Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #15
Tiffin Owners Club
If my hubby is smart, and he is, cause he married me, he expects me to tell him at all times what lane he should be in. (just a wifey duty) He has told many of his friends he doesn't know how he ever drove or got anywhere without me telling him what lane. He's even called while in a strange city for work to check and see if he is in the right lane. Luckily we have a great sense of humor.
Honestly we have no rules/lists as to who does what, everything just seems to get done going and coming. Only thing I haven't done and that is drive. Honestly don't think I can, have RA in both hands/wrists so there is doubt but might have t try someday to see how I handle it. He retires end of this year Both looking forward to it.

Ken & Cyn
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH DP
2012 Jeep Liberty
chiavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 07:04 PM   #16
Originally Posted by parsoc View Post
I tried to do a search but the term co-pilot is a specific item, not the person sitting in the 2nd chair!

Are there specific blogs or articles I should be reading? Yes, DH and I are having periodic "issues" and he seems to think there is a list or a set of expectations that go along with co-piloting.

I handle all the park/CG reservations, enter addresses into the GPS, double-check slides-jacks etc, help set up the hook-ups, help with hooking and unhocking the tow car, and direct him into gas stations and camping sites.

His issues have more to do with when I'm actually sitting in my chair and he is driving (beyond bringing him water or a soft drink!)

What do you expect of that person in the next seat?

Thanks all!

If you look to the trucking industry, the correct term is "co driver" and there are specific duties assigned to a co driver. In the couples concept of an RV, the duties are much more relaxed and pretty much up to each team to spell out. I suspect this is mostly hammered out over time and depends mostly on the inclinations and temperament of the individuals.

I tend to be impatient when I make a request also. I usually get the "look" and if I continue to insist, it's at my own risk. My wife is an RN and when she takes a deep breath and speaks in her "command voice", Marines run from the room covering their ears.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #17
Keeping track of the little people is priority one One of them is always trying to "escape" from their seat...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
We're new to RVing ... so we're sort of discovering our relative strengths. In our day gigs I'm an IT techie ... and she's a pediatric intensive care nurse. We tend to see problems and opportunities vary different vantage points.

So far - we've been pretty predictable. I'm focused on getting up to speed on how the various coach systems are support to function and behave. She's been more focused on making it a home. We've done pretty good working together on the various "making it a home" decisions ... and now, she's starting to get a feel for the systems as she learns to interact with them.

So far, I've done all the driving. We're hoping to find an opportunity to sometime this month to get her at least some exposure to driving in an empty parking lot. I've always been the primary driver when we're together - but we each drive ourselves to get wherever we need to go without issues. I expect I'll continue as primary coach driver - but have ever reason to believe she'll be able to if/when necessary.

The techie side of me likes playing with the GPS .. so I tend to handle the route specifics. Destinations and way points have so far been by mutual agreement.

When we're actually on the move - my wife is an excellent second set of eyes on the road. She makes sure I didn't miss a sign, don't have folks hanging in the "hard to see spots". She's also my "door person" whenever it's appropriate to exit the coach and provide direction, open and close stuff (card entrance to our storage lot, etc.). Being that we're new - we've had a couple of surprises about things falling open during a quick..er turn. She's been the one to address those issues when stopping immediately was neither practical or safe.

We're still pretty early on the learning curve as far as living and working with the coach. At the moment, we're just doing weekends - so I expect we'll learn to deal with some new situations as we starting making some extended trips to new destinations. We've got as ways to go yet - but are feeling pretty good about things so far!
2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:51 PM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh, you guys are so funny! No, no sex...!! WAY too uncomfortable in those seats, even when parked
I am not driving yet, although I have driven it in a big parking lot and "pretended" I was at a gas station. That will come later, he's a driving hog, what can I say (he used to be a bus driver, if that explains some things). We're new to towing and that has made him a little more tense than usual.
The gist of our "issue" is that when he asks for information he wants it sooner rather than later. We were 4 hours away from Reno and I really thought that (temperature) information could wait until I was through doing whatever it was I was doing. Just part of getting through this new RV experience I think. And I'm newly retired and we've never spent this much time together, especially in a 29' MH!
Thanks again for all your input, really enjoyed it (esp. the June Cleaver bit)
Since you just retired, you need a new relationship with your other half. I won't tell you how many times I have heard this, but you have to relearn being together since its now full time.
2001 Itasca Horizon 36LD Cat
Retired Air Force, One lovely Angel, 2 Cats and three birds.
the_vfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
Here's my list:
1) stay alert.
2) look out the windows and enjoy the views as we drive. The journey there is as fun as the destination, itself.
3) entertain me, the driver, so I won't just feel like a "driver"
4) be ready when we stop.
5) I hate rattles/squeaks. When I hear one while driving, find out what it is & stop it.

My most important one is #2. I want us to enjoy the whole trip together.
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #21
iRV2 No Limits Club
My DW pretty much does nothing other than read and sleep so I don't depend on her for anything. Am trying to teach her to use the Next Exit book to find restaurants etc., but it didn't work out too well the first and only time out with it.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by the_vfox View Post
Oh this could be sticky
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #23
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I'll bring some more popcorn!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:07 PM   #24
In addition to the common navigator duties mentioned, my DW also points out places we should have stopped on the left side of busy thoroughfares. Or ones on the right side as we pass them.
2003 Itasca Sunrise 32v F53
Okiedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:24 PM   #25
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have a new TT so we are still learning as it is a little different from our antique class c. I want to learn it all so I'll be able to if there is an emergency. I love to drive and have already driven the pu with TT however I still have to learn how to back it up. We both work together to get it set up and when leaving. I make an excellent gofor. We will be planning our routes together but I'm the one to load the gps'r with geocaches and our route. Our TT also came with a backup camera with sound. I don't have to rely on hand signals. It works great as I can move around to check for tree limbs.

Our journey is one we both enjoy.
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:18 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
My copilot spends most of his time sleeping under one of the two front seats while moving. My only real expectation from him is that he stay out from under my feet (under the brake and accelerator pedals). Every now and then he'll hop into my lap to see out the side window but that is pretty rare.
JD & Buddy (the ferocious feline) - Full timer out west
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4023 | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #27
Oh, you guys are so funny! No, no sex...!! WAY too uncomfortable in those seats, even when parked
So you've tried it then. Good for you!
2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, Andersen Ultimate hitch
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde Pinbox
1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #28
iRV2 No Limits Club
We, after 9 years of full timing, just recently changed roles. My DW is now the driver and a good one. She used to drive transit buses.

As the navigator, I provide driver comforts, such as pouring coffee, loosening water bottle tops, and setting up snacks on the arm rest between the seats.

When we are in or near cities: Watching the GPS, keeping her in the proper lanes, advising her of turn offs and watching signs. This allows her to concentrate on the actual driving.

I also advise her of merging traffic. (We are a little paranoid after being side swiped by a merging cement truck.) Double checking the mirrors for clearance, when changing lanes to the right.

In the more rural areas my driver watches her own GPS. (She prefers that) I enjoy the scenery and advise her of any change in conditions, such as cars broken down on the side of the road, any vehicle with flashing lights, and any changes in speed limits. I also enjoy the scenery then. O.K. I admit it: Occasionally I take a nap.

Upon arrival, I back her in using portable radios.

After arrival I set up the inside and she sets up the outside.

Then, we both relax as I thank my God that she is my wife. (42 years now and going strong)

Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote