Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post

Wow... I did not know that there were CG's above $50. To me, that is more than what is in our budget unless it is a CG like others posted, like a high end resort and or right on the ocean. You can find many places like this one up in South Dakota with the best fishing in the world, beautiful scenery, and wildlife, full hook ups and the season rates are 700 - 800 a year and includes everything.
Don't ever plan to see Key West Florida unless you bring LOTS of money for your RV site.

Been there once in January 2012 to take photos at the southern most point of the US.

We wanted to go to Barrow Alaska last summer, not with the coach, but to fly from Fairbanks where we were staying while visiting my son, but the opportunity didn't pan out so it will be saved for our next trip to Alaska.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #44

would you believe $90. a night

off season?
wallvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Our most recent CG we stayed at was $20 night. Full hook ups, except only 30 amp.
But it was nice, clean and great folks that run it so I tipped them an extra $10 night.

Older retired couple living on fixed income and they go out of their way to welcome guests and make the stay pleasant. When I get service like that I have no hesitation in throwing in few extra bucks.

I am surprised to hear folks saying they pay as much as $90 to $100 bucks a night. For that money they better have a lot of perks with the package!!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #46

State parks in AZ are now $ 27 for 50 amp service, water and a dump station on the grounds. I use that as a baseline. Going across the country we've paid rates of $ 35 to
$ 45 at parks that were nice but certainly not what I would call "resorts"
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #47

What do *I* expect at a $50 a night CG?

Easy...

$30 change...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #48

Georgie Boy Owners Club
If you are retired/active military, FamCamps are the way to go. Most are $20-22 a night, FHU. As to the post about Key West, we were able to dry camp at the Naval Air Station for $13 a night. The water spigot was only 2 hose lengths away, so refilling our tank was easy. We used our "little grey wagon" to empty the tanks and if we did it every 2-3 days, my hubby only had to haul the wagon one time to dump it. We ran our gen 2, maybe 3 times a day to watch tv and such (quiet time from 11-7 at night). Our batteries are in poor shape which is why we had to run the gen so often during the day. But even so, it was a very economical way to spend the winter down there. Make sure your propane tanks are filled before going 'cuz it will cost you over $4.50 a gal to get it there. But what a tradeoff...ocean views every day and a fun place to ride your bike around...definitely going back this winter
varankins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is just my own bias but with the increase in RV travel, the grubbing of tax dollars, the cost of employees etc dictates the price the park needs to charge to make a profit. Greed being one of the deadly sins inspires fabrication, gouging and other unfair practices.

I strongly feel when a "rip off" occurs a note to Good Sam,Woodals and RV Reviews and anyone else that will listen is the only way to get an honest industry.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #50

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
I have been on the road since September and have stayed at some poor camp grounds that call themselves "Resorts" paying $40.00 up for the stay, had one charge $50. and elect. and cable were extra.
What do you expect for $50. ??
Could be I'm looking for to much for my money.
Right now we are at a resort that claims "Beach Access" only problem it's 1 1/2 miles away and no car access. The club House is shoddy at best and the sites are not much better, we have 25 psi on the city water and intermitent wi-fi, mostly 2 bars.
No pool, a small playground between two busy streets and very muddy.
Yes I know I could move but thats not the issue ! I reserved this park based on the pictures supplied on the internet and the description posted, found out the reservations could not be cancelled because we made them 4 months ago.
What do you find on your trips ??

Dunno, I don't usually stay at campgrounds in that price range. Most I go to that are full hook up RV parks are in the $18-30 range .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Don't ever plan to see Key West Florida unless you bring LOTS of money for your RV site.

Been there once in January 2012 to take photos at the southern most point of the US.

We wanted to go to Barrow Alaska last summer, not with the coach, but to fly from Fairbanks where we were staying while visiting my son, but the opportunity didn't pan out so it will be saved for our next trip to Alaska.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Np, haven't figured out a reason to go to Florida, yet, other than to see the Golf Course that bears our Family's surname.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
"what do you expect for $50.00 a night" not much these days that's a cheap date.
Must include movies or wine or something in there . A cheap date for us is dinner at the little Tavern just south of the Island, usually get a good dinner there and have a nice visit with Peter, the owner/lead cook for around $25, 30 in ya include the tips.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #51

Thor Owners Club
Good to hear about KW. When we FT will 1. Keep our GSC and also get a 3yr PA. Use the internet to scope out off the grid places who want the travelers to come in and spend money.
Most of these smaller communities offer free or low cost parking in the city park. We have used several just that dump stations are rare so you have to plan accordingly. Some of these smaller towns have Mom & Pop places with full hook ups, $20 for example. We have no hesitation staying at places like that and you get to meet some neat folks as well. The city parks though a lot of times have picnic area and swimming near by or lakes.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
The most I have ever spent for a campsite was $40 or something at Topsail Hill State Preserve. That is my benchmark and I don't think I would pay more than that for any site.
I'm a "State park type" guy, $15-25 is more to my liking. We usually don't get the "parking lot" experience with State parks.
Agree

I am going to have a very difficult time paying 50 bucks a night, not because I cant afford it, but i think it is a ridiculous price unless there is some outstanding amenities included ( i.e water park for the kids, free breakfast, pool, etc.)

Maybe I have become spoiled with all the beautiful state parks down here in Texas that I can stay at for 20 - 25 bucks a night with full hook ups
Old 06-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For $55 a night, I expect this or it's equivalent. Luxury RV Resort in Gulf Shores Alabama | Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Emerald Coast | Bella Terra RV Resort
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Except for that price at that specific location, you end up spending all day listening to a pack of salesmen attempting to get you to "buy-in" on their ownership plan which is an inflated price.

Been there and done that a few times in Mexico.

Not on my nickel or my time.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film
Except for that price at that specific location, you end up spending all day listening to a pack of salesmen attempting to get you to "buy-in" on their ownership plan which is an inflated price.

Been there and done that a few times in Mexico.

Not on my nickel or my time.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I agree....no doubt the overnight prices are a "lost leader" for the Marketing Dept. On the other hand, paved roads, large sites, beautiful landscaping, amenities, etc. are not cheap and as a "stand-alone" cannot be offered at $50p/night. In our experience a polite "no thanks" is usually sufficient and we have never been forced to take a high pressure sales presentation in order to stay at a newly developing ownership Resort.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does RV Park Reviews have an app?
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote