Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
What am I doing wrong????

I had a cheap TT and there would be sewage that leaked every time I took the cap off. I thought it was just my cheap TT. Now, we have a class A Winnebago and same thing. I have a clear elbow and I make sure the tank is drained and I make sure the valve is closed. But every time we go to hook up again and remove the cap, a good amount of stinky sewage leaks out. What am I doing wrong?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #2

Try opening and closing the blade 2-3 times firmly when you are done dumping. It seems to seat the valve better.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #3

Your dump valve is leaking a couple of possibilities, the big O ring gaskets on each side of the slide are worn out or something is in the way of it fully closing. Either way is not good complete valves are cheap around $15.00. Your valve must be inspected that means getting your hands dirty. There are some simple technics of installing new valves. Do not throw ANYTHING but human waste and biodegradable toilet paper. Absolutely no feminine products if so that's your problem.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #4

Andrea,

If your coach is like every other RV on the road, there is considerable "hang up" in the dump plumbing. This won't matter if the coach never moves, but as soon as you take it out on the road and shake it up, all that "hung up" un-hangs.

So, what can you do about the sewer surprise????
First! - Wait until there is not long line at the dump.
Dump the black tank.
Close the valve.
Put 5+/- gallons in the tank and dump again.
This may take several tries to come out sort of clear.

Other answer..
Get a flushing elbow that lets you shoot clean water up the dump pipe.

Lastly, if none of this works, you may have a leaky dump valve. Unless it is and old Thetford (white) valve replacements are not expensive. Changing it and staying clean is kind of a trick. That would start with doing the flush described above.

Matt
Old 07-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Guess I'm lucky, the only time I've had a problem was after a member of our private club decided to open the dump valve and leave it. He did it to us twice, then I started keeping the wet bay locked. He pulled some other things on others so he's no longer a member either!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
My RV is brand new, this is only my third trip. Looks like I will have to take it to the dealer to check it out. It's just weird because the other one leaked the same way from day one. This trip we have full hookup so I plan to flush a lot of water through after the first drain.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd520 View Post
Try opening and closing the blade 2-3 times firmly when you are done dumping. It seems to seat the valve better.

I will try this!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #8

Mine used to drip a little. Probably whatever was left in the line after dumping. Your valve seals are probably bad and need replacing. I bought an auxiliary valve that attached to the end pipe. That allows for a little more drip security. Yo can get them at many RV stores.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:00 PM   #9

You might want to get into the habit of dumping and leave the valve open. Then add a bucket or two of water in the toilet and let it drain through to the sewer.

I'm thinking that toilet paper is getting stuck in the valve grooves. Are you using a heavy-duty double or triple-ply paper? Maybe what you're using is not breaking down as it should. Perhaps switching to a thinner paper would dissolve better and empty better.

Another thought is that you're not using as much water when flushing as you should so there's not enough liquid when you want to dump. Then 'stuff' gets caught in the valve grooves. Water is your friend when dealing with the blackwater tank!

It is strange that your previous RV did this and now your new one does, also.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:58 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"azkunk".....When a coach is new, often debris, during the building process can end up in the tank. Your drain valve is just a slot with a flat plate sliding back and forth between two rubber o-rings. Often, when you push the handle in, closing the valve, you can push debris back into the slot, now allowing the plate to seal all the way. Every so often, when a valve leaks, it's either worn out or has debris in it, preventing the plate from closing. In your case, probably some debris, possibly even a wood screw.

Drain and clean the tank, open the valve and then use a small tool to clean out the slot between the two seals.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
Mine used to drip a little. Probably whatever was left in the line after dumping. Your valve seals are probably bad and need replacing. I bought an auxiliary valve that attached to the end pipe. That allows for a little more drip security. Yo can get them at many RV stores.
^^^This.

My valves were leaking when shut and I rebuilt both of them with new seals each time. Couldn't get it to seal.

Finally got tired pf fighting it and bought this.
Works great, cheap and easy to replace when if it starts leaking again.
Twist on Waste Valve RV Black Gray Tank camper Travel Trailer motorhome Valterra | eBay
Old 07-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You might want to get into the habit of dumping and leave the valve open. Then add a bucket or two of water in the toilet and let it drain through to the sewer.

I'm thinking that toilet paper is getting stuck in the valve grooves. Are you using a heavy-duty double or triple-ply paper? Maybe what you're using is not breaking down as it should. Perhaps switching to a thinner paper would dissolve better and empty better.

Another thought is that you're not using as much water when flushing as you should so there's not enough liquid when you want to dump. Then 'stuff' gets caught in the valve grooves. Water is your friend when dealing with the blackwater tank!

It is strange that your previous RV did this and now your new one does, also.

We only use RV paper so maybe it's the water. We only take short trips and do no get the tank too full. I will try LOTS of water this trip.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
^^^This.

My valves were leaking when shut and I rebuilt both of them with new seals each time. Couldn't get it to seal.

Finally got tired pf fighting it and bought this.

Works great, cheap and easy to replace when if it starts leaking again.

Twist on Waste Valve RV Black Gray Tank camper Travel Trailer motorhome Valterra | eBay

Thanks for the link. I will check that out.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:16 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkunk View Post
... maybe it's the water. We only take short trips and do no get the tank too full. I will try LOTS of water this trip.
Sounds like this might be the key. Plenty of water is essential, not just in the emptying and rinsing process, but from the start, with every use of the toilet. Even after emptying the tank you should immediately add several gallons of water, then use plenty with each flush.

The 1.6 gallon per flush conservation standard doesn't work very well in residential toilets, and it's an invitation to disaster in an RV. There's a time and a place to be conscious of water conservation, but it's not in your RV toilet.

Let us know how things work out!

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote