Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I have an expansion tank that came with the MoHo. It looks like it might hold a gallon at max. It needs to be pumped up at 20PSI.Though noisy, my pump only needs to run occasionally.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
You can often reduce the pump noise by mounting the pump to a piece of 1x? wood with rubber mounts, and then mount the wood with a second set of rubber mounts.

Joel
I did just as you describe here Joel, and added some flexible hose to the outlet and it worked like a charm! Sure made a big difference.
Also as Ols Scout said, don't over tighten the bolts to the rubber mounts.

Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #17

Surge/expansion tank can be mounted anywhere. When mounting, just consider how it will affect your winterizing routine.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Surge/expansion tank can be mounted anywhere. When mounting, just consider how it will affect your winterizing routine.
I think that mounting a tank inside the MH could only help the winter blues, and after this last trip (our first in sub-freezing weather), I'm keen to know more.

We left the hose connected and it froze, causing me to pour warm water onto the spigot to un-screw the frozen hose, then take said stiffy into the shower to water it down to decent temp What was I thinking?

Off the subject, but if the wet bay heater didn't come on, how would we go about testing the heater if it's activated by low temps???
Old 12-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Expansion tank, of course! What GPM is worthwhile, and is it accurate to think that the more GPM, the more cycling time?

If space is limited, can we platoon a couple of tanks in-line, for more effect?
The GPM is not the issue, it's the pressure drop.

Yes you can install as large a expansion tank as you have room to mount. I've read of at least one guy who made his own from 6"D plastic pipe and 2 end caps. He made it for, and mounted it in an available space. The downside to a homemade expansion tank is, it has no bladder to pre-pressurize, so it must be drained frequently to restore the air space, as jostling water will absorb the air.
The tank has only one port, put that on the bottom and the tank will always drain when you open the low point drain valve; no freeze worries.
Not related to RV's, but I have a capped vertical length of copper pipe in my house plumbing to stop "water hammer" noise/vibration. It's a minature expansion tank.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a slightly different view on this.

I agree that a way needs to be found to make our water pumps QUIETER.

I do not agree that a way needs to be found to make our water pumps NOISELESS!

More than just a couple of times I have turned my water pump off because I could hear it running continuously. Each time there was a good reason, like one time I had run out of water. Another time, I had forgotten to close my city water valve.

If my pump was noiseless, it probably would have run and run and run, until it was too old and tired to be able to run at all.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #21

Shurflo has a couple of new pumps out that reduce noise. I installed one, and it works better than the original one. I still can hear it, but it doesn't wake up the entire campground.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #22

Guess I'm lucky. Our 17 year old pump is still working fine and runs with just a hum.

And I agree - it's something that you really do want to hear....
Old 12-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Guess I'm lucky. Our 17 year old pump is still working fine and runs with just a hum.

And I agree - it's something that you really do want to hear....

Any idea about brand and model of that pump? A hum beats a ratta ratta any day.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I miss the smell of gun smoke in the morning
Old 12-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #25

The pump is an old ShurFlo. My point has to do with how it's installed - and how subjective the noise it makes can be?
Old 12-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the same problem. I can see that my pump was mounted wrong from the factory. This has been a low priority for my because we are mostly on park water.

The noise is always going to be there. The more flex you have for the lines at the pump the less noise will be telegraphed through the pex. My plumbing is snug tight, and the pump even has the noise reducing hoses on it. Some sound is good. The OP description is NOT NICE!
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Does anybody know of a unit that makes the least amount of noise? Regular pumps just hum, and my MH pump rattles. Are all of our pumps rattlers?
The Shurflo Revolution is waaay quieter than the Flojet it replaced because I couldn't stand the noise.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I have a slightly different view on this.

I agree that a way needs to be found to make our water pumps QUIETER.

I do not agree that a way needs to be found to make our water pumps NOISELESS!

More than just a couple of times I have turned my water pump off because I could hear it running continuously. Each time there was a good reason, like one time I had run out of water. Another time, I had forgotten to close my city water valve.

If my pump was noiseless, it probably would have run and run and run, until it was too old and tired to be able to run at all.

Jim
Very good point!

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump