Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 04:25 PM   #15

We are only gone in the winter so I shut off the water and relieve the pressure. shut off the water heater. empty and shut off the fridge, put rv antifreeze in all the traps and toilets, don't forget the trap for the washing machine, and floor drains in the basement. turn the heat down to 55 degrees. Have a couple of lights on timers. Neighbor next door has a key, sometimes parks in the driveway. Friends across the street keep an eye on the front of the house. House behind us keeps an eye on the back of the house. all good..

HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #16

Relatives of my wife live with us. They watch over the house and forward our mail.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Turn off water
Turn off water heater
Summer time 85' Winter time 60'
Have a couple of lights inside on timers
Lock the doors and windows
Turn on the alarm
Let 2 responsible neighbors keep an eye on the place and have our phone numbers just in case.
Don't advertize you're gone in email, facebook, twitter or any of the other social media, period.
That resembles our checklist for buttoning up the house. We either have the post office hold our mail (their max is one month) or have it forwarded to a daughters, who then sends it to us(some is mail-order meds) as requested. We also close all interior doors, this helps in the event of a fire, to slow the fire spread and smoke damage. The lights we have on timers are now LED bulbs.
As to prowlers/burglers, my neighbors dog (Great Dane) is excellent at patrolling our property too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:54 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
For us, although budget considerations are valid, until you're paying someone for a particular service, you get what you pay for.

As an example, asking a neighbor/family member to collect and sort our mail falls well below their priority for collecting and sorting their mail. IF they have some sort of personal/family situation that necessitates them being gone for a period of time to attend to their personal issues, your mail quickly becomes a very low priority for them. They're NOT bad people. They just have different priorities than you.

So, we've defaulted to paying someone to "watch over" our needs while we're away. We do have trusted neighbors who have access to our home while we're gone. It's just that we don't "count" on them to do anything.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
So, we've defaulted to paying someone to "watch over" our needs while we're away. We do have trusted neighbors who have access to our home while we're gone. It's just that we don't "count" on them to do anything.
I am of a similar mind. For trips up to 2 weeks (the longest we have been gone so far), I hire a teenager to walk through each day, mow as need, get the mail, and pick up any packages or door hangers that show up. We will be gone longer though, and I am looking for someone to clean snow from the sidewalks and driveway (a harder job). What kind of company do you hire?
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post

What kind of company do you hire?
We started planning for this phase of our life about 10 years before I retired. We sold our old house and moved into a Del Webb community shortly before I retired. We wanted, and found, a home that we could pretty much turn out the lights, arm the alarm system, lock the door and be gone for months without worry. Lawn maintenance, snow removal, etc. is all taken care of.

When we're gone for just a few weeks, we'll just have the Post Office hold our mail. For longer times away, we use a mail forwarding service.

I have installed a device that will automatically dial my cell phone anytime it senses a temperature below 45 degrees, loss of electricity to the house for more than 5 minutes and leaking water. I've installed a thermostat that I can control remotely. We can lock/unlock doors remotely. We can operate the garage door remotely. As a side benefit of that technology, I get notification whenever the doors (including garage) are opened. That way, when my neighbors do their occasional walk through checks, I get notified as soon as they enter.

We enjoy lots of living house plants. Before we leave for extended periods of time, I put them on some temporary shelves in a protected area on our patio; they get a couple hours of morning sun and shade through the rest of the day. I use a drip irrigation system on a timer to water them. It looks like a jungle when we get back home.

That's how we do it. Seems to work well, for us.

I have considered installing some video surveillance; just haven't convinced myself that the cost/benefit scale tips to the benefit side for that expense.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #21

I do the usual things, shut off the water, in the winter open any outside faucets to drain, put the WH on pilot, lights on timers, let the next door neighbor know when we are gone (but he can tell anyway when the TT is gone from the driveway).

BUT above all DO NOT tell anyone on any social media where or when you are traveling so thieves that watch those things don't get ideas. That includes this forum or any forum, facebook, twitter, etc. It's fine to put it on the internet after you return and tell everyone what a wonderful trip you had. Only close relatives, trusted close neighbors and law enforcement need to know your plans in case of emergencies.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #22

What about the RV being missing

Does anyone worry that the RV not being at home in it's usual spot is screaming "We're not home, help yourselves?" I can't keep from thinking that will be a huge indicator, but maybe I just assume people pay more attention to my yard than they really do as they drive by. When I get my pole barn built for it I may just go ahead and get a front door for it though I wasn't originally going to.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #23

The only thing we do extra is let the cat sitter know and the kids. Nest cloud cameras are on as is the alarm.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:50 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
May be time to let it go and go out and enjoy life for awhile.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Turn off water
Turn off water heater
Summer time 85' Winter time 60'
Have a couple of lights inside on timers
Lock the doors and windows
Turn on the alarm
Let 2 responsible neighbors keep an eye on the place and have our phone numbers just in case.
Don't advertize you're gone in email, facebook, twitter or any of the other social media, period.
We do all the above. Our house is not visible from the highway so we make sure the mail and paper are stopped, so they are not collecting at the front gate. In my case there was lots of mowing to be done when we got home.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We dot he same as Cliffy and have the same cameras and thermostat as Stealth01. Only thing I would add is we have four lights controlled by timers and also gravity drain the water system. You should consider the cameras as they enable you to look in to the house and yards while away.
bobmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #27

We only go away for more than a weekend stay once a year. Usually our two children are with us. They are grown and have homes of their own.
My ace in the hole is my neighbor across the road from us. We are really good friends and he will know when we plan to be gone. He is a recently retired Army officer who has seen a lot of combat, most recently Afghanistan. I have no worries my house is "Guarded" and I have nothing to worry about. He is a key holder and is privy to every system in our house including the standby generator and sump systems. He also has keys to all our vehicles and will move them around daily.
If you want to break into a house I would highly recommend you pass by mine.
We extend the same courtesy when our neighbors leave for a bit.
I have zero tolerance for trespassers or thieves.
Lynn
Old 11-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #28

I think everyone has about covered it. We have WiFi thermostat, will email me if temp drops below 45* or drops 5* during a heat cycle. Can check temp or change from my phone or laptop, set it to 60* in winter while away. We're on a well so shut off pump, relieve pressure from pressure tank, open all faucets and let plumbing drain into basement laundry tub. Water heater on pilot. We have an automatic standby generator so power is not an issue. Two neighbors have a key, next door and across the street. Our son lives 7 miles away so in an emergency we or the neighbors can contact him.

Nothing we can do about the motorhome not sitting next to the driveway as usual.

Tags
travel