Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
Just under $50 at the local Ford dealer.

2004 Gulf Stream Conquest 6236 Ultra Limited Edition 24' Class C towing a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
RV Mods and Upgrades | The Blog - Full-Time RVing on a Budget | RVnumber.com?1
RVRoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
I pay no labor costs, only for oil (Amsoil) and filter as my son does the work (he's an Amsoil dealer). Plus he uses his grease gun for the chassis.

FMCA# 266040 HRRVC# 84109
2000 32' HR Vacationer w/Banks
'98 Subaru Outback 5 spd toad
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Without having my service bill in front of me, I just had my coach serviced and State inspected for $245.00 That included a full oil change with Mobil1 and filter, Greased, Allison Trans check with a new filter and fluid top off and a general checkover. And this was done at my local GMC dealers heavy duty truck shop.
Now my regular Sierra pickup was just in for a service, no inspection, Lube,Oil (Mobil1) and filter plus a transmission fluid change (Mobil1) plus I had to have two front air bag sensors replaced which were giving me an alarm on the dash. These two sensors were $165. dollars apiece!
My total bill was over $700 dollars and that was at a private owned service center!
I think I do better getting the MH serviced!
Going down that long lonesome highway,Bound for the mountains and the plains
Michael Parks / Then Came Bronson - 1969
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I got my Bounder it had 2,700 miles on it. I took it to a Fleetwood dealer for servicing. They charged $165 for complete servicing. At 7,000 miles I was hereing a whine from the rear end. Took it to a ford truck shop. The rear end only had about 4 quarts of oil in it should have been 16 + quarts, NO SIGN OF LEAKS. Ford replaced all the bearings and seals under warrenty. The Fleetwood dealer servicing check list had a big check mark by CHECKED DIFFERIENTIAL. I will never take the motor home to a dealer for servicing, even Walmart checks the rear end. DO IT YOURSELF!!!
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #19
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
had the oil changed last week; we paid $46 (newport, or)
lowest we paid was $36 (but that was a couple of years ago - and prices tend to go up)
highest: we were quoted $125 at one place
peter & larry... tiffin 2015 allegro 36LA ~ chevy 2009 HHR tow
we're here... http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=12260
our blog... http://wllrtr.tumblr.com
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
Since I no longer care to crawl around under my MH changing oil, filters and lubing, I take her to a local quick change oil place which is owned and operated by one of my oldest friends. His shop has two bays tall enougn to get MH in with ease. His rate for this is $39.00 and I no longer end up with grease and oil all over me. Never, never have I let a rv dealer do this basic service as they want anywhere from $100-$150 do do what I get done for 39.95.
John- 2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
catonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #21
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I had an OLF done at Gator Ford in Tampa last year. The $69 00 seemed a little high but fair. They then hit me with about $15-20.00 in shop and disposal fees ,that's when they lost my repeat bus.
Don't you just love those disposal fees. Especially now when they turn around and sell the used oil to a reclamation center.

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
$180 at the local Workhorse service center where I know they do a complete lube and safety inspection. $60 at most other places on the road where I have to remind them to lube all of the zerk fittings and check the other fluid levels and the air filter. Some times you get what you pay for. My drive train warranty ends August 28 so I will probably have my son in law do the service after that when we are home.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #23
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I had an OLF done at Gator Ford in Tampa last year. The $69 00 seemed a little high but fair. They then hit me with about $15-20.00 in shop and disposal fees ,that's when they lost my repeat bus.
I finally got it done at speedy. It is $38.00 for a 5 quart oil change and filter. Mine to 6.5 quarts so the charge me for 7.. So the charged me 45.. That was ok reasonable not for me to get my hands dirty.. They change the oil in a hole so your RV doesn't have to go on a lift.. but watch them. I needed a Air filter. an aminaml got in it and chewed it . They were going to charge me $35.00 for it. I think you can get the for $10.00 so I passed..
bassoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #24
Ford recommends an oil and filter change in my gas motorhome every 3,000 miles. I use AMSOIL who recommends and warranties an oil and filter change every 15,000 miles up to 1 year, so that is what I did. At the end of the 15,000 miles, I sent the oil in for analysis and it came back saying the oil was good for continued use, but I had already changed it. I plan to do the 15,000 mile up to 1 year oil and filter change from here on out. I'll change the generator and oil filter with AMSOIL at the same time. I did the same with my 1993 Ford gas motorhome with no problems when I sold it in 2009.
Damon Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #25
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
do it myself for peace of mind

I can understand the conveinience of having it done by a "professional ?" but I just cant stop wondering what they omitted or just plain didn't feel like doing.....I do it myself so I can relax and enjoy the view when out there on the road. A little oil on my hands is a fair price to pay for peace of mind ! I keep kitchen aid rubber gloves, enclosed oil drain pan and a light weight creeper in the storage compartment. All I need is a parts store with a paved parking lot big enough for my 30 fter. I always ask the store manager before doing the work and have never been turned down. AND they take the used oil off my hands for free. I usually tip with a six pack for after the store closes.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #26
Solo Rvers Club
$60 with full fluids and tire checks
'07 Itasca 35L/W22 FULL-TIMING
1000 Trails - VFW - 5 Yrs Army
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #27
I change my own oil and lube the chassis. I bought a Fumoto quick drain valve so there's only a slight hassle and almost no mess, except for the oil filter. A flattened cardboard box will catch the messiness from that if I'm careful.

I found a clogged zerk fitting the first time I greased the chassis. I fear that some "professionals" might've simply skipped over it instead of taking the trouble to replace the bad part. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't trust strangers to go too far out of their way to protect my machine.

I do need to check the differential though.....
Coyle & Sue
Cassity (Labrador) and Rylee (Standard Poodle)
2007 Damon Challenger 355; 2003 Element toad
195pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #28
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just an update on what it costs me for this service. I had this done this morning and had the oil changed in generator, the total was $57.38. Last year at the first of December I had her at the dealer for some work and casually asked about this service. He told me that to change oil, filter and lube was $149.00 but he would throw in the generator oil change. I didnt use him. Many Quick Lube type places can handle your service for much less than dealers.

John- 2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
catonine is offline   Reply With Quote