Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What Credit Cards give gas discounts?

I was thinking about this and if there is a 4 or 5 percent kickback then it would be worth it. It would have to be good for any gas company/station for me to use it, not just with a single supplier.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #2

Ctcamper,

I cut and pasted this from another thread as your topic applies more and also added some info on a Stop & Shop promotion (assuming your in CT and might have one nearby):

FWIW we have a Shell MC which gives us 5% off on Shell and 1% off on other purchases. The credit is earned one billing cycle and automatically credited in the next billing cycle with a Shell gas purchase. So we do nothing to receive the credit. In FL we get the cash price if lower AND the 5%, but in SC I saw we paid the higher price for CC's even though the station was coded correctly as a Shell station. Still got the 5% though.

Stop & Shop promotion with Shell - you earn points at S&S and then when you buy gas at participating Shell stations, can save 10, 20, 30 or 40 cents a gallon. 100 points = 10 cents and the gas purchase limit is 35 gallons. The pump price is adjusted when you swipe the S&S card first, then continue.

Our Exxon/Mobil MC gives 15 cents per gallon on gas, 2% on other purchases and works almost the same. But it credits the amount in $10 increments.

Our third card for gas is the BP Visa card. Works similiar, but we need to earn $25 and then go online and request it. Several payment methods are offered, but we just get a BP gift card and use it at the pump or inside.

I am going to look into the AMEX that was mentioned, sounds like a good one to have when the above stations are not available.

Bob
Old 05-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you are able to get a card from Pentagon Fed CU, their card gives 5% gas discount at any station.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
If you are able to get a card from Pentagon Fed CU, their card gives 5% gas discount at any station.
Anyone can join Penfed - see link below.

Note that the 5% Visa card discount is for pay-at-the-pump only.

How to join Penfed CU

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
Everyone is eligible to join the Pentagon Federal Credit Union. This link lists the list of elegible groups/employers. At the bottom of the list is the line, "None of the above". If you select that, it shows two organizations that anyone can join for a one time fee of $15/20.

Enjoy.....
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
edj

Looking through the PenFed web site, it looks like the 'Visa Platinum Cashback Rewards Card' is the only one that gives a 5% rebate on gas purchases. They offer a LOT of different credit cards, but this is the only one that I could see that gave the gas rebate. Is this correct?
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
Looking through the PenFed web site, it looks like the 'Visa Platinum Cashback Rewards Card' is the only one that gives a 5% rebate on gas purchases. They offer a LOT of different credit cards, but this is the only one that I could see that gave the gas rebate. Is this correct?
Yes.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #8

I have Citi and Chase dividend rewards cards.
5% on gas, groceries, RX and 1% on all else. Up to $600.00 rebate each year on each. I have yet to hit the limit.
I do not leave home without them.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Citi just changed my Drivers Edge card to a Thank You rewards card

Looking for a replacement, my COSTCO AMEX pays 3%
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes, that is the one I have.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The PenFed Platinum Rewards card is great, the 5% rebate knocked about $60 off my gas bill last trip. No annual fee either. Best deal in town. (and out of town, too)
They used to give 2% back on grocery purchases, but not anymore, now 1%.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote