RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2019, 09:18 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
What do you do to keep safe?

Safety while on the road, I'm sure, is a concern in the back of many people's mind. But it's on my mind more now because of the murder of the Rumney NH couple who were RVing across the country. I have no plans to stop RVing and I'm not asking if you carry or not, but what are your rituals to keep you and your family safe while on the road - or is it not even a concern for you?

I am not necessarily overly paranoid when we are at RV parks, but just common sense generally aware. We have a German Shepherd Dog who travels with us, and will throw down if asked. And on "potty breaks" while driving my husband is spot watching over me, or outside with me. I also have a pepper dog spray I carry when taking the dogs out.

If my husband leaves the RV while in a rest stop, the door is locked, twice, until he returns.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #2

We have two dogs, one is highly suspicious of strangers and loudly proclaims their presence. I'm sure that both dogs would act if someone behaves aggressively. Indeed one used to get upset if the kids wrestled.

[Moderator Edit]

That said I doubt any of that would help if a pack of heavily armed gang members decided to attack without warning. This comment about the Mexican gangs wanting HD pickups to convert to technicals, is concerning and just fortifies my decision to stay away from the Mexican border.

The news of the slaughter of 3 American women and a number of children including two infants, on a road in Sonora should make all of us think long and hard about traveling down there. Mexico has become a failed state and warzone. I can see a repeat of the Pershing raid if this keeps up and the fence is not enough.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #3

The same thing I do to keep safe at home, in Walmart, the local grocery store, in church, at the doctors' office or in line at the DMV or the tax office. Chuck
Old 11-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #4

"Situational Awareness". The basis of any self defense. All the weapons in the world won't protect you if you place yourself in dangerous situations or environments unaware of your risk. Bad things happen to good people everywhere not just remote beaches and bad neighborhoods.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
The same thing I do to keep safe at home, in Walmart, the local grocery store, in church, at the doctors' office or in line at the DMV or the tax office. Chuck

EXACTLY! ^^^^

Pay Attention to what is going on around you.

Spidey Feeling/Gut Instinct/Something just aint right etc

Pay Attention
Old 11-05-2019, 10:57 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
"Situational Awareness". The basis of any self defense. All the weapons in the world won't protect you if you place yourself in dangerous situations or environments unaware of your risk. Bad things happen to good people everywhere not just remote beaches and bad neighborhoods.
Eyes and ears open. Head on a swivel. Not looking nervous, but not looking over confident, like someone that is either an easy mark or someone looking for trouble.

If you're physically defending yourself, you've failed to keep yourself safe, and are now very much not safe.

You can never be 100% safe, but you can be 100% not being physically attacked or defending yourself, and that is the goal. That should always be your goal.

Peace to you all.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
We have two dogs, one is highly suspicious of strangers and loudly proclaims their presence. I'm sure that both dogs would act if someone behaves aggressively. Indeed one used to get upset if the kids wrestled.

[Moderator Edit]

That said I doubt any of that would help if a pack of heavily armed gang members decided to attack without warning. This comment about the Mexican gangs wanting HD pickups to convert to technicals, is concerning and just fortifies my decision to stay away from the Mexican border.

The news of the slaughter of 3 American women and a number of children including two infants, on a road in Sonora should make all of us think long and hard about traveling down there. Mexico has become a failed state and warzone. I can see a repeat of the Pershing raid if this keeps up and the fence is not enough.

The latter story - the family is a polygamous sect of Mormons who left the church some years ago and took up residence in Mexico. What I've read so far indicates this family were not tourists, but traveling between family member locations and one mother was going to drive to Arizona to meet another relative at an airport. Some memberf of the family are reported to have dual USA-Mexico citizenship (that may prove incorrect later, we'll see). So far this appears to have been a 'wrong place, wrong time' incident where 2 rival gangs are having a territorial dispute. I wouldn't RV in that part of Mexico, though.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaureenB View Post
what are your rituals to keep you and your family safe while on the road - or is it not even a concern for you?

Honestly, no, it isn't a concern for me. Every day you're above ground, the world is safer than the day before. All statistics bear this out. You can be in the States, and this is true. You can be across the pond in Europe, and this is true. You can be down in Brazil and this is true. You can be over in Egypt, or in the Congo, or South Africa, or Russia, in the Middle East, in Central Asia, Thailand, Japan, the Philippines, Madagascar, New Zealand, Australia, and anywhere between, and the world is getting safer as time passes. Granted, there are small instances of governments being overthrown, and wars, but as a general rule, the world is getting safer. In fact, if you're reading this forum, you're definitely in a place where you don't have to worry.

Now that doesn't mean you can run around with fist fulls of cash waving in the wind while answering text messages and not paying attention to your surroundings. That person just looks like a victim. A thief of opportunity will be happy to relieve you of some of that cash. To prevent that, don't look like a victim! Pay attention to things happening around you. If you're driving and the housing around you goes from cute little cottages with white picket fences to run down places with bars over the windows and falling down fences that clearly haven't been painted since Nixon was in office, keep driving. You've found "the bad part of town". If you're in an area and every time you see someone, they're looking in your general direction, and the sun is setting, people are gathering around your area, and you're listening to music on your headphones, you're about to be mugged. Pay attention to your surroundings and look like you know what's happening around you. That will ward off 99% of danger.

The news is an interesting thing. Fear, like sex, sells! People eat that stuff up all day long. A news article about how a couple was stabbed 37 times will be read 500 times more than an article about a firefighter who saves a kitten from a tree. News organizations know this, so they tailor their stories to what people want to see. That's why the news is filled with reports of violent attacks, and everything bad that happens. People get desensitized to hearing the same thing over and over and over again. Nobody cares about all the drug dealers that were shot in Chicago last week, but that one grandma who gets shot down in Pleasant City Oregon makes the national news. It's so uncommon that it's startling. But that's the kicker, it's only startling because it's incredibly rare. The news thrives by bringing those incredibly rare, bad events to the front of your attention and makes them appear common. Pleasant city probably has only had 1 shooting in it's entire history, but now everyone's scared to go there because a grandma got shot a month ago.

Bottom line: Situational awareness will keep you safe practically anywhere. In the few instances where it doesn't, nothing short of a dozen body guards will either. And stop watching the news. It's warping your idea of the state of the country and people.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
And stop watching the news. It's warping your idea of the state of the country and people.
Once I got rid of my TV and started reading more, the world became a better, more wonderful, and safer place. I never saw a news story about how safe a day it was today compared to yesterday or last week or last month.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Once I got rid of my TV and started reading more, the world became a better, more wonderful, and safer place. I never saw a news story about how safe a day it was today compared to yesterday or last week or last month.
Same here. We are not so paranoid as to watch over our shoulders all the time. That's not living. We use common sense. We don't carry guns; don't have a dog. We love boondocking on public lands and never encountered anything that would give us concern.

Murders happen everywhere - in the smallest towns and even in our busy national parks where there are law enforcement rangers patrolling constantly. We volunteered in Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park and you wouldn't believe what goes on there. There were always BOLOs being transmitted over the radios. (Be On The Lookout)

Yesterday's news conference by authorities regarding the murdered couple stated that where they were is considered safe and it's a popular family place.

https://www.aetv.com/real-crime/cold...national-parks
Old 11-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Honestly, no, it isn't a concern for me. Every day you're above ground, the world is safer than the day before. All statistics bear this out. You can be in the States, and this is true. You can be across the pond in Europe, and this is true. You can be down in Brazil and this is true. You can be over in Egypt, or in the Congo, or South Africa, or Russia, in the Middle East, in Central Asia, Thailand, Japan, the Philippines, Madagascar, New Zealand, Australia, and anywhere between, and the world is getting safer as time passes. Granted, there are small instances of governments being overthrown, and wars, but as a general rule, the world is getting safer. In fact, if you're reading this forum, you're definitely in a place where you don't have to worry.

Now that doesn't mean you can run around with fist fulls of cash waving in the wind while answering text messages and not paying attention to your surroundings. That person just looks like a victim. A thief of opportunity will be happy to relieve you of some of that cash. To prevent that, don't look like a victim! Pay attention to things happening around you. If you're driving and the housing around you goes from cute little cottages with white picket fences to run down places with bars over the windows and falling down fences that clearly haven't been painted since Nixon was in office, keep driving. You've found "the bad part of town". If you're in an area and every time you see someone, they're looking in your general direction, and the sun is setting, people are gathering around your area, and you're listening to music on your headphones, you're about to be mugged. Pay attention to your surroundings and look like you know what's happening around you. That will ward off 99% of danger.

The news is an interesting thing. Fear, like sex, sells! People eat that stuff up all day long. A news article about how a couple was stabbed 37 times will be read 500 times more than an article about a firefighter who saves a kitten from a tree. News organizations know this, so they tailor their stories to what people want to see. That's why the news is filled with reports of violent attacks, and everything bad that happens. People get desensitized to hearing the same thing over and over and over again. Nobody cares about all the drug dealers that were shot in Chicago last week, but that one grandma who gets shot down in Pleasant City Oregon makes the national news. It's so uncommon that it's startling. But that's the kicker, it's only startling because it's incredibly rare. The news thrives by bringing those incredibly rare, bad events to the front of your attention and makes them appear common. Pleasant city probably has only had 1 shooting in it's entire history, but now everyone's scared to go there because a grandma got shot a month ago.

Bottom line: Situational awareness will keep you safe practically anywhere. In the few instances where it doesn't, nothing short of a dozen body guards will either. And stop watching the news. It's warping your idea of the state of the country and people.
Wonderfully refreshing, So many truths and reality checks!

Thank you for spending the time to write this.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:47 PM   #12

At the moment I'm camped at the Padre Balli campground on Padre island where those poor folks stayed and where their bodies were found is just down the beach from me.

But despite that I refuse to live a life of fear. I enjoy my full timing life, and can't think of any other way I'd rather live. But I'm no fool, I have a [Mod Edit] that is recognized in all the states I visit, and I don't go to or hang around places that "feel" unsafe to me, a little common sense goes a long way. I feel like I'm in way more danger pulling my Arctic Fox fifth wheel down the road than I am boondocked somewhere, and I believe statistics show that to be true.

So enjoy your life, I know it's easier said than done but turning off the nightly news will make it a lot easier.

theboondork.com
Old 11-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #13

Stick my head in the sand and pretend all is well
Old 11-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #14

I read many more threads on IRV2 about people getting into bad accidents driving their RV than being the victims of a random violent crime. Keep things in perspective.

Closed Thread