Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #29

We are in the process to close on selling the house in Az and move to OR to live of the grid and travel enjoy life, tired of the "Rat Race"
So yes, friends are like " no normal person will sell everything they have after working so hard to get it and live of the land??? "

So our answer is "we are getting out from the Rat Race and retire so we can enjoy life .

Yes we retire at 37.
Ursu din Bv. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Lifestyle

I get this question all the time, followed closely by, "what kind of mileage does that thing get"?

My reply is that my motorhome is a Land Yacht. I own it for the same reason boaters buy boats, pilots buy planes, or car nuts buy sports cars.

We can live in it for a few days or as long as we want. When parked at home it can double as a guest house.

If you are being asked about full timing...you're on you own!
Old 11-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #31

We just say " it's our cottage at the ocean, in the mountains and everywhere in between , and WE know who slept in the bed last!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #32

It's in my signature.
"When the times comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
I want to look back at adventure, all the sites that I can cram into my life before I no longer can. I want all the experiences of being on the road, to smile about the wonders and laugh about the stupid things that will inevitably happen. I don't necessarily want a long life, I want a full life.
I've been the route of climbing the corporate ladder with a nice house, manicured lawn, and two cars in the garage. I've discovered there is more out there and I'm going to go find it.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why explain anything. You don't need their permission and you don't need their approval. It is tour LIFE, go LIVE it! safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #34

Jayco Owners Club
We haven't made the leap yet (I still have a few years to work before I can retire- my husband is retired) but the reasons we are going to leap into the life is that life is short...

We are a blended family; more than 28 years ago, we brought children into a new marriage from previous marriages. As a result, we did not have the alone time at the start of our marriage that so many other couples do. Now that our children are grown and have begun families of their own (all over the country!) it is time for us and to create opportunities to visit them all.

We really enjoy spending time together, traveling down the road, exploring new places, learning new things. I am sure there will be a time when we will not be able to physically do this; we don't want to miss the opportunity to see what a great place in which we all live while we still can.

This will be our answer...

(Ok, I confess I got a bit serious, but there it is...)
RayAndLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
RVers "How do They Live Like That?"

I bought a dozen of this book when it first came out. Parents, inlaws, siblings, and children all got a copy. Still keep one on hand as a lender for those newbies that ask. A used copy is still available reasonable, others not so.
RVers: How Do They Live Like That?: Judy Farrow, Lou Stoetzer: 9780974282213: Amazon.com: Books
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rocky, and how many have came back and told you that they want to RV.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Rocky, and how many have came back and told you that they want to RV.

Ken
One Brother-in-law still thinking, one close friend tried and stopped, 4 friends/co-workers that I know of that have retired and hit the road. I would have to guess another 6 or so that have expressed more than a passing interest but have not yet made a purchase.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
"What do we tell those that don't understand RVing?" NOTHING, we don't associate with those types
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
shhhhhhh!

Please try to keep how much fun it is a secret! Pretend you didn't hear the question.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you have to ask!

Most of the replies here are my sympathies exactly. It is a life style and if you have to ask, you might not understand. We love the life and don't regret or look back. We are happy and don't look down on those that envy us. This is what we have chosen, we are happy!
BJLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #41

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We actually hear less of the "why do you RV" and more of the
  • "how much does it cost/what kind of mileage does your RV get"
  • "where are you going next"
  • "I wish we could do that"

from our friends, family and similarly aged peers.

And I tell them all ... why are you waiting/what are you waiting for? You take vacations to Disney, or here or there, and spend THOUSANDS of dollars on a weeks vacation every year. The cost of a motorhome - at least ours on a 10 year loan - is less than the cost of our monthly car payment. Sure we're making the payment every month whether we use it or not, but because we have it we USE it every chance we get!

With a motorhome you can take off for a weekend with your kids (if you have them) and have multiple vacations a year. Why settle for one week a year when you can enjoy yourself all year long?
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #42

"My next adventure will be the best."
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote