Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Started in RV

As a child we really loved to spend the summer on our farm in a tent or just sleeping under the stars. As a young adult and married we started out with a tent that leaked since we always camped in the rain. So our kids tell us. We moved up to a small Sears tent trailer and the rains continued. When we went to a Coleman tent trailer the rain didn't seem to bother us as much but it still rained. Are you getting a theme here. It is know in our family if we need rain send us camping. We did enjoy more sunny days but it always rained sometime on our vacations. Moving ahead to after the kids are gone we moved up to a 5th wheel, then to a class C but with Grandkids we always ran out of room. 6 people don't fit in a class C. We now have gone through two class A's and found our love in the second one. Camping for over 50 + years has been a joy and we hope to continue for many more. RVing has been the best time in our lives. Traveling back and forth between our Grandkids and oh yes our children has been the way to go. We love RVing and our trips get longer every year.
Corvette Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #16

I started camping as a boy scout, then came the service and college,then marriage, then kids. Couldn't afford hotel motel vacations. Bought a Ford Econoline truck, refitted it to be a camper, put a tent on the rear. Kids loved it, we liked it, that was 50 years ago and many RV's later, still doing it.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
The DW refused to pee in the woods at 3 AM. That is how I got into RV's.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #18

In the beginning....back during the "big one", in 1942 our dad took us on backpacking trip into the crest of the Cascades.... Over the years, one thing has led to another and here we are. DW and I are sitting in our motor home looking across the Columbia River toward Astoria, OR, at the SERANADE OF THE SEAS, or her sister ship, on her way to the Alaska cruise season. What could be better?!
jimfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was in Boy Scouts for a long time. In NM, Dad rented a Sero-Scotty Highlander and took us to Gallup. In PA we rented a Skamper then bought a Shasta and had great vacations. I went to college before they bought the Terry.

Fast forward 30 years. DW and I planned to drive from TX pick up a relative in NC and then go on to PA. We rented a small RV to give us more room. We got adventurous and took the RV to a campground at the Delaware Water Gap, just before we blew the transmission in it. A couple of years later, another rental and and almost 3 week tour of the Dakotas convinced us (in spite of another transmission problem) to get our own RV. We looked for several years but our current RV kind of fell into our laps one January morning. 5 years and over 30K miles later, we've never enjoyed anything more. With DW's diabetes, the RV is a much easy way for us to travel.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
What got you started into RVing and kept you here.
The ground got harder a few years ago

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:24 AM   #21
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
The beautiful Eastern Sierras in Ca.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #22

When I was a child our family camped under a tarp held up by a rope between two trees. At Grand Lake, Colorado we about froze to death on the 4th of July weekend 1955. The people next to us had a travel trailer and were nice and warm. Dad vowed to get one (TT). In 1958 we bought a Used Terry Travel Trailer and as is said "the rest is History". Oh by the way, we followed the Snow plow over Trail Ridge on the way to Denver, on that 4th of July.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
For years, my lovely wife and I zipped through many places in an automobile - usually heading to something important at the time, such as my Navy obligations and then years of railroad relocations ---- we always said," Someday we're going to have time to follow some of these tourist signs and see some of the beautiful sights!"

Someday came with my retirement at 55 in 2003 . . . got the motorhome, our first RV, in 2005 . . . we'll keep following the tourist signs until it's not fun anymore.

God Bless the USA
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:25 PM   #24

Appalachian Campers
I always had a passing interest in camping, and in some sort of RV because while I like being in nature I like being inside watching TV when it's raining.

My ex and I attended several events a year where camping was necessary. We tented because we really couldn't afford to get anything, and didn't really know if we'd like it, etc. These events were astronomy related, so I was up all night, then it'd get hot as the Sun rose. Get up open the vents, ditch the sleeping bag, now it's too bright to sleep, so it's wasn't working for the best anyhow.

Then we stumbled across an older MH, '78 model as I recall, 440 Mopar powered, in decent shape, everything worked. But it was a PITA to drive, and he wanted too much. But that started the spark because on a whim we looked at one.

We started looking at PU campers, but to get a shower like she wanted, and kitchen, and AC is only like $2K more, we had a $13K PU. Scratch that. Looked some more, in June found the 2002 TT I still have knocked down to $18K. Snapped it up. Our own bathroom, AC, kitchen, nice bed.

I've kept it for several reasons. You can't beat the peace and quiet of sitting in a campground next to a fire getting close to family. Once the payment is in the household budget budgeting a vacation is much cheaper.

Primary reason is RV people are usually neighbors wherever you set up. I don't even have that at my house where I've lived for 15 years.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:34 PM   #25
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RVing Start

A very good question. When living in Texas (64-69), we wanted to see a lot of the WEST... like GC, Teton, Yellowstone. The ONLY way to afford this, was to rent a Camper Trailer behind the VW Stationwagon... Of course the Trailer was TOO big, but we made it, sometimes in 3rd gear!!!!!on the straight!!! We just loved this way of seeing the country. Later we bought our own, again the FORD Stationwagon was too small for the trailer (TERRY 23.5 ft), so - we traded both car and trailer in on a
CONCORD MH.... very nice MH. We just fell in love with the lifestyle and ease of living and driving a MH. After a couple of MH's we will never give this lifestyle up???! Drive as long as we are healthy.
We hope to see all the points we visited, when young and just did it...
See you on the road
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #26

I have asked myself that very question numerous times. Why would a person sell a beautiful home with horses, a barn, a garage and even a motorcycle garage, great friends and move into a sub-400 sqft depreciating asset that will age out before we do? What could ever bring a man to invest in a vehicle that gets 8-9 mpg in these times of rising fuel prices and have as much social favor as our Hummer Toad

I have to laugh in a way as these are all reasons given to us as we were handing the keys of our home over to the new owners. There is a lot out here. We have met some of the most dynamic people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. I will not miss the weekend ritual of fix the house, mow the lawn and tend to all those wonderful chores being extended to a full week instead of a weekend. The list goes on of why we are here. My sister and her husband cruised into my driveway one day with an F250 and 33 ft 5r attached having sold their house. I also gave them all the reasons I have stated above and thought them totally daft. I also know those reasons are sensible, logical and realistic that were posed to me and I posed to them.

In my mind there has to be an overall belief to justify the rest. My first belief is not to believe in things too much.

Stuff traps you. Stuff makes you keep after it, it takes on a life of its own and requires you to keep after it.

Money trap. The money trap is that if you lose money you are being hurt and therefore you have to protect, at all costs, against it. You then check out of life, after long stress induced illnesses, having protected and expanded your money. Money is a medium that allows you to do what you need or want to do. It is a tool for life, as much as a hammer or saw, and should not consume your life.

Friends and neighbors are good things and I will dearly miss the ones from our old stick and brick. It was a true revelation for me when I realized they will always be friends and will not have to be unsettled when I am cutting trees on Earth Day. It was even more eye opening when I realized that this "good thing" of friends and neighbors would be expanded to each campground I went to. What a cool deal.

Going to Our Church and not their Church. You will be amazed how many people are so tied to their Church that travel is almost impossible. Guess what, there is a secular agreement between the sky and the sky pilots for Churches to be almost anywhere you go. If you happen to be in a place where there are no Churches and just trees, well you may be at the essence.

Perhaps the most important part of this is that it is the last great adventure in life. Sort of like leaving your friends and family to go into the service and enter adulthood. Exploring new places, seeing new things and not having anyone tell you how or where to go.

I am sure there are many things that can be added to this but these are a few of my thoughts why we are out here.
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojavaphil View Post
I have asked myself that very question numerous times. Why would a person sell a beautiful home with horses, a barn, a garage and even a motorcycle garage, great friends and move into a sub-400 sqft depreciating asset that will age out before we do? What could ever bring a man to invest in a vehicle that gets 8-9 mpg in these times of rising fuel prices and have as much social favor as our Hummer Toad

I have to laugh in a way as these are all reasons given to us as we were handing the keys of our home over to the new owners. There is a lot out here. We have met some of the most dynamic people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. I will not miss the weekend ritual of fix the house, mow the lawn and tend to all those wonderful chores being extended to a full week instead of a weekend. The list goes on of why we are here. My sister and her husband cruised into my driveway one day with an F250 and 33 ft 5r attached having sold their house. I also gave them all the reasons I have stated above and thought them totally daft. I also know those reasons are sensible, logical and realistic that were posed to me and I posed to them.

In my mind there has to be an overall belief to justify the rest. My first belief is not to believe in things too much.

Stuff traps you. Stuff makes you keep after it, it takes on a life of its own and requires you to keep after it.

Money trap. The money trap is that if you lose money you are being hurt and therefore you have to protect, at all costs, against it. You then check out of life, after long stress induced illnesses, having protected and expanded your money. Money is a medium that allows you to do what you need or want to do. It is a tool for life, as much as a hammer or saw, and should not consume your life.

Friends and neighbors are good things and I will dearly miss the ones from our old stick and brick. It was a true revelation for me when I realized they will always be friends and will not have to be unsettled when I am cutting trees on Earth Day. It was even more eye opening when I realized that this "good thing" of friends and neighbors would be expanded to each campground I went to. What a cool deal.

Going to Our Church and not their Church. You will be amazed how many people are so tied to their Church that travel is almost impossible. Guess what, there is a secular agreement between the sky and the sky pilots for Churches to be almost anywhere you go. If you happen to be in a place where there are no Churches and just trees, well you may be at the essence.

Perhaps the most important part of this is that it is the last great adventure in life. Sort of like leaving your friends and family to go into the service and enter adulthood. Exploring new places, seeing new things and not having anyone tell you how or where to go.

I am sure there are many things that can be added to this but these are a few of my thoughts why we are out here.
Phil
You have just identified the absolute essence of life itself. Go forth and enjoy.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #28

phil, i really liked reading your post! in fact so much so i had to break dw away from her crossword puzzle while getting ready for sleepy time (thats tough) hope you continue to enjoy all your travels and times for many moons jimsue
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote