Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #29

We have been F/T for over a year.
We packed what we thought we would need. Just unloaded about 150 lbs of stuff that had not been used at all. We probably still have more than "what we aint got, we don't need". It is about weight and space, and we now have less and more of those.
We fretted about things that could go wrong. They didn't. The unanticipated stuff happened, but nothing serious.
We became more relaxed as time went on, knowing there would be problems, but now worrying about them.
It is just a small house that hits about 5 on the Richter Scale once in a while, that employs simple tools from time to time.
F/T means not having to put your hands on evil things, like lawn mowers and snow shovels. It means less worries, like "oh, crap it rained and I needed to mow".

Relax with it. Make the journey your destination. It's much more fun that way!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To Bama Fan;
I am in Fl., but spend lots of time outside Birmingham, Al. Usually at Cherokee RV Resort in Helena, Ala. Billy, the manager of the campgrnd knows a couple of mobile RV mechs that come to his campgrnd to do repair for people.
John B.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
The biggest problem is getting repair service when on the road. If you have a home then you will have some place that you go to all the time But when you full-time and are in a new area all the time it is hard to get good service. How many times have you had a problem and got the local RV repair man to fix it. Then two days latter when you are a couple of hundred of miles away you find out that it was not fixed at all. This happened three times with HWH jack problems. And it was with repair men that were listed by HWH.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #32

This sounds like a perfect opportunity for a cell phone app. Allowing people to up load RV service stations or mobile service techs that are available and rated by actual users. Placed by location and maybe area of expertise. ie diesel mech, Gas engines, RV appliances, fiberglass body repair, so on.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr John View Post
To Bama Fan;
I am in Fl., but spend lots of time outside Birmingham, Al. Usually at Cherokee RV Resort in Helena, Ala. Billy, the manager of the campgrnd knows a couple of mobile RV mechs that come to his campgrnd to do repair for people.
John B.
Thanks for the info. I'll certainly make a note of that!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
This sounds like a perfect opportunity for a cell phone app. Allowing people to up load RV service stations or mobile service techs that are available and rated by actual users. Placed by location and maybe area of expertise. ie diesel mech, Gas engines, RV appliances, fiberglass body repair, so on.
We've used the "AllStays" app for the last two years and I've noticed that it is improving. RV dealers are listed, but like you suggest, more detail is needed to increase information on specific repair facilities. I'd be happy to provide the developers of "AllStays" with my list of reliable repair shops, but to make the app worthwhile, it would need input from thousands of other RVers. Thinking about this logically, I'm seeing that an app could get clogged up with "dots" on the map if it includes all that info.

Maybe it best to just park beside a guy who has converted a bus himself. Those guys carry a ton of tools, repair parts, and of course have a "can do" ability to fix stuff.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
The main dashboard display on our Itasca (with Freightliner Chassis) has a departure checklist as an integrated function. It is not customizable, but I just ignore the few items that don't apply to our particular rig. It is very easy to scroll through as the engine warms up.
2013 now allows the list to be customized. I had a list in my previous mh that we did not use, it wasn't in a place we would see it when breaking camp. The dash info center on the freightliner is visible when you sit in the drivers seat and prepare to depart. I find myself checking it before I check my engine readings after startup.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #36

We are both retired and my wife is a home body. She is good to go for about 2 weeks at the most and then she wants to be back home. We did do a 2 month + trip a couple of years ago to Canada, and really enjoyed it. But towards the end my wife was really getting anxious to get home. After she is home for a few weeks she is ready to go again. For me though, I would rather just go and not have the stick and brick but that is the way it is.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Not having enough time to use the MH more!!
Same here...the D/W wants to be home for every little event the kids/Gkids are involved in.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
We are both retired and my wife is a home body. She is good to go for about 2 weeks at the most and then she wants to be back home.....
Man, I can relate to that. A long time in the MH for DW is about 2 weeks, and for me it's 2 months, or more. This summer, the dogs and I will be spending some time in the high country where it's cool. Sure hope she elects to visit at times...!
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #39

As weird as this may sound, my biggest downfall to full timing is WIND. I hate wind with all my might. Driving, or parked. I feel like the motorhome will tip over or whatever.

My second downfall is traveling, don't get me wrong here. I love a new view, and new towns and campgrounds, I just hate getting there. I have a massive fear of cliffs. I'm kinda like Mr T in that one 80s show, he loved his job, but hated flying. Remember his buddies would knock him out before he boarded the plane? Lol, wish I could just doze away while DH drives. But no, I'm wide awake freaking out the whole trip.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:18 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
As weird as this may sound, my biggest downfall to full timing is WIND. I hate wind with all my might. Driving, or parked. I feel like the motorhome will tip over or whatever.

My second downfall is traveling, don't get me wrong here. I love a new view, and new towns and campgrounds, I just hate getting there. I have a massive fear of cliffs. I'm kinda like Mr T in that one 80s show, he loved his job, but hated flying. Remember his buddies would knock him out before he boarded the plane? Lol, wish I could just doze away while DH drives. But no, I'm wide awake freaking out the whole trip.
CorLynn, I can relate. Wind doesn't bother me so much but I certainly understand about the cliff thing. And it seems that the taller the rig... the worse it is.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieharder View Post
Right now my biggest problem is still working and using my RV for what little vacation time we get. So many places we want to see, so little time to do it in. Don't get to retire for another 12.5 years. *sigh*
My pat answer for that problem is always "all ya got to be to retire is to be old" Looking back on that it always seems it got here way to fast!
Old 05-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #42

I agree with someone who noted the fact you almost always have to travel somewhere to find someone to work on either the mechanical or coach problems one might encounter.

Recommendations for service places would be a great help to those on the road. I have just traveled around 300 miles with faulty turn signals and am still searching for a cure.