHR, it was with Ocean Canyons. Our contract was with WHR which was NOT a lifetime membership. Ocean Canyons was trying to tell me I could not just stop paying dues and walk away from them....despite what I was told by Lance at WHR (in writing).

Any legal action that was going to be taken was only against Ocean Canyons for their strong arm tactics and illegal actions trying to change the terms of the contract we signed with WHR. We NEVER signed a contract with Ocean Canyons yet we were harassed for 3 years by them with threatening letters even after I had finally gotten them to state in writing they had cancelled our membership. When there was a threat to turn it over for collection it was the last straw. I had turned over my file to my attorney but we did not proceed with any legal action because they stopped harassing me and nothing was turned over for collection. I'm not holding my breath....until after the 1st of the year when I typically get another harassing bill saying we still owe dues. If that happens my attorney will be taking action but NOT against WHR. It will strictly be against Ocean Canyons for harassment, refusing to cancel a contract that they had already cancelled in writing and attempting to ruin our good credit.

None of this was the fault of WHR, it was all on Ocean Canyons. Yes, we still maintain our membership at Western Horizons and I do totally understand what they are going through and can empathize with them.

Am I angry, yes. Am I angry at WHR, no. Did they know what Ocean Canyons would do to some of their members...probably not!

Oh, and by the way there are contracts that do have a "cooling off period" where you can cancel during that period and get a full refund.

Nedra
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Western Horizons

Nedra,
Thank you for your acknowledgement. Hoepfully, this will clear up a some of the negatives posted about WHR.

Lynne
Western Horizon Resorts
lynneberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #18

Please cite the law that says there are 3 days to rescind a contract.

There is no "3 day right of rescission" on any contracts except where they come to you door, like selling encyclopedias or vacuums. If you go to them, then you're bound from the time you sign the contract on.[/QUOTE]

In the Alabama Time Share Act there is such a law. This "Ocean Canyon Resorts" has gone around this by separating themselves from this law and being very proud of it. This "membership" is basically sold as the same type as most time shares.

I don't know how many banks you deal with that come to your door, but most loans are also under this same 3 day right to rescind as well.
case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
It may NOT be a law but some contracts are written with a X number of days cooling off period. I DID NOT say it was a law, but what I said is that some contracts are written with a cooling off period within the contract...there is a difference.

We have had contracts that we signed giving us that cooling off period and it had nothing to do with someone coming to our door.

I'm not sure where you get your information that ONLY contracts from door to door sales persons allow a cooling off period are those that are door to door sales. The law may mandate that door to door sales have a cooling off period but any contract can offer the cooling off period. So there is a big difference from a law mandating and a company offering it on their own.

Here is verbatim from the WHR contract that we signed and I believe there is one in the Thousand Trails that is similar. I'm sure Lynne can add something to this discussion as well.

I'm quoting:

"Purchasers Right to Cancel: You may cancel this contract without any cancellation fee or other penalty, or stated reason for doing so, by sending a cancellation by certified mail, return receipt requested to: WHR.

This notice must be postmarked by midnight of the third business day following the day on which the Contract is signed....."

"If you sign this contract without having inspected a property at which camping sites are located or planned, you may cancel this contract by giving this notice within six (6) business days following the day on which you signed the contract".

This is the 3 day cooling off period I mentioned but I had forgotten about the 3 day cooling off period if you haven't been to a resort.

You must keep in mind that a law covers certain aspects of a contract but ANY company can offer a cooling off period even if the law doesn't mandate that so I think you need to get the facts straight. We're not talking laws, loans or banks, we're talking a contract and the contents of a contract that offers a voluntary (not mandated by law) 3 day cooling off period regardless of laws mandating it from door to door sales and bank loans. Perhaps there is a law mandating this cooling off period for other contracts but I'm not up to date on contract law and apparently you don't know enough about it either. My comment was regarding a contract that we signed so I had full knowledge that the contract offered this cooling off period whether mandated by law or not.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
OK, just when I thought the fight with Ocean Canyons was over I received a bill for annual dues.

Thank god I have copies of all the letters and emails from them stating that they have cancelled our contract AND removed our name from the membership list.

So much for their promises.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. YOU WILL NEVER GET RID OF THEM NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY!!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wish I had never messed with Ocean Canyon Properties. Your experience may be better.

I have had no dealings with Western Horizons and have nothing to say about them either way.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Well all I can say is I've never dealt with a company that is so deceptive and incompetent before.....and I worked for the Federal Government for 30+ years.

My experience with Ocean Canyon Properties has been one nightmare after another and it has been going on for almost 3 years now but it will soon come to an end one way or another.

Nedra
Old 12-07-2011, 01:55 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
We have an appointment next week at Styx River, Alabama. They are giving us 3 free days of camping, 50.00 and a turkey to go through their tour and speel. After reading this I think I should cancel. Comments?
chiefk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:08 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefk View Post
We have an appointment next week at Styx River, Alabama. They are giving us 3 free days of camping, 50.00 and a turkey to go through their tour and speel. After reading this I think I should cancel. Comments?
I think I would print this thread and take it to the meeting. In fact, make copies and pass them out.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:35 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefk View Post
Go and enjoy. Decide before you go if you are interested in a purchase of a long term membership. If that answer is a no then stick to that answer. In spite of what you may hear the deal will probably be available tomorrow if you don't buy it today. Just know that there is no rescinding your commitment. Be sure it will be something you will use. Calculate how much camping you will actually do and how much it would cost you to simply pay as you go instead of making a large financial commitment.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Very good idea to print this off and read it over and over. I would never sign a contract with Ocean Canyon Properties UNLESS I got a copy of the one I was going to sign and have my attorney read it. They told me in no uncertain terms their contract is a lifetime contract. That's not just a long term contract. It could mean you are in it for life as are your heirs.

They will tell you that if you don't sign up now the price will change later. That could be but knowing what I know about this company I would never sign without reading the contract, re-reading it and then having an attorney read it to be sure what I'm signing is a contract where you can cancel anytime you want to....such as when you stop RVing.

The lure of a free weekend and $50 is very nice and it's what they all use to get you there. Just keep in mind they are good at hard selling and you must be better at resisting temptation until you are absolutely sure you can get out of that contract when you want to. Also be sure there is a clause that gives you 3 days to get your money back without any fees.

In the last 2 years I have gotten phone calls and emails from people asking me how to get out of a contract they signed with Ocean Canyons. I never signed a contract with them and I'm not an attorney so I can't tell anyone how to deal with their particular situation. All I know is that my contract was signed with Western Horizons. It was not a lifetime contract. Ocean Canyons told me in no undertain terms theirs is a lifetime contract. Since we did not agree to a change in the terms of the contract we signed with WHR and we never signed a contract with Ocean Canyons they had no legal right to change the terms of our contract just because they bought Albeita Springs from WHR.

SO, remember the words "buyer beware" and never sign a contract with Ocean Canyons without reading the fine print and better still have an attorney read it and tell you what the fine print means.

You might be lured in with all the free goodies but you must know what you are signing. A couple called me this past year saying they sent written notice the next day after signing to cancel their contract and they have not been able to get out from under their contract. They claim there was a clause giving them 3 days to change their mind. I don't know if they followed the clause to the "letter" or not but if so they have a legal out. But with that said, so did I and it has been almost 3 years since this all started and I'm still getting communications and bills for our membership from them (even after a letter stating our membership was cancelled and we were released from any and all financial obligations from and to OCP over a year ago) along with apologies for sending them each time. I've spent countless hours on the phone and via emails. Even though I never had a contract with them that we signed it is close to 3 years (in February) since this all started. Even with 3 emails and letters saying my membership has been cancelled I'm still getting bills....just imagine what would happen if you actually had signed a lifetime (or any contract for that matter) contract with them.

Also check the better business bureau about them before you go. I've been told complaints have been filed (not mine...yet) and their rating has been changed.

Nedra
Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't put a lot of value in the BBB ratings anymore. Ripoff Report | Better Business Bureau BBB & CBBB | Complaint Review: 1343
Old 12-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

What a nightmare, Nedra. Sorry you have had to deal with this aggravation. Have you checked your credit report to see if they have given you negative input? Hope it's all resolved for you soon.