Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #15
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Will the slide glide over the tiles? Some slides have rollers where they travel over tiles. There are comments and photos on other posts regarding this problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
Will the slide glide over the tiles? Some slides have rollers where they travel over tiles. There are comments and photos on other posts regarding this problem.

The slide in the LR raises up as it retracts and does not touch the carpet, so it would not mar the tile. I haven't checked the kitchen slide but I don't think it touches the ceramic tile that's there now.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #17

tile problems

I put in an allure floor from home depot, in our mh and like it a lot.
First had to remove the original ceramic tile. Some of my tile had cracked because water came in in two places --The fridge and a leak at the belt line. So first try to figure out if you have had any water creeping in from any source. What happens is the oriented strand subflooring expands just like a dried sponge, lifting the tiles slightly on one side or a corner, then you either step on the tile or a chair or dropped objet cracks or even stars one or more tiles. In my case I couldn't find a suitable match to make repairs with so I took on the job of complete replacement.
Again I used a tile from the hd and the brand name was allure. I had choices of patterns that looked like tile , slate, stone or it can look like wood. Take your pick. We found a pattern that looked like state-- making this substitute materiel look similar to what we removed so I reason that in the future if I need to sell my mh it won't look out of place.

This allure product has stick attachment feature which sticks these composition tiles to each other forming a continuous sheet but is not stuck to the floor its self. We have found that it is quieter, warmer to bare feet on a cold day. Also found that things when dropped don't so readily break as when on ceramic tile.
Putting it down I bought a thin plywood underlayment to put down first, then the allure over that. I removed the trim that hopefully you have at the base of all your cabinets and walls. My old ceramic tile was down with industrial glue that I could soften with a heat gun. I could then very carefully and gently pry the tile up often in one piece. This made removal fairly easy.
So once all your flooring is down, I then reinstalled the trim I earlier removed , finishing the job. As I said earlier it's warmer in the winter, quieter to walk on. If you found a place you could work on this a while then you can do this but you need to be able not to have to hurry -- think I spread this out over a week, probably averaged 4-5 hours a day.
Hope this helps a bit.
Loren
Old 06-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Loren! I appreciate all the suggestions since this is a first for me AND for the guy who will be installing it! He's been doing tile and carpet for a long time but has never done a MH!

Old 06-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Thanks Ernie! I'm glad to hear that you think $600 is a good price for the job. This guy has never done a MH so after this one he may not want to do another one!
My friend was quoted $7000 to do the living room area of his Diplomat. Did not include driver/passenger area. I would be very leary of anyone that would quote $600 to remove old flooring and install new flooring on my little motorhome. I did it and it took over 40 hours of hard work to do the project.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
My friend was quoted $7000 to do the living room area of his Diplomat. Did not include driver/passenger area. I would be very leary of anyone that would quote $600 to remove old flooring and install new flooring on my little motorhome. I did it and it took over 40 hours of hard work to do the project.

He obviously doesn't know what he's getting into. Should I feel guilty about giving him the job?

I will try to help him all I can, especially getting the old stuff out. Maybe that way I won't feel so bad!

Old 06-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
7 grand for a living room is price gouging. hope your friend didn't throw his money away
Old 06-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #22

if your installer has been around for a while, he should know that removing tile over concrete and wood are 2 different scenarios
Old 06-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
7 grand for a living room is price gouging. hope your friend didn't throw his money away
Nope, him and I are doing it. It's about 90% done. It has been a lot of work. But it sure looks good. He purchased all the same products that Monaco claims they used to install original tiles. Not easy stuff to work with.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #24

a lot of work. believe me, I know about that
Old 06-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
I did peel & stick in my house - big mistake. It tended to creep and leave some gaps between some of the tiles. I can only imagine what it would have don in my motorhome. Definitely use a mastic to lay the tile.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #26

Joe,
Do you know if the tile in your mh was put down with thin set (which is very tough) or an industrial glue as in my older mh? If you have thin set this will be a very tough removal. I imagine your contractor is probably estimating based on a thin set glue used on your tile, since that's normal in houses. Guess I'd advise you to understand what his estimate is based on. Hope he's the kind of guy that will not give one price and then say he has to have much more after he gets into it-- that's where you may save yourself some grief by making sure this guy knows what he's doing. Don't think it hurts to ask him what he understand the job to be. Sort of like you though, and he thinks and the thought you thought meant something else-- those kind of misunderstanding are expensive!
So hope you can make yourself some good luck!
Loren
Old 06-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Rice View Post
Joe,
Do you know if the tile in your mh was put down with thin set (which is very tough) or an industrial glue as in my older mh? If you have thin set this will be a very tough removal. I imagine your contractor is probably estimating based on a thin set glue used on your tile, since that's normal in houses. Guess I'd advise you to understand what his estimate is based on. Hope he's the kind of guy that will not give one price and then say he has to have much more after he gets into it-- that's where you may save yourself some grief by making sure this guy knows what he's doing. Don't think it hurts to ask him what he understand the job to be. Sort of like you though, and he thinks and the thought you thought meant something else-- those kind of misunderstanding are expensive!
So hope you can make yourself some good luck!
Loren
Believe me, there will be a definite price agreed on with no room for changes before we start the job!

Old 06-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #28

when I do flooring in any coach, I always tell the clients that nobody knows what shape the subfloor will be once the old material is removed. I had a Monaco Signature that had extensive floor rot that had to be repaired. There is no way that showed till old material was removed and the client was charged accordingly and was there to witness the removal, the reconstruction and the new installation.
This business is different with every coach.