Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #1

What about NOISELESS water pumps??

There has to be a better way Our water pump making it's ratta tatta tat tat noise every time we run water can't be the best way, can it?

Is there a way to store pressure so the pump doesn't run after two seconds of use?

Would two pumps help anything?

Is there such a thing as a noiseless pump?

What GPM is going to make the pump work harder and make more noise. IOW, what's the least GPM that still lets water run like home without the pump running like crazy?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #2

Three things to consider: 1] make sure the rubber mounts on the pump feet arent too tight against the frame; 2] add flexible pipes [faucet connectors] between pump and the PEX lines; and 3] add a small expansion tank to limit cycles.....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #3

Expansion tank, of course! What GPM is worthwhile, and is it accurate to think that the more GPM, the more cycling time?

If space is limited, can we platoon a couple of tanks in-line, for more effect?
Old 11-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #4

Even though ours is brand new it still makes more noise than you would think. It does hold pressure though as you can flush or use the faucet for a little bit with the pump shut off.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:27 PM   #5

The water heater tank, unless you're lifting the pop off valve to vent it, will generally trap quite a bit of air as it fills. That air will act like a surge tank might.

Fewer GPM would let it run longer, more = shorter run time. Either way, it's still going to come on as soon as the pressure switch senses a pressure drop in the water line.

The more expensive models are set up to read line pressure and adjust motor rpm/pump speed according to demand if you think that might help.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #6

Does anybody know of a unit that makes the least amount of noise? Regular pumps just hum, and my MH pump rattles. Are all of our pumps rattlers?
Old 12-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Noiseless H2O pumps will be invented at the same time as noiseless furnace blowers. NEVER!!!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We installed a variable speed pump in the 5er. It reduced the noise by quite a bit but still can be heard.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Does anybody know of a unit that makes the least amount of noise? Regular pumps just hum, and my MH pump rattles. Are all of our pumps rattlers?
Have you had a look to see how it's it's mounted, what it's mounted too, if the intake and outlet lines are made of a soft material, or if something is laying on it?

There's also the possibility it has an internal problem. Parts are generally pretty easy to get, so if that's the case, they're pretty easy to fix.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
There's a kit you can get on Amazon or elsewhere that has two roughly three foot lengths of hose that you add on the intake and output sides in loops. This really helps quiet the noise.

As far as quiet pumps go, I've been through three now and all the advertising verbiage is just BS - none have been any quieter than the other.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #11

Both our Trailers water pumps would wake everyone, I added about 18" of hose to the output side of the pump, worked like a charm. you need to stop the vibration from the hose coming out from the pump, adding extra hose seems to work.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #12

You can often reduce the pump noise by mounting the pump to a piece of 1x? wood with rubber mounts, and then mount the wood with a second set of rubber mounts.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #13

I had the wall panel off mine the other day after it took longer than I thought it should take to prime. I plan on adding some sound deadening material like dynamat to the back side of the panel, maybe in the cavity area also. Currently it's just a very thin piece of plywood. I am sure some coaches are better built than mine, but this should help.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #14

The OEM hose is hard as nails and about 12" long, so a replacement is an easy attempt to quiet the unit. First research shows that the HD or Lowes supply line hoses are a smaller ID than what the pump has on it now. I'm going to do more research and may end up building a hose that I want out of softer tubing.

Mounting the unit is another good try, and I'll do that before the next trip as well.

My wet bay can't hold an expansion tank due to space limitations. My question is whether mounting the tank anywhere in the system will work as well as mounting it close to the pump? The bathroom cabinets have ample room.

Tags
water, water pump