Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2015, 08:15 AM   #29

I expect my co-driver to
1. sit down
2. shut up
3. hold on
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRF View Post
Here's my list:
1) stay alert.
2) look out the windows and enjoy the views as we drive. The journey there is as fun as the destination, itself.
3) entertain me, the driver, so I won't just feel like a "driver"
4) be ready when we stop.
5) I hate rattles/squeaks. When I hear one while driving, find out what it is & stop it.

My most important one is #2. I want us to enjoy the whole trip together.
I could not have said it better. To the OP, your DH in my opinion is lazy and demanding. I would never consider having my wife take care of all the things you are in charge of. What exactly does he do?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
I love my DW and she does much like what the OP says. We both have a routine for prep that we seem happy with. If there was one thing that I wish she would do more of but doesn't seem to have that particular instinct is trip and route planning. I spend a lot of time looking at maps, googling etc. before we ever hit the road on a just so I can familiarize myself with the particulars. She doesn't do that and so when I have a question about what is coming up, she is often not the most help. I lovingly call her SakaNoWaya (instead of Sacagawea). It sometimes feels a bit burdensome to make all the substantive decisions about where, when and by what route. I try to involve her in the planning for feedback and prep but it just isn't her thing.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #32

While driving my wife will knit or sleep or if doing neither of those we will talk. If I am looking for a turn or sign I will ask for her help. If she is awake and looking up she will warn me if she sees something. All that is fine with me as she has usually had a long week leading up to the weekend.

I do all the driving as she will not drive the truck. I usually have the truck and trailer hooked up and ready to go when she gets home. She just changes and gets in the truck. GPS is already set and all.

At camp she will assist if needed to get in, help with leveling side to side if something is needed under the wheels and then she will chock her side and remove the WDH on her side. While I do the hook ups she does the corner jacks, the rugs and the chairs. She then heads in to do the awning and slides etc while I open the outside kitchen and we are good to go.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:35 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsoc View Post
I tried to do a search but the term co-pilot is a specific item, not the person sitting in the 2nd chair!
Are there specific blogs or articles I should be reading? Yes, DH and I are having periodic "issues" and he seems to think there is a list or a set of expectations that go along with co-piloting.
I handle all the park/CG reservations, enter addresses into the GPS, double-check slides-jacks etc, help set up the hook-ups, help with hooking and unhocking the tow car, and direct him into gas stations and camping sites.
His issues have more to do with when I'm actually sitting in my chair and he is driving (beyond bringing him water or a soft drink!)
What do you expect of that person in the next seat?
Thanks all!
Do you have a Sister? That's a pretty good list! I would love that!

Honestly! We do everything together and the most inportant is that we have fun!
Old 05-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #34

Years ago...before the GPS thing, we were driving in Los Angeles - a nightmare. We needed to exit soon but the exits were going to the right and the left. We were in the center and he got on the CB asking what lane we should be. He kept repeating and received no answer. Finally, I grabbed the CB and stated, "this is the Pink Bunny can you please help, etc.". You would not believe how the CB communication all of the sudden got full of chatter!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #35

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My DW text's or plays games on her Ipad !
Tried to get her to track down an annoying squeek one time. She turned her head, pointed somewhere behind me, and proudly stated," It's coming from over there". .
Old 05-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Enjoy the ride..if she does that all is good
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #37

I am the navigator. I plan the trips, plan the route, man the GPS, maps, Next Exit, make reservations, watch for traffic, what lane to be in, where to turn, how far ahead something is, read road signs, take care of the dogs, get snacks & drinks, point out interesting things, Google something if needed, squawk when we hit rumble strips, take pics and make sure DH is awake and alert when we're on the road.

I've been the one to try to figure out the various systems and how things work. It's an on going process. In defense of DH, he has been occupied with remodeling our home and that has taken most of his time since we bought this coach.

Once we get to our destination, I help unhook the Jeep, guide DH into the site, help with getting water & electric hooked up, help get the satellite set up, get the receivers connected and make sure we're getting a signal (DH is not techie). When we leave, I help take it all down and put away plus get the inside ready to travel.

DH is the driver and maintenance man. It's his job to fix lunch too. He manages to do that in between messing around with all the fly fishing stuff he has. He pumps the fuel & he is also the coach washer & waxer. AND he does the dumping. That job makes up for some of what isn't on his list. He is also the wood man if we're somewhere that we can have a fire. He makes margaritas too.

I say "list" but we really don't have a set list. He does the driving although I have hopes of getting behind the wheel soon. We tend to divide things naturally for us and so far it's worked out fairly well.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
What do you expect from your co-pilot?

It's good to hear from so many DW's! So many funny comments! We just got back from a two week trip and I have to say that reading this thread has been an eye opener!

While she does most of the inside things, other than helping hook up the Jeep, I do most of the outside things. I also do the navigating but now I think maybe we could share that duty a bit more. I think I could also use her help in double checking things before we leave (not that I've ever forgotten anything!). Other than that, she's really happy to talk (keeps me awake) and watch the road thru the picture window!

But, I guess the most important thing I've realized from this is the need for her to know how to do what's important in an emergency.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #39

Absolutely nothing.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #40

Everything......she carry's the purse.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
I expect my co-driver to
1. sit down
2. shut up
3. hold on

4. Make me a sammich
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
It's good to hear from so many DW's! So many funny comments! We just got back from a two week trip and I have to say that reading this thread has been an eye opener!

While she does most of the inside things, other than helping hook up the Jeep, I do most of the outside things. I also do the navigating but now I think maybe we could share that duty a bit more. I think I could also use her help in double checking things before we leave (not that I've ever forgotten anything!). Other than that, she's really happy to talk (keeps me awake) and watch the road thru the picture window!

But, I guess the most important thing I've realized from this is the need for her to know how to do what's important in an emergency.
Does she have a sister named Annie. Yours and mine could be twins.

I can't even get her to use her cell phone, much less GPS.

But when it comes to planning where we go, she's a full partner. I just wish when my phone and Garmin argue with each other - she could look to see which if either is better or worse... And yet, I've never made a wrong turn.... nope, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote