Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2018, 05:04 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
What do you do when leaving "home"?

This question is for those that are not full-timers, but take off for a few weeks a year and many long weekends...

We would obviously stop mail, cycle lighting and radio and arrange for yard to be mowed. Although we have an alarm system, we live on acreage and so do all our neighbors. What do some of you do to insure that your primary home is taken care of? A house sitter?

Family lives too far away to stay at our home while we travel. Not being from the area we live in, we have no long-time friends living nearby. Have any of you used a service?

Thanks for any insight. Looking to have all our bases covered as we very anxiously await this next phase of our lives!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2018, 05:23 PM   #2

Do you know any of your neighbors that you could ask to keep an eye on things. We have kids who live in the area so we have them drive by while were on a trip. There has been times when they went with us and we just left, much like you have prepared. If you are really worried you could put in a camera system where you can see and hear what's going on, on your property when you are away. You can see it on your cell phone. They even have systems where you can turn on/off your lighting systems. We have everything on timers, so it still looks as if we are coming and going.

I don't usually tell the neighbors we are going out of town. You never know who they will tell unintentionally. We only have a 1/2 acre which is a good size lot for where we live. We only have 4 houses on our street so it is really obvious when we leave as we keep the MH at our house. But nobody knows whether or not our kids are there. There's only so much you can do, so far so good.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:37 PM   #3

I leave about 6 months/year.

The mail is delivered daily to my mailbox which has the bottom cut out, so that the mail accumulates in the bottom of the structure, which is about 30" x 30" x 5' tall. I get a daily email from the USPS with a scanned copy of the 1st class envelopes being delivered daily. This is called Informed Delivery and it is Free. I like Free. All bills and utilities are handled on line. I have the insurance dates in my cell phone and a copy emailed to myself. (in case I loose my phone) I turn the water to the house off but leave the landscape water system on. I set the furnace and hot water heater on it's lowest setting. Leave one light on inside. I have a neighbor check on the house once a month and I have made arrangements with a friend who is a handy man to handle any issue that may come up. I have a battery tender (from Costco) connected to the car/s I leave in the garage. I travel with a document that has all our medical info including Prescription drugs, dosage, pharmacy info, med history, Drs and phone numbers, blood type and vaccinations. Saran Wrap over the tops of the toilets will keep the toilet water in place longer and prevent odors if the water gets too low. Just don't forget it's there when you come home. I do not have a security system or camera system. All I have is Home Owners Insurance. I would rather not be home if I'm robbed. Been doing it this way for 10+ years w/o a problem.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #4

I turn the water off. Had a friend that had a water pipe break while they were gone.
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #5

Up u til this year we have had the kuck to have a cop next door. He would walk the property, rattle doors and pick strawberries every night. Other than that I have notified local PD and turn off the water heater. Because we irrigate the yard we leave the well pump on.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #6

We have a web cam in the house that records a rolling week into a cloud service, several lights on smart switches that are programmed and I can manually change the program or play with the lights manually from anywhere with my iPhone. We also have a smart, programmable thermostat that I can check temp and humidity in the house, as well as change settings. Our nephew has a pool service business, so he comes by every week or so to check the pool. Best of all we have a wonderful next door neighbor that comes in every day or two to feed our Conure and check things. I put a hold on our mail with the USPS. Almost all our bills come via email and I pay them online. We have a yard service year round to take care of the yard. And as another just said, we have good homeowners insurance. I really don’t worry about it much when we are gone for a month or two or so.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
I turn the water off. Had a friend that had a water pipe break while they were gone.
X2. We arrived home to a foot of water in the basement, the drain had stopped up and caused the water to backup from the leaking water softener. Next day I installed a 1/4 turn valve in the main line to the house.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I plan on leaving a small TV tuned to a 24/7 channel and pointed at a outside window with volume up loud.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:12 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I turn the water off to the hot water heater and turn the circuit breaker to it off. I have a great neighbor who looks after the house while we're gone.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:36 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We travel several times a year typically for 1-3 months.

Reduced maintenance by removing lawn and installing low water use plants. Dose areas with weed killer before leaving. So no lawn care service needed.

Have an alarm system and several motion activated cameras inside and outside that we can remotely view. A couple inside lights are on timers. Some outside lights are on dusk to dawn, others are motion activated.

Local police notified we will be gone so they put the house on an occasional drive by check.

Mail forwarded to a mail service.

Water turned off.

Son lives not too far away if needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:32 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Mail is stopped, doors/windows locked, garage doors pad locked, thermostat off, water shut off at the main, arrangements made for lawn mowing, local sheriff will do a house watch, alert neighbors we'll be gone so they keep watch on the house too. They have our cell numbers. A few of the ladies are well known for keeping an eye out for what goes on in our neighborhood so there's no chance they'll miss anything odd going on at our home.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:04 AM   #12

Live in pet/house sitter, camera & alarm system, lawn service, and have friends drop by to check on sitter and house at random intervals.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:27 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We are luckier than most. We live in a gated community with multiple security guards through out the complex who do perimeter and home checks twice every night as well as early morning.

We also have a house keeper who is there every day and if we are traveling and have to leave our furry kid at home she will stay 24/7

So we leave when we want and don't worry about things at all.

One of the Bennies of living in he Caribbean.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:24 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Gregg & Dale! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

We are fortunate to have family living here that can check on the house regularly. We have the mail and paper held for our pickup on returning. We have a very sophisticated security system, including cameras that we can monitor remotely.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote