Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Well I thought of us as being fulltimers. We were on the road for 2 years. Rented our Condo knowing we could never afford to come back to the same area in San Diego. Wife wanted to see and visit all the State Capitals which we did. Took a ship to Alaska and the islands. While in Ill visiting friends I went to the Doc and was told I had Cancer (Myeloma) and that I should return home for care. So we hit the road back home. Call the folks living in our place and asked if he would be willing to let us have our place back early. No Problem. So five years later we are still living at our condo but do long weekends in the RV. Even though it only lasted 2 years I tell folks that at one point I was a full time.

Beak12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #16
Originally Posted by hal1phx View Post
I would agree with MisterT ... Full time in the RV ... No S&B. and of course some travel ... after all ... that's why they have wheels ....
X 3!
Mel, a "Winter Timer"
'96 Safari

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #17

Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
In my opinion, Fulltiming refers to a lifestyle, not a travel style. As with any lifestyle, it comes in many different variations. What does it really matter which term someone chooses to refer to their version.
But since you asked, Fulltime RV life implies that you live fulltime in an RV. It doesn't imply that you move once a week or once a year; it doesn't imply that you put on 10,000 miles or 1,000 miles a year on your odometer.
Its not unusual for the same fulltimer to go through several different variations if they stay with it for many years. Many brand new fulltimers begin in what is referred to as "vacation mode", traveling constantly, staying only a few nights per stop, with the goal of seeing as many different places as quick as possible. That quickly becomes tiring and hard on the budget for many. Next phase is a slow down where the average stay in the same location becomes several weeks to several months. After many years of fulltime RV travels, some but not all, decide for financial, health or just personal preference to settle into a more stationary fulltime RV life with only a couple moves per year with the major seasonal changes, or no further travels at all. If someone lives in their RV for 6 months out in the BLM desert all winter and then 6 months at a NFS camp in Colorado all summer, how does that make their fulltimer status different from one who changes location every week. It only makes their annual fuel costs different.

X2 what he said. I have stayed overnight, stayed a week, stayed over the winter, and now have stayed a little over a year in one spot. Where I currently am, I really like and have not yet seen or done all I want in the area. Does that make me any less a full timer? I don't think so.
1996 Newmar Mountain Aire. 3760 CA
2006 to 2015 Boxer named Cash (aka Cassius Clay)
2016 - Boxer named Chevy
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #18
Everyone is different but to us it means selling everything and taking off on an adventure to see the country.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:01 AM   #19
Lots of varied and valid answers, each being meaningful and valid to the poster. To me F/T means whenever I " go home", it is to my RV/TT. Wherever I might be located, that is home for about the next 5 years, maybe longer.
2005 Wildwood LE 29 FBSRV 80% wheelchair accessible (and working on the bathroom)
2004.5 Ram 2500 ST LB 2wd with 5.9 Cummins
qchair62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:32 AM   #20
Last summer we were volunteering in NJ then worked Amazon in Kansas till Christmas then went to Texas to volunteer now we're touring Alaska will return south to Tennessee for more Amazon then a volunteer gig in Florida for the winter. We call our RV "home".
'09' F350 CC DRW B&W Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:41 AM   #21
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
To me, as a part time, full timer we don't stay anywhere, for more then a few weeks.

I only use the MH, in the summer, because we live on a Trawler, cruising, for the winter, in Florida.
Life's tough, ain't it?
2015 A.C.E. 27.1
American Car Dolly
2001 Ram 1500 / 2012 Kia Soul....Go Hamsters!
rivraton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:02 AM   #22
If someone asks this question, they will definitely get a whole lot of different interpretations of the elusive definition of the term Full-Timer.
2015 Landmark Newport 365
2015 Ram 3500 4x4, CTD, DRW ,MC ,AISIN , 4.10's,
Six Burning Six Turning ! ,RVM 104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We still have a sticks and bricks but live in the MH more than half the year. The rest of the time we spend packing, unpacking and fixing stuff on it. Does that count?
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:39 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
There is no right or wrong answer to this topic, of course, so no need to disagree with anyone else's answers. I was just surprised after meeting some people who call themselves full timers to learn they either don't go anywhere and just live in a stationary TT or MH all year long, or move once a year from the same park up north to the same park down south.

When I first heard the term full time RV'ing I had visions of thousands of miles of travel each year, visiting new places, and revisiting favorite spots from past trips. That idea became the dream of what I hoped we'd do when I retire in a few years. Unfortunately as some reality issues come up I think it more likely that we'll actually stay sunbirds, living in our sticks and bricks Arizona home in the winter and traveling 3-4 months each summer. But I gotta admit, the thought of full time travel to different destinations all year long still sounds most awesome.

So what about you, what's full time RV'ing mean to you, both your ideal and your reality?
To me, fulltiming means you live fulltime in an RV, whether you're traveling or sitting in one spot!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We are fulltime and sometimes we are on the road, sometimes working at a campground and sometimes in our daughters back yard. We always have the option of lifting the jacks and going wherever the mood strikes us, without having to worry about the s&b being taken care of while we are gone, as well as the expense. This is a lifestyle we chose and while it's not for everyone, we love it. Today we are in our daughters back yard, next week we will be starting a summer journey.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #26

What does "Full Timing" mean to you?

Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Fulltimers are people who have choices, but choose to live in their RV because its the lifestyle they want to live. There's some Beach guy on here that think folks forced to live in their RV because they have no alternative and don't have the possibility of moving their RV are fulltimers. Fulltimers on this site planned and dreamed about doing what they are doing now.

Yep. Planned and dreamed for over 40 years!
We plop down here and there, enjoy whatever is available within 100 miles or so, but often hop-scotch in a wandering manner.
Each to their own way, but adventure is what makes it all joyful.
May the Journey also be Your Destination
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:24 AM   #27

It's here for now, but don't blink
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1432563863.961442.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	95182
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #28
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
...Fulltime RV life implies that you live fulltime in an RV. It doesn't imply that you move once a week or once a year; it doesn't imply that you put on 10,000 miles or 1,000 miles a year on your odometer.....

That's what I always believed it to mean! It's all about living fulltime in an RV.

Traveling is irrelevant to the definition.

Some snowbird fulltimers travel only twice a year. Some fulltimers move whenever they feel the urge.

RV marketing material, books, and the RVIA would have the general public believing that the nomadic gypsy life is the predominant form of fulltiming. However, RVPark owners know otherwise.

The vast majority of the millions of RVs ever built used for fulltiming residence eventually pick a favorite spot as "home" and then venture out from there for occasional getaway trips, but then return back.

The nomadic gypsy fulltimer does regularly occur, (usually, bright eyed newbies for up to a few years or even a decade), but they are actually the minority. There would be daily caravans of RVs on every single Highway and Freeway across the country, like ants, if all fulltimers were living the nomadic gypsy life. That is not the case. You do see lots of RV traffic seasonally, (snowbirds), and during holiday weekends.

BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote