Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Talking What are your BEAR (four legged) stories?

Okay, I'm admittedly not a fan of bears, terrified of them more likely, it's a problem on which end of the food chain I'm on

I used to camp and hike when I was younger and love the outdoors but in no way do I want to do that now, hence my pursuit of the RV. However, I'm still concerned about camp sites and maybe doing some short hikes and whatnot with my yellow lab best buddy. I've already ordered bear spray before even taking delivery on my RV coming in June.

What are your wonderful bear stories to keep me up at night? Ever had one try to get into your RV?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #2

Many areas of Wyoming, Thermopolis to Montana line, more than a few bears (grizzly). Some areas in and around Yellowstone require " Hard sided RV's"! If concerned, you'll sleep better at night. We've had them in and around camp several times. If your in an actual campground, they are usually looking for food. Keep a clean camp, and they'll move on to someone else's camp! PS: In case of a bear encounter, train your dog to run"away from you, not back into your arms"! . memtb
memtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Not camping with, but avoiding, yes.

Wayback when, 1977, I rode my Kawasaki Z1 from Spokane to San Antonio via Yellowstone. While transiting Yellowstone I pulled up behind a line a line of cars (typical park traffic). Looking forward i saw that tourists were feeding a family of bears through their partially open windows.

When the food would run out, the bears would walk back to the next car in line. I quit pulling forward at that point. They, the tourists are in cages, I'm out in the open with nothing but a t-shirt for protection. I let the car ahead get about 50 feet ahead and when the bears started my way I nailed it. Three seconds later I was doing 70 MPH in a National Park and leaving the wildlife safely behind.

I have since ridden thru Yellowstone many more times, never had that problem again.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:54 AM   #4

And if you are out hiking, make sure you can outrun whoever is with you.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:20 AM   #5

We spend a lot of time in the Sierras, mostly the Mammoth Lake area, where Bears are a common factor and come into the CG's and even the city on a daily/nightly basis. When we use our small propane BBQ, at the end of the day we put it in the Bear Food Lockers located at each campsite just as a precaution. At one Full hookup CG, the Bear(s) came down during the night and ripped open the MH storage compartments on a few MH's, going after the smell of the BBQ.

If camped at a primitive spot, make sure that you keep all food stored in your MH/fridge and do not keep anything that is edible in your Toad(if you have one). They especially like toothpaste and candy and will rip open your car if they have enough time. We have been sitting out around a campfire at night and they come walking thru the camp. They have not bothered us but are looking for those who have left food out on the tables or in ice chests. They will not normally approach a fire.

We have hiked extensively thru the Sierras and have seen Bears several times while hiking. They really won't mess with you unless they have Cubs and you get too close, or you startle them. So while hiking if you see one in the distance, make a lot of noise and try to walk a different path. Don't try and sneak up on them to get that great photo shot, that is where most people get themselves into trouble.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
After working many years in the woods I have seen lots of bears. Mostly black bears. The biggest reason they become a problem is when they are scavenging for an easy meal. They would have a hay day at a logging camp garbage dump. If left alone they will avoid you more than you will avoid them.
If you get between them and food or a mother with cubs you will have a problem.
When hiking make lots of noise and while camping like said above keep your site clean and foods and garbage contained where a bear can not get at it. Bar b que's are a great bear attraction.
Grizzly bears are different in being a lot more unpredictable and you should be extremely careful in their territory. I would not trust bear spray or even a handgun or shot gun for that matter.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #7

slickest1, Around here, some of the hunting guides put electric fences around their campsites. But, that doesn't slow down a "determined" bear! memtb
Old 03-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #8

NealC, Are ya start'n to feel "warm-n-fuzzy" yet? In all sincerity, lightening strike is much more to be feared. A little caution and common sense, will carry you thru most anything! Oh, and a close personal relationship with God!! memtb
Old 03-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by memtb View Post
NealC, Are ya start'n to feel "warm-n-fuzzy" yet? In all sincerity, lightening strike is much more to be feared. A little caution and common sense, will carry you thru most anything! Oh, and a close personal relationship with God!! memtb
Haha, yeah, I'm sure bears go along with the turf with campgrounds and outdoors. I even ran up on one when taking a drive along skyline drive here in VA once. Got out of my car at an overlook to take pictures, heard some ruffling in the woods, I was halfway between the black bear and my car. Oh joy. It just wanted to eat, I just wanted to get back to my car! Well, I'm here so...
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #10

Tent camping in Yosemite Valley I was excited that a may see a bear. didnt see one until the first night. Walking to the bathroom one big black bear just strolled out like he just made a deposit we made eye contact being about 50 feet from each other, I went back to my tent he just walked through the park. The only thing that kept going through my head was those signs saying Black Bears my weigh up to 300 pounds, yeh right. more like 500. he was not alone. another Bear was in the north section of the park. if you want to see bears that's the place. And if your lucky they may wake you up. the park rangers set traps for them and ship them to other locations away from the camp sites
sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Around me we have a saying- "How to tell between Black Bear and Grizzly [mod edit] Grizzly has little bells in it"!
Also bear spray is a GREAT spice!
3 of my workmates were hunting Black Bears one Spring. They came back to camp (TT pulled by an '84 Bronco) and a bear had opened up the windshield (ripped it open and in 1/2) , ate some bacon and 1 moccasin was missing. Pretty much destroyed the inside of the Bronco, and they had a cool drive home with NO bear!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #12

Neal, one last thing, before I actually go and do something productive. If ALL of the preventive measures fail, the best way to "STOP" a charging bear is, "Take it's credit card"!
Best Wishes and Happy Trails, memtb
Old 03-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #13

I've encountered many bears over the years. So far, they have all run away from me.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:17 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
A second guy was killed here in Montana riping down hill on his bike. Went around a corner right into a griz. The griz walked away. He's dead.
djnott is offline   Reply With Quote