Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
A friend of mine, Phil Watson, (whipper Billy's Son for you old Canadians) travelled in his motorcoach with a little monkey. He went through a lot because of that little imp and I know first hand how much work they are Barb. More power to you. I wish you all the best with the eventual successful bid to border crossing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #72

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
My disdain for the idiocy of the US and Canadian government is due to the laws they pass that prohibit us from traveling between each and even to some US states based solely on Sena's species.
I made/make no personal judgements about your pet- I only objected to your (initial) characterization of U.S.A. travel/entry bans/restrictions as "idiotic". The initial implication was that this Country alone has such restrictions when they're almost universal worldwide, in fact making no distinction between fit/unfit private persons or even between rich and poor, as Justin Bieber recently found out in Germany. Link to story

It's not just an American/Canadian thing, and what some may call "restrictions" others call "protections". I only ask that if you want to characterize such policies as "idiotic", please don't single out my country for the label when most of the rest of the world is on the same page.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #73

Income pigeons (made for plucking)
Old 04-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Barb - looks like Sena is biting the keys off the wrong keyboard. Seems a properly immunized and health certified monkey would be accepted "almost universally worldwide" to me. So why it can't be worked out is beyond me, even if it took a little quarantine time or vet visit.

And now I can't stop singing your walking on the fighting side of me. Lol. Hey wasn't that an Oklahoma song. I know it got a lot of air time in Texas. Sometimes I think folks like you have so much life others can't find one.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #75

Okmunky....many thanks for your thoughtful and insightful glimpse into the world of caring for a primate. While I imagine this not something most people or RVers would be prepared to consider, I feel you have done a great service in helping to educate many many people to the pitfalls and everyday reality of these creatures.

Unfortunately I also fall into the camp of those adamantly opposed to people having primates as a pet under any circumstance ( including therapy)...so I also support very stringent restrictions on these pets just as I would for anyone caring for poisonous vipers, ferrets, wolfs and any number of otherwise "wild" animals.

No doubt there will be many who disagree with this position but in the pursuit of "balance" there is another side to this issue...

Position of the US - Humane Society...

Quote ...That made us wonder: Do capuchin monkeys make good pets? We asked Debbie Leahy, manager of captive wildlife protection for the Humane Society of the United States.

1) Is it OK to have a pet monkey?

No primate species should ever be kept as a pet. They have very special needs. These are highly social animals. They need to be kept with others of their own kind; that's just critical to their psychological well-being.

2) I've read that some disabled people use capuchins as "helper monkeys."

That's not a legitimate role. It's a scam. Sometimes [the training of] these so-called helper monkeys [involves] physical abuse, including electric shock. Supposedly they can do things on command, like turn light switches on and off or fetch a remote control. But the Americans with Disabilities Act does not recognize primates as service animals; it only recognize dogs. So it's not a legitimate use of a primate.

Probably not a popular position for me to take on this Forum, but I have been an animal advocate my whole life.....so feel free to flame away.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
As the OP of this question I like to summarize by saying I kind of like being called a ""sunbird, was indifferent to "tourist" and don't like being thought of as a "monkey" with or without immigration status to cross the Canadian border.

Now I would like to add that if someone wants to care for me as a pet, and let me live in their RV full time, I'm pretty sure Sandy would testify that I'm devolved enough to be classified as a primate in both the US and Canada, and I do have a passport. 🙉

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star
As the OP of this question I like to summarize by saying I kind of like being called a ""sunbird, was indifferent to "tourist" and don't like being thought of as a "monkey" with or without immigration status to cross the Canadian border.

Now I would like to add that if someone wants to care for me as a pet, and let me live in their RV full time, I'm pretty sure Sandy would testify that I'm devolved enough to be classified as a primate in both the US and Canada, and I do have a passport. dde49
And add a gentleman and a scholar for putting your post back on track before somebody put their eye out. If sunbird works for you, it's good enough for me!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Okmunky....many thanks for your thoughtful and insightful glimpse into the world of caring for a primate. While I imagine this not something most people or RVers would be prepared to consider, I feel you have done a great service in helping to educate many many people to the pitfalls and everyday reality of these creatures.
I agree with that much of it.
Now, back on topic....

I'm betting some that went back up to the Midwest too soon became snowmen/women.
I've made it back to Kentucky so far.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #79

Maybe "dribwons"?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #80
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks,

There is SO much misinformation about monkeys that causes us a great deal of discrimination -- everything from many people only having heard of spider monkeys and asking if Sena is one to people fearing that Sena will give them Ebola or rip their face off as that Chimpanzee up north did. Sena weighs 8 pounds, an adult male Chimp about 140.

Sena is one of maybe 3 adult monkeys out of the hundreds that I have met that I would trust to go out in public. As such, I feel she is a good ambassador for her species and I do allow strangers to interact with her. Most service animals are strictly "No touch".

I believe all our lives are enriched by animals and am particularly blessed to have Sena in mine. Now I promise to drop the subject on the forums. If anyone has any comments or questions, please PM me.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Reverse Snowbird....... Bent Towbar???
Old 04-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #82

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Reverse Snowbird...........Canadian with dyslexia? Maybe?? .......
Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #83
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Maybe it's someone who forgot their DW at the border washroom and had to turn back to get her. LOL.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #84
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Reverse Snowbird...........Canadian with dyslexia? Maybe?? .......
Are we really gonna go there???

I know lots about Montana!!! And it ain't pretty! LOL