Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #1

What do you use to keep out moisture?

I am storing my 36' class A motorhome under a fabric cover and would like some suggestions for keeping the interior dry. What do you use? Thanks in advance.
NW Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Ive used this for the last two years when we store our RV and have had no mold or condensation inside the rv. We use two. You can get them at walmart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1363.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	109013  
Old 10-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
x2 on Damp Rid. We use 3 or 4 of the large 4lbs tubs. It's pretty humid here in Missouri, so we make sure the windows and roof vents are all closed.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Also use the Damp Rid, normally the small bucket (10 oz?) or the hanging bags, usually last a month or two but I had one of the bags that picked up a lot of water in just a week or so, found a fitting dripping under the vanity.

The bags warn not to use in a vehicle in motion. I had one leak in the house, not an easy clean-up. BTW My fault I nicked the bag opening the pkg.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You can't really keep it dry if the region is humid - you would be trying to dehumidify the entire state! The products shown above do work, but they will quickly reach their limit while Mother Nature still puts tons of moisture in the air every day. Your best bet is to arrange plenty of ventilation, to avoid the effects of high humidity. Not sure how you do that with a cover on, though I think some of them have openings for window or roof vents.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
i use computer fans the are very good at moving the air we also put them in our 38ft boat when we put it up for winter in michigan never had any mold problem the trick is to keep the air moving around
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:54 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here in WA I just keep heat in the rig all winter but the MH is stored right beside the house too. Been doing that for over 30 years with no problems.
Those that have to store the rigs without power do have a much more severe problem!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:25 PM   #8

A dehumidifier will remove the many gallons of water that is required to lower the humidity as needed. Damp-Rid will remove a tiny fraction of that amount, and then only when you replace it.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #9

If you have your rig plugged into electric, than a small dehumidifier is the way to go. Have ours in shower with drain hose into the shower drain.
Once left it on counter next to kitchen sink with drain hose into sink with sink drain plugged. Warmish humid day...wanted to see how much moisture was taken out. Had it set to 50% humidity. At end of 24 hours sink was almost filled up.
Unbelieveable how much moisture is trapped in a rig.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:09 PM   #10

Safe Heat Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Here in WA I just keep heat in the rig all winter but the MH is stored right beside the house too. Been doing that for over 30 years with no problems.
Those that have to store the rigs without power do have a much more severe problem!
What do you use for a safe heater?
NW Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moisture