Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #1

Thumbs up What are the biggest problems you face as an RVer? All input appreciated.

Hello everyone, I'm Branndon, a fairly new fulltimer, web developer and software creator. I'm beginning to find things out by living in an RV that I didn't think about before, such as how hard finding good wifi, or dump stations can be.

What are the negatives you face related to traveling in an RV? It doesn't have to be fulltiming, it could be just regular outings.

I'd like to create a tool for myself (and possibly for sale if there is interest) to help fix most of these issues.

This is the short list, but please, share the negatives you have related to traveling often in your RV, and if I can, I'll try to create a solution. If you have a solution in mind, let me know!

I'll start, here are some of the things I've figured out so far.
  • Expenses can get out of hand quickly unless they are documented well.
  • Finding local events based on my interests.
  • Forgetting crucial steps when arriving or departing.
  • Remembering people's names and locations that I've met.
  • Letting family know when I arrive, and depart.
  • Organizing things like favorite sites and destinations around campground for future use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not having enough time to use the MH more!!

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:51 AM   #3

RV

Not being able to stop to look at something or eat at a particular place due to lack of parking a rv.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not thinking about work (problems) while I'm in it.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #5

The negatives? The lack of space in general. After a few rainy days an RV can get a bit claustrophobic. CGs that don't have full hookups. We love state parks and COEs due to the forested large spaces, but no sewer at the sites. :( DH refuses to haul the BlueBoy (sewer tank) anymore. The lack of family and friends to go camping with. That's a biggie. My husband isn't into the type camping I am so I either sit inside with him, bored, and read or watch TV, or sit outside alone watching the sun go down. People aren't as friendly as they were back in the 70s so just walking into someone's campsite and being welcome doesn't happen much anymore. Another negative is I do all the cleaning and it's hardly worth going camping for a few days when almost an entire day is spent, when we get back home, cleaning the RV, changing the beds, wiping out the fridge, etc.

I still find more positives than negatives and that's why we're still RVing and snow-birding. Sadly, I don't believe my DHs heart is in it.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My wife will tell you, lack of a bath tub. I'd say, you can't just call a plumber, electrician, A/C man, etc, like you can for your stick and brick. You have to travel to get any problem you can't take care of yourself dealt with. Depending on where you are it might be minutes or days away to reliable help.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #7

Not having a place to keep it at home, thus having to find secure storage during times of inactivity.

Being ready to move it on a short notice during hurricane season here in Florida.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Not having enough time to use the MH more!!
Ability to freeze time. Check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
Not being able to stop to look at something or eat at a particular place due to lack of parking a rv.
RV Parking finder? Seems possible, but tricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrobinryan View Post
Not thinking about work (problems) while I'm in it.
Meditation? Hmmm.... an application that makes you forget anything your stressing about? I would be a millionaire, but alas, I don't think I can help, unless I included a game of pong in the application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
The negatives? The lack of space in general. After a few rainy days an RV can get a bit claustrophobic. CGs that don't have full hookups. We love state parks and COEs due to the forested large spaces, but no sewer at the sites. :( DH refuses to haul the BlueBoy (sewer tank) anymore. The lack of family and friends to go camping with. That's a biggie. My husband isn't into the type camping I am so I either sit inside with him, bored, and read or watch TV, or sit outside alone watching the sun go down. People aren't as friendly as they were back in the 70s so just walking into someone's campsite and being welcome doesn't happen much anymore. Another negative is I do all the cleaning and it's hardly worth going camping for a few days when almost an entire day is spent, when we get back home, cleaning the RV, changing the beds, wiping out the fridge, etc.

I still find more positives than negatives and that's why we're still RVing and snow-birding. Sadly, I don't believe my DHs heart is in it.
Space, can't really help other than some sort of database where you can write down where you stored things, like (pocket knife = under socks).

Campgrounds with specific features, that's a great idea, and one I have thought of before.

Lack of friends and family to campy with.... some sort of calendar you can send out to friends and family with your schedule so they can meet up?

I agree about the friendliness.

Cleaning... again, no ideas are springing up in my head other than a list of which order to clean in, this could speed up the process and make sure you don't forget anything.

about your DH... I hope he comes around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
My wife will tell you, lack of a bath tub. I'd say, you can't just call a plumber, electrician, A/C man, etc, like you can for your stick and brick. You have to travel to get any problem you can't take care of yourself dealt with. Depending on where you are it might be minutes or days away to reliable help.
So a database/list of repair places? Are you open to home RV Mechanics putting their own info on the list, or only professional shops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Not having a place to keep it at home, thus having to find secure storage during times of inactivity.

Being ready to move it on a short notice during hurricane season here in Florida.
A map of the closest storage facilities based on your computers location might be good, but hard to keep current. I like it though.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #9

"Forgetting crucial steps when arriving or departing."

That's why I use a checklist and post-it notes on important items, like checking the tag axle pressure (dog sometimes steps on button), by the slide button (to insure that I've checked braces, drivers seat, and turned propane on and off).

There is no down side to the RV life style.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #10

Lots of great items.
-I would echo not having enough free time or budget to go as much as we want.
-Finding a decent parking place to stop and eat at a restaurant or a gas station that's easy to get in and out of can be a pain at times.
-I'm really anal about all my stuff and I don't have a great place to park my trailer to keep it protected from the weather.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have plenty of time as we FT. The biggest problem is convincing myself to take it easy and lounge a little more. Right now the wife is still working (until end of Sept.) so I sometimes get bored waiting for her to get home. Otherwise, no problems so far.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not having really comfortable furniture or a bathtub. We are still considering removing the Flexsteel sofa and installing some La-z-boy stuff.

Also annoying to have to pay for storage across town, but that's an HOA thing.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hmmm, I'm guessing you'll get a lot of input here but many will not read your post carefully and see you are asking for ideas for a software solution to RV issues. My biggest RV issue is that my wife won't let me buy a bigger one! But, I doubt you could create a software solution for that problem!

So, here's one for you. Getting any RV underway successfully requires completing a number of steps of varying importance. Some are critical and not accomplishing them can cause damage or worse. An application that could trap some of these critical errors would be helpful. The challenge is coming up with something other than just one more checklist that nobody uses. Ideally, all the critical items would be monitored in some way and would automatically create a "green board" once they were placed in travel mode. Creating such an architecture across the wide variety of types and models of RVs would be very difficult.

That said, if you could create something that would automatically clean the windshield before and after every trip you'd get my dollar!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #14

Having a secure place to confidently store my gun and other valuables.