Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #15

I bought a new Chevy 2500 classic 3/4 ton 4x4 in 2007. It was actually a leftover 2006 body style titled as a 2007 but everybody wanted the newer body style and I got it for 33k. It has about 75000 miles on it and a few months ago when it was at the dealer for a fuel filter change, the dealer offered me $25000 cash for it, not trade but cash. He had somebody wanting a used truck and I considered it because we now have a MH and could get by with a half ton if need be. I went out on the lot and everything I wanted was 43-50 thousand dollars in a half ton gas burner and a 3/4 ton diesel was 55-65k. I decided that $1000 per year depreciation wasn't too bad and it's paid for.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
I think your assertion is in error. Gas engine 1/2 ton pickups have more power than ever, with many well over 350 HP. My 2013 F150 has 365 HP and 420 pounds of torque. Chevy has a 420HP-460 pound torque gas engine available in their 1/2 ton truck.

And payloads are also higher than ever, with the new F150 having payload packages of over 3000 pounds available. New standard suspension F150 crewcabs I've seen at dealers have payloads over 1800 pounds.
That 150 standard cab W/ 3,000# payload, it's calculated with a 155# driver, no passengers or cargo, 1/2 tank fuel. What would you do, have DW follow with kids and cargo?
Sure they build fast pickups that get lousy mileage, but the vast majority are fuel economizers to comply with EPA rules which now apply to pickups too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
For less than that price we bought a used Class A (gas) and new car for a toad.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:43 AM   #18

From my 'limited' knowledge, there are several other factors that need to be considered when getting a tow vehicle. While a 1/2 ton may seem to be the way to go and in fact may be able to tow a desired weight, but what about braking, extra wear on the suspension and being able to handle hilly travels? I do agree in that the cost of 3/4 ton-1 ton trucks has gone through the roof, there are deals to be found, it just take time to find them.
As has already been said, one can get a good used Class MH for less money then the cost of a new truck and fifth wheel trailer.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That 150 standard cab W/ 3,000# payload, it's calculated with a 155# driver, no passengers or cargo, 1/2 tank fuel. What would you do, have DW follow with kids and cargo?
Sure they build fast pickups that get lousy mileage, but the vast majority are fuel economizers to comply with EPA rules which now apply to pickups too.
What's a DW?

Ford figures payload with all fluids, including a full gas tank, and no people aboard. In any event your assertion that modern pick ups are inferior to older ones in power and capacity is not borne out by the facts. Note too that the most popular F150 engine is the 365 HP 3.5 Ecoboost and that the new 2.7 Ecoboost, the most economical engine in the line, makes more horsepower (325) and torque (375 pounds) than many of the V8s of the past. Power is not suffering in the quest for better economy.

We've come a long way from the 145 HP straight six of my 1994 F150.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
I bought a new Chevy 2500 classic 3/4 ton 4x4 in 2007. It was actually a leftover 2006 body style titled as a 2007 but everybody wanted the newer body style and I got it for 33k. It has about 75000 miles on it and a few months ago when it was at the dealer for a fuel filter change, the dealer offered me $25000 cash for it, not trade but cash. He had somebody wanting a used truck and I considered it because we now have a MH and could get by with a half ton if need be. I went out on the lot and everything I wanted was 43-50 thousand dollars in a half ton gas burner and a 3/4 ton diesel was 55-65k. I decided that $1000 per year depreciation wasn't too bad and it's paid for.
You have the most desirable version ever built of the Duramax-the veritable LBZ. All the mechanical upgrades of the newest version but 1 year before the EPA equipment was added. Read up on the diesel boards and see for yourself.

You could easily get 35k or more if it's a crew cab. I would ask at least 39k if I listed that truck for sale today. With 75k miles she's as rare as hen's teeth right now that's why the dealer offered to buy it. Mine has over 200k and I was recently offered 25k for it. I paid 24k in 2008 during the fuel craziness.

It is the first time I have ever owned a vehicle that is worth more 7 years and 160k miles later than I paid for it. And you stole yours btw
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
You have the most desirable version ever built of the Duramax-the veritable LBZ. All the mechanical upgrades of the newest version but 1 year before the EPA equipment was added. Read up on the diesel boards and see for yourself.

You could easily get 35k or more if it's a crew cab. I would ask at least 39k if I listed that truck for sale today. With 75k miles she's as rare as hen's teeth right now that's why the dealer offered to buy it. Mine has over 200k and I was recently offered 25k for it. I paid 24k in 2008 during the fuel craziness.

It is the first time I have ever owned a vehicle that is worth more 7 years and 160k miles later than I paid for it. And you stole yours btw

It's a crew cab, LS package with cloth seats, 4x4, and a B&W hitch in the bed. I drive it to work 3-4 times a week and drive the Wrangler toad the other days. About the only towing it does now is an occasional haul of the tractor to the hunting property. I think I'll keep it until we retire and downsize.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
What's a DW?
DW stands for Dear Wife, DH means Dear Husband, DD - Dear Daughter, DS - Dear Son and so on. Some of these abbreviations take a little imagination.

Tags
diesel