Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #1

what happened?

When my wife and I were in the researching phase of purchasing our first RT I began reading this site. Upon completion of the purchase I continued to read this site due to the wealth of helpful knowledge I found. I have continued to visit this site daily, if not more frequently.

In one days time I have become truly amazed with some of these posts. Sure we all need to get some things off our chest from time to time, but this just amazes me with what we as a whole have become.

When I started camping as a young man, I was always amazed how complete strangers acted as friends. How strangers offered a helping hand out of the kindness of their hearts. How everyone waited to greet their next neighbors.

Reading a couple posts today makes me question what happened to the personality of campers. The recent post "are class a camping snobs" needs to look deeper. I think we are all snobs anymore.

A simple gripe about dog poop turned into complaints about perfume. Later today I read people assume tent campers will be partying all night.

I've camped in a tent. I've camped in a pop-up. I've camped in a 20-something year old camper. I've camped in a nicer camper.

When I did these things I didn't look to my neighbors jealous of their rigs, or looking down at them because mine was nicer. If that's how people are these days, or this applies to you....just stay home.

There used to be a bond at any given campground that you wouldn't find elsewhere. What happened to that bond?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #2

I once read a book called "The Naked Ape" in which the author looked at humans as if we where just apes without fur. One of his ideas was that, as population increases, mammals start to go insane. He had a couple of examples of studies that had been done on various other mammals and in each case, as the population became more dense, the same series of events unfolded - basically, we go nuts. I think we can see this first in big cities. Perhaps that is happening now.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is nothing new to large support sites. When you get this many folks talking and chatting, you will see all extremes of personality.

I was rather amused at the "Class A" snob threads but quickly just ignored them. Ignoring certain topics is good for your sanity. LOL

Just keep reading and accept that there are jerks and angels on every site. Pick and choose and don't dwell on the unfriendly stuff too much. Too many good posts to read.

Move on my friend and welcome to IRV2!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #4

Here's a funny for you (I may have posted this a long time ago but it is still funny). Once upon a time my DW and I were helping out at an RV resort in southern Idaho. It was a weekend and we were very busy. A large class A pulled in with a 5er following them. I told them to pick a site and we would settle up in the morning. They were real snobs about the lack of personal service. Next day they were gone - early. They had skipped out. They had also washed both rigs and pulled out so fast the rigs where not dry and the 5er had forgot to unhook their electrical and water cables. Those were still attached and we had to shut off the water. What they did not know was that the water was all from hot springs and, as it dried, would have left a coating on their rigs that is almost impossible to remove. I'll bet they couldn't see out the windshield. We did have signs posted about not washing rigs with the water and why but they were in to much of a hurry to read them.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most campers are still the same as they use to be, friendly, socialable and helpful. I simply believe that there's a new breed of RVers out there. Unlike many of us, we've worked our way up from tent camping to the 5ers or As. This new breed started out with the As.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We were in our favorite campground over the weekend, pulled in Friday and set up. Wife and grandson came in later. Two 5th wheels, obviously together pulled in next. Was sitting outside reading at the picnic table. The two men for the 5th wheels came around and opened a compartment. They completely ignored me even though I said hello. Now, who's the "snob"?
They also had a large dog, put it on a 20-25' tether. He came under their rig into our site and was checking out the BBQ I had going. Rules are the leash length is 6' max. Saw someone in a TT playing frisby with their dog, off leash. I didn't report either instance of rule breaking.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelarry View Post
Most campers are still the same as they use to be, friendly, socialable and helpful. I simply believe that there's a new breed of RVers out there. Unlike many of us, we've worked our way up from tent camping to the 5ers or As. This new breed started out with the As.
Not sure what you mean by that...

I am one of those new breeds. I admit...makes me rather an idjiot on some areas but I think the OP was referring to attitude. Granted, maybe I haven't "paid my dues" as you have. I respect that fact and acknowledge that I am at a huge bend in the learning curve. But I am a learner. I am also a sharer. IF I learn something, I pass it on.

OTOH, in one weekend (My first full one) I have seen my fair share of idiots, likable in many cases, but idiots. Some of them are long time campers that have worked up the food chain but are still idiots.

I guess I am trying to say that there will be those that will be snobs. There are those that won't. I'm no certain that there is a template to what kinds of rigs, experiences, and state of grace that broadly puts folks into either category.

That being said, I can at least empathize with the "good ole' days" thoughts. I wouldn't even begin to diminish the experiences folks like yourself have achieved.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ATHUNDERDRIVER...hope I didn't offend you!!! I also didn't want to mean that there is a right of passage for campers. For me, it comes down to the individuals and not who they are or where they have come from. But for those SNOBS, whether seasoned campers or newbees, I just ignore them & let them live in their own world. We use our RV for relaxation, travelling & recreation, not for showing off or saying 'LOOK AT US'!!! For me, the SNOBS are the same as a rude Customer Service Representatives. Life & RVing are for enjoyment.

BTW, are you a Veteran or retired veteran? Just wondering, by looking at your AVATAR.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #9

As a workamper let me put in my 2 cents. People are still people some good some not so good. I have seen snooty renters as much as A'ers etc. the problem, rules are out the window. Almost no class of people follow rules any more, rules aren't made for me I'll do as I please! When u tell someone they are breaking a rule, they look at you and want to know who the hell are you to tell me I can't do which is written on the guide or map when u check in, have a problem with something in the campground, then u know who I am. There is no solution to this as there are still a lot of knowing people out there young and old, so just give em a big ole smile, honory people don't like to be smiled at cause they don't know how. Oh yeah, don't park on my grass. Just sayin.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have to tell you that I read your post the other day and have been thinking about it ever since.

I have noticed some of the same thing on the site.........but different people have different strokes is what I have realized.

My DH says I am very friendly and I guess that is why we haven't noticed any of the class stuff while out and about. I tend to smile and talk to anyone and everyone. LOL Not sure if that is really a good thing but it works for us.

WE love to meet people and so it doesn't matter where we are we are social and tend to share what I bake while there too. That might help some. LOL

So I guess if I see something on the site that bugs me I have learned to ignore it and realize that we are all different and I look forward to meeting anyone in the places that we stay! Works for us and we love irv2 so much information here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkauffman101 View Post
When my wife and I were in the researching phase of purchasing our first RT I began reading this site. Upon completion of the purchase I continued to read this site due to the wealth of helpful knowledge I found. I have continued to visit this site daily, if not more frequently.

In one days time I have become truly amazed with some of these posts. Sure we all need to get some things off our chest from time to time, but this just amazes me with what we as a whole have become.

When I started camping as a young man, I was always amazed how complete strangers acted as friends. How strangers offered a helping hand out of the kindness of their hearts. How everyone waited to greet their next neighbors.

Reading a couple posts today makes me question what happened to the personality of campers. The recent post "are class a camping snobs" needs to look deeper. I think we are all snobs anymore.

A simple gripe about dog poop turned into complaints about perfume. Later today I read people assume tent campers will be partying all night.

I've camped in a tent. I've camped in a pop-up. I've camped in a 20-something year old camper. I've camped in a nicer camper.

When I did these things I didn't look to my neighbors jealous of their rigs, or looking down at them because mine was nicer. If that's how people are these days, or this applies to you....just stay home.

There used to be a bond at any given campground that you wouldn't find elsewhere. What happened to that bond?
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To me you have to take it as a grain of salt. Alot of the stuff I just try to ignore. I can't believe where some posts start and lead into something, well at times undescribable. Ignore and move on I guess is the best.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well there is an old saying "Takes all kinds"

I have met a few rude, un-neighborly types at campgrounds, but for the most part the folks I come accross are the best of the lot, Friendly and helpful to a fault in some cases.

As to what happened.. The economy.

Imagine some gentelman, he has a house, an RV, a job and a mortague.. Well, the RV is paid for, but the boss comes in and says "Well Bob, I'm sorry to have to tell you this but .. You've been downsized" Now Bob is pushing 50 and no way is he finding another job in this enviorment.. The bank takes the house forcing him to fulll time.

Need I say more.

Actually.. I'm not far removed from that story.

(The RV is not paid for, I decided to retire, and the bank took the house with my blessing)
Old 05-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #13

I run a Campground and for the most part people are good. BUT, there are those that you can't please in any way or fashion and whose poop don't stink. I've learned to just smile and walk on. lol Drives them crazy.

Mark

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #14

When I originally posted this, it was not directed at this site, or anyone on it for that matter. It was a bit of venting and frustration about how we as a human race have become.

It's sad to see the concept of brotherhood leave our minds. Campgrounds and their visitors were one of the last places I saw these beliefs. If by chance you are reading this post and think "man he's talking about me," change your ways.

Remember my shortcomings are mine. If you don't approve of me or my actions, kindly walk away, chances are I'll be looking forward to you walking away anyways.

If you are reading this thinking, "I'm tired of those (moderator edit) too," pull your chair to my campfire any day.