Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #29
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I haven't been rving long 2 or 3 years and not out as often as I want. But I'm a married lady with hubby always gone, so I'm traveling with my challenged daughter alone. Now that's a combination for sure. Most time folks don't speak, I try once if they look my way. Sometimes a guy will but when wife comes out, end of that, hey I'm looking for noone, I've been married 44 years.

But I went to one park on Padre Island a city owned park. I went to my site and was unhooking my toad so I could back in. 3 guys across the road were watching. Pretty soon they came over and said can we help, usually I say no but they started pitching in. They had my toad unhooked and parked, helped me guide in my motorhome and had me hooked up before I could say anything. I thanked them and told them my situation. They were all really nice, that is the nicest I've ever been treated. They would wave and I took my daughter all over down there too. We really enjoyed it. We were not invited to any campfires but that's ok. We generally get a shower and crank up the tellie or she plays on her computer and I read so not out after dark to much.

But yes we have been snubbed, I'm not sure why, maybe people just want to be left alone, or unsure what a woman alone is doing there, or thinking I want something from them I don't know. Hum, never thought about it, I suppose they may think two women together might be, well you know. I just had that realization, gosh.

In one park a couple had a motorhome like mine, I went over and talked with them, very nice people. Turned out they too had a son kind of like my daughter. They had motor trouble with their motorhome and had to have service I asked if there was anything I could do to help and they thanked me and said no. But the next day here comes the husband. He said we have locked ourselves out would you mind on the offchance your key unlocks our door to let us try it. I did and would you believe it did! Well they were thrilled since we were 60 miles from anywhere and would have cost them to get a locksmith. So next morning they came over with sausage sandwichs for breakfast, now that was nice. I hope to meet more folks like those in the future. I try to be nice, but I'm sure my situation seems odd and they aren't sure how to take us, so I don't worry about it to much.

I think anymore people are a little more afraid to approach people then they used to be, to many reports of nuts out there. It is a different society then I grew up in, less open, and more guarded in many ways. Sometimes I think the worst thing that ever happened to this country is 24 hour news. You get a constant parade of what is going on in this country and its usually bad news.

I guess as I travel more I will see how it goes. I will be going from my newer 2005 Winnie to my 92 American Eagle, lets see what kind of reception I get now. But its still fun no matter and I'm not letting any of it bother me. I can be happy alone or interacting with others so its all good. We just want to get out and go and see this great country.

PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!