Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #29
National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
What got me started RVing? My ex-husband's family all owned some form of RV and when we got married we joined them with a slide-in truck camper. Since then I have also had a Micro-mini MH, Class A, 5th wheel trailer, and presently a Class C. I was about 25 when I had my first camping trip (although my family took car/motel trips every year in my youth) but my daughter was less than 2 months old when she had her first RV camping trip. She grew up camping at least once a month and seems to still enjoy it.

Barbara Spade
Jaymie (Sheltie/Pom) and Luke (Sheltie/mix)
35' Sea View (Class A) MH & Honda CR-V toad.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #30
I think what started my wife and I was really more about protesting the jobs we were in and up to last year I was in. 30 years of going where they said I must go on their time schedules. Never getting to enjoy the many places and countries I ended up in. I loved the work and the money as that enabled us to experience the RV lifestyle.

Also, I saw my Dad work his whole life and never go anywhere just for fun. He was military for 30 years and then worked for GE for 20. I told him many times to retiree and travel with mom see the country/world on his terms, but he never did. 4 months after his time with GE he was dead.

Is RV'ing in the future, absolutely and for as many years as the DW and I can do it. It's a beautuful thing...

"the Journey is the reason"
Waffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #31
Homer And Jim,

I am glad you appreciated my post. It made me feel good about what I wrote. There are so many things in our minds that keep us from doing the dream and people to discount it. People ask me where I am retiring to and I tell them definitely not next to the blade of grass that is twisted the wrong way. This is a lot like motorcycling. You either are or you are not and you just know if you are. HD's ad campagin coined a phrase: "If you have ask then you will not understand"
May the wind always be at your back and the sunsets spectacular!
Phil & Carol & Ariel, Grey Lady
2016 Ram CTD 4X4
2009 Carriage Cameo F35SB3:dance
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #32
Official iRV2 Sponsor
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been rving since I was old enough to buy my first camper for a truck (1978). I grew up camping with my mother and stepdad who had several campers thru the years. That made me want to have one as well. I have had five campers, three trailers, and three motor homes. We are now fulltiming. That happened after buying the motor home we have and looking at it sitting for the first winter while we were paying out big bucks to pay for it. Decided would rather use it while paying for it. And here we are. Dont know if and when we will ever go back to a stick and brick. Just having too much fun traveling and meeting people.
Lee and Fran
Holiday Rambler Vacationer
While traveling down lives paths stop to smell the flowers.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #33
I had moved out of my parents home, and gotten married and then my parents decided to buy a 29' Layton trailer. They hooked up the old Cadillac and off they went. (Never inviting me, mind you?)

But they did this for a few years as they were retired and they went allover the country. Once I met them at Stone Mountain, Georgia and stayed over the weekend and that is when I knew I liked camping.

So about 20 years later and a new husband by my side I convinced him to buy a R-Vision 21 ft hybrid which we kept for 4 years before getting our 31' fiver about 1 1/2 years ago. We love camping so much now.

We hike, bike and canoe and hope to camp more and more days out of the year. (As many as we can get off from work that is). So far we've gone 24 days this year.......we usually camp about 45-50 days!

I don't think we'll ever give it up. Wish we could full time, but that really doesn't appear in our future - but you NEVER KNOW !

AntiqFreq - Soperton, Georgia
07' Keystone 291RLS 5th wheel
03' Ford F250, 7.3L diesel
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #34
Fleetwood Owners Club
Back in the early 70's, we were looking for a family oriented activity, with the emphasis on "family." I wanted to take flying lessons; DW said fine, she would meet me with the car wherever I landed - so that didn't "fly."

Living in the Seattle area at the time, I thought a boat would be great, but unless you can afford a serious all-weather craft (we couldn't) their season is short; OK, because this didn't "float DW's boat," either.

Then we found campers and motorhomes.

Transferred to the Cincinnatti area, found a "class A" 22' stick-built on a Dodge chassis, 318, no air, by Fan Trailer, their first and last venture into mohos. Had a ball with it. It became our "family sedan." We'd take it out for a day, a weekend, went to New Hampshire and Maine coasts, Williamsburg, Myrtle Beach, etc. Kids grew up with those memories, son and his family now have National class A, daughter and family looking.

Retired and enjoying watching. Life is good.
Ken & Carolee, 1994 36' Pace Arrow/Ford 7.5L, Mobil 1 full syn & Banks Pack. Towing a 1999 Saturn SL2 with Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain & Brake Buddy.
blacktie.shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #35

Mom & Dad,

in a tent 5 of us kids then we got a popup, then a tt
when i was about 25 we bought a popup had it for about 4yrs then i bought a 5th wheel, been going ever since
WaveMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #36
Country Coach Owners Club
Hotels and restaurants are very limited in their ability to provide a comfortable existence on the traveled road. Big boats and motorhomes always attracted my attention.

Camping was something I did in Vietnam and had no furthur interest for me in my recreation time. Sleeping on the ground in water in a Monsoon is not a pleasure to me.

Rving gave me equipment to learn to operate to maximum efficiency and maintain, a comfortable way to travel that we both enjoyed, and the ability to exit directly to the outdoors not some dingy hallway in a hotel.

Our bed and bath holds no undesired surprises, we have all the features of our house in the MH, and we can visit new locales for a different perspective from the sticks and bricks surroundings.

And, we can still go to restaurants if desired but its not required. We have our refrigerator and freezer stocked with stuff we like.

What's not to like?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #37
Alpine Owners Club
Peace of mind, heart, soul and to view the beauty of the country.
Fordiesel250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #38
A good friend of mine let me drive his RV and that was all it took to get me hooked. Been there ever since.

Jack & Marg(Brit)USAF Retired

01 Winnebago Journey DL 36ft w/Cat 330
HobbyJack is offline   Reply With Quote