Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #1

what do you use boondocking internet service

first thing boondocking = in the middle of no where = no cell phone coverage, etc. so satellite looks the only way to get to the net. what provider do you use ? pros and cons ?? cost ?? speed ??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #2

Our reason for 'boondocking' is to be away from everything. No cell, no internet, no problem. If we need to contact some one, we have a sat phone that is only turmed on when WE need it. The sat phone cost about $49/month and no charge for the minutes that we use.

R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unlike some (obviously) I can see the desire and/or need for remote internet connection.

Actually there are several companys that offer this service. I think the most popular is Motosat Datastorm and Wildblue...and I read that Dish Network is getting back into that game:
Satellite Internet | Rural Broadband | dishNET

I have only shopped around and have not made the plunge...so I'm like you. I would search this forum for "SAT Internet," "Datastorm," "Wildblue," etc. I think the cheapest monthly is about $90 for the internet piece...after equipment is acquired.

Best of luck and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #4

Commercial Member

Monaco Owners Club
We've had great success with Verizon. We boondock in some pretty remote places in lower 48 - we have a MIFI device from them - works great on 3g or 4g.
You'll need a different plan for Canada though.
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
Our reason for 'boondocking' is to be away from everything. No cell, no internet, no problem. If we need to contact some one, we have a sat phone that is only turmed on when WE need it. The sat phone cost about $49/month and no charge for the minutes that we use.
Do you have a link?
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #6

Verizon MiFi
Old 02-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
There are now tech-free hotel rooms - you must leave your laptop, cell phone, Ipad, etc at the front desk. There is no telephone or television in the room. And people are booking them!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Verizon jet pack mi-fi 4g LTE works incredibly well. Verizon's LTE coverage is far superior to AT&T. AT&T has a larger 4g network. I had AT&T for 15 years, but like Verizon much better. You can go to each website and look at their coverage maps to determine the best coverage where you spend the most time camping.
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #9

Wonderer1

I had Hughes Satcom (at S&B) and the cost was about $90 a month but that was in the late 90's. Don't know current prices or if the technology has improved since then.

It worked OK at best. About 300kb/s up and the most I ever got down was 1.5 mb/s. Often the down was <1mb/s. Forget about VOIP or streaming anything. But it does allow one to web surf and send/receive email.

A good clean shot at the sky was required and it was often degraded by weather. (if you park under trees with folliage forget about it,)

Others may have better experience (luck) than I did but that was my only option at the time.

I noted one poster said they had a Satphone for $49 a month with no charge for calls, WOW, I had an Irridium Satphone for years and sometimes my bill exceeded $3K per month. But this was business in very remote areas where there were no other options.

I too would like to know about the Satcom service for $49 and no cost per minute rate????
Old 02-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #10

Yes on the Verizon MiFi. Works great in most locations except high on some mountains.

Also, if you are in a crisis where you need a lot of communications capability and are able to drive to a town, many hotels will let you use their business data center. We had a crisis last summer and we holed up at a Holiday Inn business center in a remote town in Wyoming for a few hours on several different days.

They had excellent internet access for Skype plus a printer, scanner and fax machine, all of which we needed and used. The hotel staff were happy to let us use their (unused) business center even though we weren't current guests...
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #11

I use Starband with a higher offering so I get 5 gigs per running 7 days at a faster speed for $99.

Ed
Old 02-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Here are a few places to check out for internet:
RV Internet Access
Dale & Mark Bruss
Communication
Mobile Internet Satellite provides satellite Internet connection services and products for RVs and the home.
Choose a Satellite Internet Provider
Satellite Communication | Satellite Internet | Phone | Radio | TV and DSL Internet | VoIP | GPS
Datastorm Users
Oh and there is this too
Home > Autonet Mobile
But correct if I am wrong but if you have no cell service then the mi-fi will not work right?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer1 View Post
first thing boondocking = in the middle of no where = no cell phone coverage, etc. so satellite looks the only way to get to the net. what provider do you use ? pros and cons ?? cost ?? speed ??
If I am boon docking, and I can't get any Verizon coverage, I am moving to a spot where I can. I look forward to being out in the middle of the desert, but I want my morning newspapers, irv2.com, and my wife has to have her crosswords, and words with friends.

From what I have seen on is site, millennium has 20 GB FOR 69.99 a month.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I have heard that Millenicn uses verizon's network and is cheaper anybody tried them yet?

Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, service