Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
What does "Full Timing" mean to you?

There is no right or wrong answer to this topic, of course, so no need to disagree with anyone else's answers. I was just surprised after meeting some people who call themselves full timers to learn they either don't go anywhere and just live in a stationary TT or MH all year long, or move once a year from the same park up north to the same park down south.

When I first heard the term full time RV'ing I had visions of thousands of miles of travel each year, visiting new places, and revisiting favorite spots from past trips. That idea became the dream of what I hoped we'd do when I retire in a few years. Unfortunately as some reality issues come up I think it more likely that we'll actually stay sunbirds, living in our sticks and bricks Arizona home in the winter and traveling 3-4 months each summer. But I gotta admit, the thought of full time travel to different destinations all year long still sounds most awesome.

So what about you, what's full time RV'ing mean to you, both your ideal and your reality?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 07:42 AM   #2

To me, as a part time, full timer we don't stay anywhere, for more then a few weeks.

I only use the MH, in the summer, because we live on a Trawler, cruising, for the winter, in Florida.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:09 AM   #3

To us, it was giving up the sticks and bricks and living fulltime in the motor home. Sometimes we traveled extensively, some times we stayed in one spot for a few months to work or volunteer or just enjoy.

For us it was a compromise; hubby prefers long stretches at one location and I like the road, but the rig was our HOME, no matter where we were or for how long.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:16 AM   #4

It sounds like 'full timing' would mean living in an RV 'full time', with no other 'home' to go to. Of course, there are many who live 'full time' in a 'fixed' RV, but that feels to me as just another type of S&B home.
I feel as though 'full timing' means not only living in the RV all of the time, but also traveling in it, whether ALL of the time, or just SOME of the time, or at least having the ability to 'unhook' and go whenever desired.
It's akin to asking the question of whether someone lives in a 'mobile home'. That may mean a true manufactured home with wheels, no matter how 'fixed' it is to the spot where it sits. But would a true 'mobile home' be mobile, right? I don't see too many of those.
: )

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
More than 40 hrs a week consecutively.

I'm not retired and won't be for a long time. LOL.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #6

I would agree with MisterT ... Full time in the RV ... No S&B. and of course some travel ... after all ... that's why they have wheels ....

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yeap - "no other home than the RV", whether the RV ever moves or not. Travel or not is a different question - lot's on part time RVers don't travel either - their RV is on a seasonal or year around site and visited when convenient. Use of a fixed-site RV as a weekend cottage is popular in New England, for example.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #8

Everybody will have there own definition of course. For us it means no house or apartment to fall back on if things don't go well. I also define our type of full-time, as not staying put to long, like more than a month or 2, and also having the means to be able to enjoy the journey along the way.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #9

In my opinion, Fulltiming refers to a lifestyle, not a travel style. As with any lifestyle, it comes in many different variations. What does it really matter which term someone chooses to refer to their version.
But since you asked, Fulltime RV life implies that you live fulltime in an RV. It doesn't imply that you move once a week or once a year; it doesn't imply that you put on 10,000 miles or 1,000 miles a year on your odometer.
Its not unusual for the same fulltimer to go through several different variations if they stay with it for many years. Many brand new fulltimers begin in what is referred to as "vacation mode", traveling constantly, staying only a few nights per stop, with the goal of seeing as many different places as quick as possible. That quickly becomes tiring and hard on the budget for many. Next phase is a slow down where the average stay in the same location becomes several weeks to several months. After many years of fulltime RV travels, some but not all, decide for financial, health or just personal preference to settle into a more stationary fulltime RV life with only a couple moves per year with the major seasonal changes, or no further travels at all. If someone lives in their RV for 6 months out in the BLM desert all winter and then 6 months at a NFS camp in Colorado all summer, how does that make their fulltimer status different from one who changes location every week. It only makes their annual fuel costs different.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
No S&B live in my MH 24/7 12 months a year.
Sit 7 months in Florida travel and sit 5 months in summer up North.

After doing it for over 15 years and have been in all lower 48 some of them many times by MH or Motorcycle.
I no longer make long sightseeing trips. Been there done that.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
There is no right or wrong answer to this topic, of course, so no need to disagree with anyone else's answers. I was just surprised after meeting some people who call themselves full timers to learn they either don't go anywhere and just live in a stationary TT or MH all year long, or move once a year from the same park up north to the same park down south.

When I first heard the term full time RV'ing I had visions of thousands of miles of travel each year, visiting new places, and revisiting favorite spots from past trips. That idea became the dream of what I hoped we'd do when I retire in a few years. Unfortunately as some reality issues come up I think it more likely that we'll actually stay sunbirds, living in our sticks and bricks Arizona home in the winter and traveling 3-4 months each summer. But I gotta admit, the thought of full time travel to different destinations all year long still sounds most awesome.

So what about you, what's full time RV'ing mean to you, both your ideal and your reality?
I have always believed it to mean exactly what you have stated here. As some of the others have posted, if you're never going to move it then it becomes a "Mobile Home" type of arrangement. If you going to do that it's no different than owning a house, and would probably be more cost effective to just buy a Mobile Home in an area you really like.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #12

My goal for full timing as I'm seven years away from retirement are as follows. We have already purchased a RV lot in our favorite area to visit and since it it only five hours from the S&B we can utilize it on weekends until that time. I plan to sell the house and buy a plot of land near family on which I intend to build a barn or shop big enough to park the MH inside as well as store an antique car and motorcycle that I never intend to sell. We intend to split our time between the RV lot and our barn with several months of travel mixed in to places we want to visit. Things could change in the next few years but those are the goals we are working toward. I have a friend who says he doesn't want to own anything that won't fit in, on, or behind his MH. He is almost there but I guess I still have an emotional attachment to some of the stuff we have accumulated over the years.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #13

I'm chuckling because I know of one full timing couple who decided they were getting too old to drive the MH so they bought a fiver in TN and now commute between the MH in Fl and the fiver in TN. I assume they have a lot of company.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fulltimers are people who have choices, but choose to live in their RV because its the lifestyle they want to live. There's some Beach guy on here that think folks forced to live in their RV because they have no alternative and don't have the possibility of moving their RV are fulltimers. Fulltimers on this site planned and dreamed about doing what they are doing now.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote