Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What can I expect to happen when we pick up our Phaeton?

How does this process work? We hope to be ordering a new Phaeton from Vogt RV in Fort Worth around Oct or Nov. Time to deliver? Inspections? Orientation? Getting the nerve up to take it on the road by myself.
Pighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #2

Its not a vacation its an adventure. Have fun you will love it.
Take what they tell you on time and add a month to the delivery time, a week to the inspections, and a couple of days on orientation. If it happens ahead of schedule you will be much happier than if it happens behind.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
oct/nov you will miss a full summer of enjoyment
you will wake up the day after delivery and realize you just spent a bundle of dough that is about to return you with 5 bundles of enjoyment.
i would get several test drives in over the summer and research this forum daily it is a source of knowledge second to none
brianj
Old 04-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would also expect to encounter some jealous friends, I don't even know you and I'm jealous! Color me green with envy!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #5

Sounds like you haven't bought it yet, so go to your dealer and test drive one till you are a pro. Then when you sign on the dotted line you can be as proud as a new daddy. I would go to a close campground as a check out camp to learn about everything. If you are a first time owner there will be a lot of things to learn. Especially a coach that nice.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Go out with the sales person as a passenger and have him/her explain how to drive it and then you do it. I was at an RV dealer recently and he said that he sold an RV to a lady who said that she would not have a problem driving it. She apparently did not leave the lot slowly enough and lost control, drove across the street median and took out a stop sign. Slow wide turns are a must. Happy Trails with your new toy, Joe
Old 04-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #7

When you go to pick up your new coach, plan on spending the night in their parking lot. That evening, test everything you can, inspect the coach, and go thru the manuals. If you have any issues, questions, you can have them resolved the next day before you leave.

Set these expectations with the dealer before you pick up the coach.

Good luck (and nice coach!).
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #8

Tell them you want a full tank of diesel. We talked to two dealers one said "of course" the other said "25 gallons, that's our policy."
Old 04-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Personally, I would go to Red Bay and watch it being built. This will allow you to take pictures of the plumbing and wiring that will be hidden. I would also plan on staying at lest a week at the Tiffin campground in Red Bay to understand how things work and find out the things that need to be fixed.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #10

If you've never driven a big vehicle, consider a driving school (truck) its not like driving a Prius or Mercedes SL. Wide turns, using mirrors, backing up, stopping with air brakes are all different. Not difficult, just different.

NEVER drive faster than the recommended exit speeds or curve speeds, and probably 5 under the speed. In a Benz or BMW you can drive at twice the suggested limit but your RV will be in its side if you try that. Keep a lot of space between you and the vehicle in front of you, 4 to 5 seconds, use shadows or marks in the road to time yourself. Use the engine brake and the foot brake under 15 MPH, a brake job is expensive.

Practice backing up in a parking lot. Try to backup without the camera, its not that hard, thousands of truckers do it every day.

Its a lot of fun and don't let the size intimidate you. Always watch the height, assume 13' 6" and you'll always be OK. It might be less (13') but a low clearance is expensive and embarrasing. Trees on side streets can be a problem as can speed bumps, but if your tired or frustrated, pull over, your home.
puddinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Personally, I would go to Red Bay and watch it being built. This will allow you to take pictures of the plumbing and wiring that will be hidden. I would also plan on staying at lest a week at the Tiffin campground in Red Bay to understand how things work and find out the things that need to be fixed.
This is an excellent idea!!!
We went to Vogt and looked at a Zepher as a backup if we didn't like the Entegra, spoke with Colby Cannon, seemed like a great guy to deal with and their prices were right. Congrats!!
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:17 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Depending on if you are buying new or used, be prepared to extra time at pickup for them to fix all the items you find, as there will be some. Tiffin, I feel is probably one of the best new off the lot for having less intial issues, but they are still there. You do not want to leave without getting everything taken care of... and then, before you move too far away from the dealer, go out and camp close by for several days and continue to try out everything! You will probably find more that needs to be addressed and I would recommend going right back to the dealer and have it taken care of. You need to be prepared to spend a potential of considerable time, especially if new, nearby the dealer to get everything addressed.

If used, most of the time, the previous owner has had the fun of getting things taken care of and addressed.

But, most of all, enjoy the experience and learn all that you can (and must!)
Zbugsii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #13

Elkhartjim is correct. Plan some vacation time & go to Red Bay & watch it being built. You will never have another change to see where everything is. You will also have a change to meet Bob Tiffin & his sons. The Tiffin family is the real reason for Tiffin's success.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #14

Heartland RV Club
Check out Lazy Days, I was there last weekend picking up my new Winnie ,there were a bunch of Phaetons there ,don't be afraid to start a price war. even if you do not buy from Lazy Days you will get a better price from your dealer. I did

Tiffin Phaeton Motorhomes - 36 to choose from at Lazydays!
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote