Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
What Campground Finder Book?

We need to get a Campground book to help us plan our trips and where we can stop/stay. What do you folks like?

2014 Keystone Bullet 22RBPR
2005 GMC Envoy Denali
johnnyringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Thor Owners Club
We use the Passport America website and Iphone app. There are also sites like Good Sam and KOA that will help you plan your trip. The best paper book IMO is the Trailer Life directory and RV Road Atlas both available at Camping World and I believe there are others available at CW also ..
.Peace and Safe Travels..D

Dickson and Tracy
2016 Thor Windsport 31S
2015 Fusion Titanium Hybrid
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Trailer Life Directory and the Woodalls and the Good Sams are all part of Affinity Group. So your guess is as good as mine. The Woodalls also has regional directories.
My suggestion is if you carry your Laptop computer with see if you can get either one of them on CD otherwise you will be carrying 20 pounds of paper in your RV

Go to Wal-Mart and buy one of their Road Atlases it has Good Sam's Campgrounds and Cracker Barrel, and I think Camping World locations oh and I think they include Wally World locations.

Good Luck
Remember "Without Truck's......America Stops" RVM129
"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the "Real Marines".
Major General Chesty Puller, USMC -
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Am not big on books but use computer software and websites to plan my trips. Goodsams, MS street and trips software along with passport America websites. I do use KOAs book sometimes.
wagon217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by wagon217 View Post
Am not big on books but use computer software and websites to plan my trips. Goodsams, MS street and trips software along with passport America websites. I do use KOAs book sometimes.
Ditto except for the KOA part.

I don't remember the last time we looked in a book for a CG. We'll begin by checking out rvparkreviews.com for parks near where we want to stay and then look at the parks web sites and read their reviews. We may even go to google earth and get a bird's eye view of the place and it's surroundings before deciding. Then, 90% of the time the campground is listed in our GPS so we push the button and we're set. We also usually do this on the fly and within a couple of hours of the CG. So many cool tech toys available now.

But, if you're set on using a book, I think Trailer Life is right up there.

Good luck.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
Trailer Life Directory, National Forest Camp Grounds directory, Passport America directory, Army Core of Engineers CG directory, Gypsy Journal free or almost free directory, Gypsy Journal Fairgrounds directory, Web site: Free or Almost Free CG's. Some small towns have a few spots in their parks, some with electric, and some of them have water and a dump.

I have used all of these and also just stumbled on CG's in small towns. I rarely make reservations. I do sometimes on major holidays.
Ralph & Snickers
2006 3500 Chevy Dually - 8.1 - Allison
2006 30' New Horizon - Solar
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Alpine Owners Club
I Second rvparkreviews.com. I look at maps to determine a route then figure out about where natural overnight stays are then look up reviews for parks in that area. This site is the best source of good information I've come accross.
'99 Alpine Coach
Jeff and Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We used paper books for years. We still refer to some that are years old on rare occasions. Even if we found one we would always check rvparkreviews first so now that is the first place we start to look for a place.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix) Formerly of Bellingham,WA'05 Winnebago Journey 36G. FL-XC, Cat 350, aero muffler, AFE filter, 4 FSD Koni's, ultra track bell, SafeT+, FMCA397030, WIT 129107
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by johnnyringo
We need to get a Campground book to help us plan our trips and where we can stop/stay. What do you folks like?
We downloaded a couple pubs on our iPad from the app store RVPARKING.COM, allstays CAMP AND RV, and NATIONAL PARKS. Also downloaded TeleNav as the GPS. Having said all that ( and paid about 10 bucks for the apps) we have WOODALLS 5lbs book.

Good luck
Yondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back in 2008 we went to local Autoclub office and told them we would be doing a loop of US. They had a series of 8 or so books of camping in every state. It was free and very useful.

2004 Monaco Monarch
Blueox, SMI, 1990 Wrangler YJ
mfire1339 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We use the hard copies of TL Directory, Passport America and KOA (as a last resort), and check Woodalls on line...it's free.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
We completely stopped using books since we stay mostly at public campgrounds. What I do now is use:

PUBLIC CAMPGROUND FINDER (uscampgrounds.info)

to find my potential sites, and then

to see which one to pick
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trailer Life is my favorite. they are by far #1 in sales.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
As you can see from the posts, there is no one solution to finding a campground. Every book you purchase will have more or less than any other book. There is no "One-stop-shop."

RV Park Reviews is a very good source for determining the ratings for people who have stayed in a specific campground, but even it is limited to whoever has put in a review for that campground. There are missing campgrounds for cities in the RV Park Reviews. When ever I stay in one of the missing parks I add it to the RV Park Review web site.

I also like planning 90+ percent of the time. I basically know where I'm going next, and where I want to stop. So here is what I do (Beside looking at all those other books if I have the chance.)

I prefer http:/www.bing.com/maps but Yahoo maps can also be used. I like the "Birds Eye" view in Bing.

Open up the Bing map page. Once there you will see a fill in blank next to the blue Bing, and an orange search button at the end of the fill in. Put the name of the location that you think you will be stopping at and click the orange search button. You location will appear. Now, in that same fill-in area, back out any location you had in there and type in the word "RV Parks" without the quotes. You locations will be populated with RV Parks. You can use RV Park Reviews in a different tab to see what is said about and specific park, or in some cases reviews will be available through the "balloon" that marks the RV Park. You can zoom in and out and the map will change accordingly.

Also, you can now drag the map in any compass direction and the map will re-populate with RV Parks.

There are some quirks to this and it is based on whatever business has provided the search engine with it's requirements. So if you see a mobile home park, it may not have camping provisions, but it is in their provided search criteria. Also, sometimes you will see a state or county park office but there is no campground there. For the most part it is an easy way to look for a quick stop along the way. Of course, you do have to have internet access.

Happy trails. It's just another method.

Edited: Oh, you can also put in the words Mexican Restaurant, or Italian, or Chineese, or other key words, like campground, state park, national park, etc., and get some type result. Hopefully it is what you are looking for.

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote