Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What fire protection do you have?

Just wondered how many and what size fire extinguishers and how many smoke and carbon monoxide detectors others have in their RV's. We have a small extinguisher downstairs near the stove that is rated 10BC to take care of stove fires, converter fires, etc. We have a large extinguisher up in the bedroom rated 2A, 40BC in case a fire starts downstairs that could trap us in the bedroom. Of course we have the normal LP gas detector and a photoelectric smoke detector downstairs, and carbon monoxide and photoelectric smoke detector in the bedroom. I am adding a carbon monoxide downstairs.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the standard fire extinguisher, smoke detector, and carbon monoxide detector and like everyone we take every precaution to prevent fires by doing a yearly inspection on anything related to the propane system. In the event of a fire the first thing I'm going to do is exit the motorhome making sure my Wife and dog are out first. Years ago we were parked next to a motorhome that caught fire and I grabbed my fire extinguisher and ran around the front of our motorhome to go over and help, before I could even get near the burning motorhome the fire was way beyond what any fire extinguisher could control. I ran back to our motorhome to disconnect everything so we could move our motorhome and even that wasn't easy because our awning was out (I don't leave it out at night anymore) and my Wife was trying to direct me out of the space, with our awning extended, while a fellow camper was running along side my motorhome carrying my shore cord and waterline. Inspect you RV annually, take all preventative measures for fire safety and you can probably extinguish a small fire but be prepared to make the decision when the fire is out of your control. Will our experience of having a RV burn up next to us keep us from enjoying RV'ing.......heck no! Fires happen in stick homes all the time and we haven't sold our house.

Ron
Old 12-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #3

In our coach we have 2 fire/smoke detectors one up in the cockpit area and one in the hall next to bedroom entry. The one near the bedroom entry is First Alert SA302CN photoelectric & ionization. Also we have a carbon monoxide detector in the bedroom.

We have 2 fire extinguishers, one by our outside entry door, a Kidde 1A-10BC, and one in a cabinet next to our bed, a "First Alert" 3A-40BC.

Today, changed the batteries in all 3 detectors.

Good topic Have a great New Year and travel safely

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
This year during the iRV2 National Rally one of the seminars that was presented was by "Depchief" and the topic was RV Fire Safety. The presentation was well received by the attendees and it was outstanding. Depchief received a big round of applause concluding his remarks.

If he happens to read this thread, I expect that he will share with us some of his thoughts on fire safety.

In regard to fire, a most terrible tragedy occurred this Christmas morning in our former home town where 2 adults and 3 children were killed in a terrible residential fire in the Shippan Point area of Stamford, CT.

Terrible, Terrible Day
·
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Our coach came with 1 large fire extintuisher (entry door) & 1 smoke alarm (kitchen/living) along with 1 CO detector & 1 LP detector. I purchased an additional 3 smaller ColdFire fire extinguishers (bedroom, kitchen, propane bay) & an additional smoke alarm (bedroom).

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Good topic--I have 3 in the RV,and at least 1 in all cars. I take the ones out of the rv every 2 years,and place them in cars so some times I have more then 1 in cars.I know I can get them checked and recharged but at what they cost I just replace them.The ones in the cars have come in handy ,not for me but others on road twice in auto fires.The one thing I changed in RV was to get a LP detector that would close valve on the tank if it went into alarm.It was a little costley but will work when no one around. I tried a smoke in the battery area in old rv ,but it always went off. Have not done it is current one yet.I don't think you can have to much protection in our rolling earth quakes.
AND---The most super NEW YEAR----Bill
Old 12-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Early on in our ownership, we traded the powder extinguisher for a foam unit. Fire extinguishers sit for years without being removed from their mounts. If nothing else, remove the extinguisher from its base, turn it upside down and tap it on a sturdy surface to get the powder to move. Check the pressure gauge to make sure that is shows a charge. The needle typically points toward the 12 o'clock position.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1- Unhook the Toad
2- 1 800 Allstate Insurance
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Will be checking out what is in our rig...I always want to be on the safe side...bought our MH in Nov. haven't taken it out yet, sitting in the driveway waiting for camping season...may have DH see what extra protection is needed....thanks for starting this topic.....
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
When we bought our coach, it only had a non working LP detector. The first thing I did was replace the LP detector, added a new smoke detector in the living quarters, new smoke detector and CO detector in the bedroom, replaced the 2 small ABC extinguishers (in the bedroom and living area), added a class "K" extinguisher near the kitchen (although we rarely cook inside), and added 2 5lb ABC extinguishers behind the driver and passenger seats. Unfortunately, I've witnessed waaaaay to many of these things burn, and they burn EXTREMELY fast. I could care less about saving the coach, but I damn sure want to make sure I can keep the fire off the family long enough to get out.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since I drink lots of beer, I'm always ready if a fire breaks out.....ROFL
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #12

One of the VERY BEST things you can ever do for yourself and your loved ones is to get to a “Mac-the-Fire-guy” seminars. This guy is a pro and he will open your eyes. You will throw out all the fire equipment that the manufacturer installed once you see what he is going to show you. He does have an FREE online fire safety course. Take the time and listen. It can save a life.
http://macthefireguy.com/
Ron
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
One of the VERY BEST things you can ever do for yourself and your loved ones is to get to a “Mac-the-Fire-guy” seminars. This guy is a pro and he will open your eyes. You will throw out all the fire equipment that the manufacturer installed once you see what he is going to show you. He does have an FREE online fire safety course. Take the time and listen. It can save a life.
http://macthefireguy.com/
Ron
I second that! I bought 3 of the foam units for inside the 5er. The powder extinguishers are prone to blow the fire around (say on kitchen stovetop) if not used just right. If I had a MH, I would also have him install the engine compartment auto-extinguisher; since over 80% of MH fires originate in the engine compartment. (I think that was his figure).
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Interesting points here. I would imagine each coach, TT, etc would need multiple layers of protection. Class A, B, C, and potentially D fires. I would also suggest more than one "traditional extinguisher" using CO2 would be appropriate, as you may be near another RV'er that may need assistance.

I think my biggest concern would be electrical. We fiddle with wires and batteries. A mistake could cause a catastrophic issue.
OldPugVA is offline   Reply With Quote