Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2013, 04:17 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
In my experience you can get a King size executive suite in a red roof inn for around 50 $ a night plus the next two nights for 20 $ each. 70 $ tops in a premium location. Complete with desk, wifi, microwave and fridge and King size bed. $50 for a campground site is outrageous in my mind . I don't expect to pay over $25 anywhere I go.
Where I spent $50-plus for a campsite, the going rate for a hotel room was more than double that. And the CG had better amenities than the hotel.
And I didnt need to move my stuff.
And I had my own bed (no bed bugs!)
And I had a campfire.

It's all about supply/demand when you go to an Eagles concert, or other such venue.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven

Where I spent $50-plus for a campsite, the going rate for a hotel room was more than double that. And the CG had better amenities than the hotel.
And I had a campfire.

It's all about supply/demand when you go to an Eagles concert, or other such venue.
Supply and Demand is the key. Speaking of keys. We want to visit the Keys when we go full time. I did a comparison of rates between hotels and CGs equally situated (as possible). Way better deal in CGs but neither is a bargain. It is what it is. A non-RVing friend of mine is a retired world traveler. He stays a couple of blocks from the beach in Thailand. Spends $30 a night. Walks to beach past the $150 - $300 a night hotels on the beach - rents the same chair and sits on the same beach with everyone else. it's all a matter of what you can afford, how you want to spend your time and money, and are willing to live with and without. No difference in CGs. We like both rustic and resort, but not run down or dirty. Sometimes a bargain is a bargain - sometimes it's a pig in a poke. Do your research and stay where it makes you happy.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

And I had a campfire.

Yea I suppose you have a point. I'm new to the rv game, haven't stayed at a nice cg with amenities yet. Best I've got is sewer and water, usually just water and a dump station you have to drive through. Lol
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #74

Thor Owners Club
If an option of using a nice hotel or stay at CG, we prefer our rig always.
It has everything we need and is very comfortable. Much quieter and yet the sit outside on the patio and enjoy a cold one.
And if there is a some rain, the touch of a button for a awning. We also like playing some lawn games.
Ever notice how people in CG's will stop to visit? Seldom to you ever interact with other hotel guests. We also find it fun to explore places off the grid and get set up and go out to check out places others seldom find. So when it comes down to cost, there are other things that go along with it I guess that are really priceless.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post

If an option of using a nice hotel or stay at CG, we prefer our rig always.
It has everything we need and is very comfortable. Much quieter and yet the sit outside on the patio and enjoy a cold one.
Actually,

When traveling from point A to B, I like to stay in hotel or motel parking lots or at least near them. They usually offer free high speed Wi-Fi and a safe place to stay for the night. Plus they are generally near the freeways too.

I always try to pick ones that have huge parking lots where I can easily get in and out and park out of the way.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #76

iRV2 No Limits Club
$50.00 a night is about $1500.00 per month. For that, I expect a HOUSE.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #77

While reading through the above discussion of campground versus hotel ... I thought of a neat comparison. At a campground it feels normal to smile and wave at fellow campers and even stop for a while to chat. How goes it in a hotel hallway?
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
$136 for one night the last time we parked at WalMart. Never fails; every time I try to "go cheap" at a Wal-Mart parking lot, my wife ends up making it the most expensive night of the trip.

Much cheaper to stay at $25-$50 per night campgrounds and invest in WMT stock.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #79

The whole point of having an rv, for us, is choosing whether to go to a fancy cg once in a while or pull off a quiet road and have no-one as our neighbor. Maybe we are anti- social but we prefer no-one to the awning to awning crowd 99% of the time
montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Hey. It is just for one night.
For me, a good concert or other such things are worth it.
Other times, I might pop for $50 just to have a swim-up bar.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #81

on our three month "climate refugee" trip south we Wal-Mart and Cracker Barrel 2 or 3 nights, then overnight in a state park or federal facility if one is near. When we get where we want to stay for a while we hope state parks have an opening, if not we will pay the price for a week or so.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #82

Look into Passport America
Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #83

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
I don't expect to pay over $25 anywhere I go.
Prepare for a steep learning curve if you venture out to California State Parks...I think thirty bucks a night is the LEAST you can expect to pay (no hookups), and that's in only a few remote Parks. Rates are typically much higher in the more popular areas.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #84

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
you pretty much got the whole enchilada here

50 per night, depends on what part of the USA you are in, or how desolate the route you have taken is and last but not least, the time of year and if its near any harvesting operations.

we returned last week from a trip to north eastern wyoming to see devils tower and mount Rushmore

in texas we stayed in two very nice private parks
both with wifi and full hookups
one had packed grass and one had real nice packed gravel

the grass place was 30 per night and the other was 22.
then in colorado (limon) i paid nearly 50 for a KOA one night stay, in wyo i paid 30 for a real nice spot near a huge lake........red dust doesn't even come close to the description
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote