Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
doc

Appalachian Campers
I expect we will RV as long as it is fun. At what age? No idea, but I am still in pretty good shape physically. I do 800 mile days now with my p/t job in a roll back auto hauler and that is getting to be a task that takes me a couple of days to get over. Don't believe I would want to do 800 in the MH. And don't have to!!

We ran into a couple a few years back (before Katrina) in Gulfport and the husband was in his 90's. They were in a 36 or 38 Adventurer and still having fun.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
I don't mean to be a wet blanket or anything, but everyone's ability to drive a motorhome decreases with age. Some lose it earlier, some later. But we all must accept the fact that eventually we won't be able to drive like we used to, or like we do now. I hope my life isn't totally over when that time comes. I look forward to sitting in my rocking chair and discussing with DW all the good times we had.

Now, for the point of my post. My mother insisted on driving until the day she died. Although they didn't pry the wheel out of her cold dead hands, they did pry the door and dashboard off her cold dead body. They took her car on a flatbed tow truck to the fire station so they could open the road up, since the extrication was going to be so time consuming. Accidents happen when you don't realize you are driving the wrong way on the highway and hit a big truck. Mom was 77. Just something to think about. Be safe, know when to say when.
So very true. Too many people fail to recognize when they are unfit for driving a motor vehicle. My mother is 89 1/2, and just announced she will be selling her car because she does not feel she can drive safely in today's traffic conditions. I hope I have the ability to recognize when it's time for me to stop driving. I already know my reflexes are much slower than 10 years ago.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #17

ditto on when I am dead
Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All I know is that it won't be today and I don't have any plans to give up tomorrow. Who knows what the future has in store, so I just take and enjoy life one day at a time. P.S. I was just contemplating doing some winter camping over this New Years weekend and this post helped nudge me along - Thank you.
tomwalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Ran into a guy that just had bought a new coach and he was 90. Saw him a few years later and e had just bought another new coach.

I plan to last longer than him.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
I am 7 safe any more2 now have been Rving forabout 40 years and tent camped before that. Have had everything from small Pop up to 34 ft 5er and pulled it with a f350 western hauler conversion. Just traded it for our first class A plan on going until I feel that I am not safe anymore and will park it in the boonies some where close where the kids or wife can drive to and dump me.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know what age, I guess when it stops being fun. Or when they take my DL away.
My dad gave up his DL when he was 90, about 6 or 7 years ago. Hope its still fun when I reach that age........
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
What Age Do You Plan to Give Up Rving......

Actually, Never. However, when I cannot drive the rig safely anymore, I will most likely get rid of the coach and replace it with the largest 5ver I can find and set it up on a site with no plans to move it.

I've been full-timing for over 9 years now and have no end or date in sight.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #23
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Bay Star is for Sale, but I'll not give up the DL. I'm getting a little too old and want to stop RVing. It hurts here and there, and I get too easy upset about all those rules and etc.....and making oil companies rich!!!
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I debated long before entering this thread.. I know a lot of people, folks I've met at one time or another in my travels, and there are two things.

First: We all age at different rates, I know folks who at 40 are "older" than I am (I'm sixty) and folks who at 70 are younger. Myself, I'd like to spend enough time in this motor home to pay off the loan If not longer. (30 year loan bought six years ago)

Likewise, some of us are sharper at 6o or 70 or 80 (or more) than others are at far younger ages.. This may be due to a medical condition (Senile dementia) or due to a medical condition (Elbow Disease.. that's where it keeps bending and lifting a glass of Alcohol to the victim's lips killing off his brain cells) or it may be due to another drug issue (Yes alcohol is a drug).. Since I never developed a taste for booze... (I have nothign against moderate drinking, I just flat don't like it.. or Lima Beans either, thus I avoid both of those products.. I will not Suffer Succotash if I can help it (Sorry Sylvester)).

The bottom line is ... The age at which we need to put it in PARK for good, Varies from person to person.. One can only hope they are sharp enough to know when it arrives.

A few weeks ago, in the park where I'm currently parked.. There was, yes, past tense, a woman MY AGE almost to the day She woke up with a headache, Very bad one, EMS was called and hauled her to the local bed and body shop (Hospital) where they decided to air lift her to a better one some 20 miles distant..... She did not make it that far, Dead on Arrivial at the larger hospital.

She was in apparent perfect health the day before.. Kind of scary. (Yes I know what killed her, but I'm not sure how to spell cranial annurasium, perhaps speil clunk will fix it.. Well, half of it)
Old 12-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=wa8yxm;1046240]I debated long before entering this thread.. I know a lot of people, folks I've met at one time or another in my travels, and there are two things.

Likewise, some of us are sharper at 6o or 70 or 80 (or more) than others are at far younger ages.. This may be due to a medical condition (Senile dementia) or due to a medical condition (Elbow Disease.. that's where it keeps bending and lifting a glass of Alcohol to the victim's lips killing off his brain cells) or it may be due to another drug issue (Yes alcohol is a drug).. Since I never developed a taste for booze... (I have nothign against moderate drinking, I just flat don't like it.. or Lima Beans either, thus I avoid both of those products.. I will not Suffer Succotash if I can help it (Sorry Sylvester)).

Never.....Never........
I LOVE ham and mfs... lima beans!
Happy New Year!!
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
I thought I already answered this, but must have been a different thread, maybe even a different forum, because I can see I did not answer this one yet.

I am a fulltimer. I live in the rv fulltime so no house to go back to. If it ever happens that I become too old to drive, I will buy a lot and park the MH and continue to live in it, so I'll still be a fulltimer, because I will still be living in an rv.

But than your question seems to imply that because I am a fulltimer I must therefor also be driving and traveling to begin with. Of course I would have to actually START traveling in order to stop traveling, right? In 40 years I've hardly left town, let alone the state. I'm content to park in one spot and stay there, I'm not big on traveling. Than again - seeing as I already AM parked on a lot and not traveling, I won't have to wait until I am too old to drive before I get a lot and park on it, seeing as I'm already parked.

NOTE: Fulltiming means living in a RV fulltime and has ABSOLUTLY NOTHING to do with traveling. Thus why you hear the term Fulltimers and also the term Traveling Fulltimers or Fulltime Travelers. Fulltimers are people living in rvs fulltime, while traveling fulltimers are people who live in an rv fulltime while traveling.

(Not to be confused with Travellers - 2 "L"s- which is a race of people, usually Irish, many times Scottish, and sometimes Welsh. I am a Scottish Traveller by race, but have never physically traveled, as I was born and raised on a farm, where I still live today, fulltime in an RV which I do not travel in.)

In other words you can be a fulltimer and not travel, or you can be a fulltimer and travel none stop or anything in between. Traveling fulltime is not the same as fulltime RVing. There are people who travel fulltime on bikes, in cars, in 18-wheelers - they are also fulltime travelers yet they are not fulltime RVers.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
I already have the next stepped planned. When I get to the point I no longer want to or am not able to drive the coach, I will park it in a class A resort where I have purchased a lot. There is a lot to do in the area and I'm sure I will not be bored. Selling the coach is out of the question. I continue to model the coach so it fits my needs. There would be no reason to sell it as the coach would just become a "cottage" for use when appropriate.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At what age I can't even guess at this time. Ive spoken with people that say around 70 or so but then you see people past 80 still doing it. My FIL for one is 87 and still operates his 37' Bounder. I seriously haven't seen him make any bad decisions and I only hope I'm as spry as he is at that age. I do think down the road we will probably cut down maybe to a "B" and at least still be able to travel.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving